Pistol RDS - Closed Emitter - Experiences & Recommendations (Read 13170 times)

drck1000

Pistol RDS - Closed Emitter - Experiences & Recommendations
« on: August 08, 2022, 01:21:10 PM »
Share your experiences and recommendations for closed emitter RDS for pistols.

Just ordered a Holosun EPS Carry from Midway.  Signed up for notification over the weekend and got the notification some came in stock this morning. 

Have been researching a lot more about pistol RDS, particularly for a Glock 43x that I bought recently.  The EPS Carry is one that is for the "slim" Glocks, but also have been researching a lot of the Aimpoint, Steiner, and Holosun 509T for full sized handguns a lot lately.  Good feedback from some YTers as well as a trusted instructor friend.  Know a couple of members here picked them up recently as well.

It will be a couple of weeks until I have both the gun and RDS to test, but already looking forward to trying both. 

changemyoil66

Re: Pistol RDS - Closed Emitter - Experiences & Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 04:39:35 PM »
U gotta slow down, wait for me. I gotta rds first. At least im 1 step closer by having an optics ready gun.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 07:26:16 AM »
U gotta slow down, wait for me. I gotta rds first. At least im 1 step closer by having an optics ready gun.

Wait?  Uh, always progressing.  May be slow and sporadic progression at times, but progression. 

You have the gun.  Just pick a dot and run with it.  Don't worry so much about what is best, main things get experience. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 08:37:41 AM »
Wait?  Uh, always progressing.  May be slow and sporadic progression at times, but progression. 

You have the gun.  Just pick a dot and run with it.  Don't worry so much about what is best, main things get experience.

If I get HI CCW, then guaranz gonna RDS. This will be the hold up cause if no CCW's are issued, then the Shield will be a safe queen. And I dont plan on RDSing my SB pistols cause would have to mill and IMO I wanna keep the M45 the way it is. The VP9 not too much of a worry about keeping stock.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 08:40:06 PM »
Just rolled my coin jug. Could buy almost 1 optic, but im gonna blow on 1 hand of a game in vegas. Double up or go broke.

dogman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 09:01:44 PM »
Just rolled my coin jug.

That's what thats all about.

dogman

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 09:06:19 PM »
Just rolled my coin jug. Could buy almost 1 optic, but im gonna blow on 1 hand of a game in vegas. Double up or go broke.

I'll stake you one hand, split it if you win :crazy:

:stopjack:

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 10:22:33 PM »
Ill start new thread.

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 08:33:37 AM »
Saw 1 YTer that isn't famous, like maybe he had a few thousand views. But his draw from CCW is good. So he's not some random untrained guy.  He mentions he likes the closed emitters because he's cleaning his open emitter daily from lint and stuff. I forgot which one he's currently running, but it's on his P365X.

Now the closed emitter is peaking more of my interest. But still leaning toward the 507K. I def don't want an Acro as it is way too bulky for the Shield.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 09:45:11 AM »
Saw 1 YTer that isn't famous, like maybe he had a few thousand views. But his draw from CCW is good. So he's not some random untrained guy.  He mentions he likes the closed emitters because he's cleaning his open emitter daily from lint and stuff. I forgot which one he's currently running, but it's on his P365X.

Now the closed emitter is peaking more of my interest. But still leaning toward the 507K. I def don't want an Acro as it is way too bulky for the Shield.
I've been seeing a lot more videos on the EPS lately, but many "YT goobers" and even click-bait.  One was on rants of EPS, but mostly on delay in release.  He threw in criticisms of Holosun reticles, but that was in general.  Anyways, have to always filter the noise to get to the signal.  Was watching a video on the P320 with Sig Romeo and the "expert shooters" were ranting on an on about poor shooting because of the trigger.  They were getting roasted on the comments. 

The occlusion of the emitter is something I noted.  I had training/class sessions in the rain and experienced range of emitter blockage to the multiple image thing. 

Agree that the ACRO is bulky, but seems to be one of the toughest, well tested, etc.  Overall, I think the EPS will be a good balance.  Will see when I get mine. 

esk808

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 10:34:02 AM »
I'm more old style.

I had a C-More railway reflex sight on my Volquartsen pistol, but got rid of the sight (and gun).
I wish I had that Volquartsen Ruger MKIII pistol though.....
Also had an Ultradot HD micro rds, but sold that too.

I have an Aimpoint T-1 on a Larue QD mount which I use on my SW M41.  Looks kinda .... either you like it or don't like it........
I would really like an Aimpoint Acro P2, but I'm not really into pistol shooting at the moment.

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 01:41:32 PM »
I'm more old style.

I had a C-More railway reflex sight on my Volquartsen pistol, but got rid of the sight (and gun).
I wish I had that Volquartsen Ruger MKIII pistol though.....
Also had an Ultradot HD micro rds, but sold that too.

I have an Aimpoint T-1 on a Larue QD mount which I use on my SW M41.  Looks kinda .... either you like it or don't like it........
I would really like an Aimpoint Acro P2, but I'm not really into pistol shooting at the moment.
I have a T-1 and CompM5 on a couple of rifles.  Never tried them on a pistol, but I've seen them used in that way. 

Yeah, the ACRO is bulky, but depends on purpose.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 07:51:03 PM »
I got the EPS Carry the other weekend. When going to install on my 48 MOS I noticed the screws were too long. I compared the EPS Carry to a 407K X2 and noticed it was .03 inch shorter where the mounting screws go. Cut the old screws down and filed to .03 inch shorter and was able to mount it properly.

I went to X-Ring on Saturday. They only had some 115gr HP, so I only shot 50rds trying to get a rough zero. The windage adjustment wasn't tracking correctly as I wasn't seeing a change when attempting to bring the shot group to the left. Messed with it at home and was able to see a shift in the dot position. Maybe I can hit up KHSC this weekend to zero it with 147gr stuff.

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2022, 08:04:30 PM »
My EPS Carry arrived today. Still waiting on the gun…

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 08:05:27 PM »
I got the EPS Carry the other weekend. When going to install on my 48 MOS I noticed the screws were too long. I compared the EPS Carry to a 407K X2 and noticed it was .03 inch shorter where the mounting screws go. Cut the old screws down and filed to .03 inch shorter and was able to mount it properly.

I went to X-Ring on Saturday. They only had some 115gr HP, so I only shot 50rds trying to get a rough zero. The windage adjustment wasn't tracking correctly as I wasn't seeing a change when attempting to bring the shot group to the left. Messed with it at home and was able to see a shift in the dot position. Maybe I can hit up KHSC this weekend to zero it with 147gr stuff.
Shucks. Hope things turn out ok.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2022, 09:04:57 AM »
Went to DCT last night and a friend picked up the SCS from David.

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2022, 09:05:55 AM »

Does zeroing with 115 vs. 147gr matter big time? I mean, I shoot 115 range ammo, so I should use that to zero right?  And know where my shots go when I use HD ammo.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2022, 09:20:08 AM »
Does zeroing with 115 vs. 147gr matter big time? I mean, I shoot 115 range ammo, so I should use that to zero right?  And know where my shots go when I use HD ammo.

Glock recommends shooting 124 gr or heavier ammo in their 9mm pistols.  Heavier projectiles not only increase accuracy (more mass = less susceptible to forces of wind, etc.), they also create more force inside the gun, helping it to cycle as designed.

That's the theory, anyway.  YMMV.

Glock was having ejection issues in most of their Gen 4 9mm pistols.  The direction of the spent brass when ejected was sporadic, and it often flew into the shooter's face!  We experienced this, so I contacted Glock.  They suggested using the recommended bullet weight to see if that helped.  I found out this was a widely known issue caused by the redesigned ejector and trigger parts for that gen.  Eventually Glock started putting a newer ejector in these pistols, but never did a recall of the previous parts.

I replaced the trigger and associated parts with an upgrade kit, and the problem was about 90% fixed.  Still got an occasional brass near the face, but it was rare.

Anyway, that's how I was informed of the 124 gr bullet recommendation directly from Glock.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 09:22:53 AM »
Went to DCT last night and a friend picked up the SCS from David.
Cool.  Let us know what your friend thinks of the SCS.

My 43x slide came back last night, but still in permit purgatory. . .

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 09:32:47 AM »
verify, verify, verify

I mostly shoot 115 gr, but in the past few years have been shooting a lot more 124 gr range fodder.  Had done a lot of testing with various pistols and POI from 115 gr range stuff to 124 JHP was spot on.  Haven't chrono'ed, but since POI was same, that's all I checked.  I have a chrono that can check pistol ammo too, and will check when I get back into loading up for pistol.