Show me your lever action rifles please! (Read 8399 times)

Mr. Farknocker

Show me your lever action rifles please!
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
Been noticing the cover of a gun mag near the toilet with a couple of lever action rifles pasted all over it and am beginning to fall in love with the nostalgic, gun smoke, John Wayne-like looking actions. Who owns one and what do you like and don't like about it. Oh yeah, pics would be nice too!

robtmc

Re: Show me your lever action rifles please!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
Never owned one, never really got the urge either.  Guess learning shooting with a M-14 sort of cemented my orientation as to action type.  Same with bolt actions.

A buddy from the Corps did have a really cool Marlin in .444 Magnum that would hurt you.  I did like that gun just for the bodaciousness of it.

nf9648

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:22:50 PM »
Only one I have, my Winchester 94/22.  Was my first gun, got it when I was 11 or 12 on a road trip in South Dakota; shot everything I could in the Badlands that year.

swissk31

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liberalism is a mental disorder - M. Savage
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Show me your lever action rifles please!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
That's a fine looking k31 you have.

Cpt.Englehorn

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
Heres an Iron Framed Henry, 44-40, Real Case Colors, High Grade Walnut Stock Pattered after a real Henry Stock.

Heres a real Winchester 73, made in 1882, 44-40, round barrel.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:09:01 PM by Cpt.Englehorn »
High Ho Lock and Load, The Engines are Runnin We're Ready to Roll.......

GZire

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »
^^^Nice.

spanner1751

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
My two 9422s.

Colt808

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
Been noticing the cover of a gun mag near the toilet with a couple of lever action rifles pasted all over it and am beginning to fall in love with the nostalgic, gun smoke, John Wayne-like looking actions. Who owns one and what do you like and don't like about it. Oh yeah, pics would be nice too!

Lever action rifles remind me of being in Aviano as a kid, back when "Americano Televisa" consisted of westerns like The Rifleman dubbed in Italian. Cowboys were pretty cool even when you've got no clue what's being said.

I'd love to pickup an vintage 1892 someday...

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.

numbertwo

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
Might be a silly question but is it just me or are their older lever action rifles that expelled the empty casing off the top of the rifle?

nf9648

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 03:44:50 AM »
That's a fine looking k31 you have.

Thanks, if I have a safe queen that would be the one.  Only flaw it has is a small spot on the buttplate where it rested on the sling for a month which caused some rust and pitting through the bluing, otherwise it is like new from the factory.  1938 manufactured.

Heavies

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:47:28 AM »
Might be a silly question but is it just me or are their older lever action rifles that expelled the empty casing off the top of the rifle?
yes

This is probably a useless tool, but if I ever had some disposable income, I want one in .357 mag...

Rossi Ranch Hand www.rossiusa.com

Colt808

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 06:17:58 AM »
yes

This is probably a useless tool, but if I ever had some disposable income, I want one in .357 mag...
http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/Ranch_Hand_2.jpg

Rossi Ranch Hand www.rossiusa.com

Not as useless as me wanting one in .44-40. If Hawaii law's were different, I'd probably pickup a mare's leg (ala Steve McQueen)...

or Zombieland for the younger folk.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.

Cpt.Englehorn

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 08:44:42 AM »
nothin wrong with havin a mare's leg around here, its a tad pricey but a fun piece none the less.

clshade

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »
They even use them in the gritty, dystopian future:

Mr. Farknocker

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »

Mr. Farknocker

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
Heres an Iron Framed Henry, 44-40, Real Case Colors, High Grade Walnut Stock Pattered after a real Henry Stock.

Heres a real Winchester 73, made in 1882, 44-40, round barrel.

Question: On some of the old rifles that have worn or pitted barrels, what can be done to restore them? Is there a process to do that without replacing the whole barrel (assuming the barrel can be separated from the action)? Can the barrels be reamed and can the rifling be restored, cleaned up or reconditioned with some sort of knurling process?

GZire

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »

Yes there are top ejection port lever action rifles.

Cpt.Englehorn

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Question: On some of the old rifles that have worn or pitted barrels, what can be done to restore them? Is there a process to do that without replacing the whole barrel (assuming the barrel can be separated from the action)? Can the barrels be reamed and can the rifling be restored, cleaned up or reconditioned with some sort of knurling process?

Yes barrels can be relined, the inner barrel is drilled out and a new "barrel" put in. The exterior finish stays the same as does the markings, I have another 73 I had it done to, bore was bad, this one is pitted but the rifling is still strong, id rate it atleast a 6-7 out of 10. There are a number of gunsmiths that do relining, Randall Redman in Washington is one of the best.

spanner1751

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »

I had a 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield barrel relined. If you need that kind of work done, check around the blackpowder cartridge forums, and you will probably be able to find a 'smith to do the job.

spanner1751

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 06:00:41 PM »
Incredibly beautiful!

Thanks. The front rifle with the nice wood is a centennial model, and the one in the rear is a case-colored model that I got from CDNN. The centennial model is one of a handful of rifles that I probably won't ever shoot.