Firearms Training - Sharing Experience (Read 82567 times)

raudi

Re: Firearms Training - Sharing Experience
« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2020, 08:39:20 AM »
Attended in a rifle/carbine class this past weekend and another GREAT time shooting.  Another great class, great weather, and a couple of shooting friends that I've shot with quite a bit in other groups were able to join in, so that was awesome!  Always good when good people invest the time into getting quality training. 

This was my first time back shooting a carbine since mid-March.  A little rusty, but not nearly as rusty as I was with the handgun, which is to be expected.  Long guns are way more forgiving on the perishable nature of shooting skills than handguns.  This was a foundation level carbine class with this group and included a number of people new to shooting.  Many had shot in the previous handgun classes or had their friends or spouse out for the first time, so it was a good mix of people.  Firearms safety is essential and always highly stressed with this group and it showed over the course of the day. 

Highlights/Notes:

1) Shot my "trusted" AR with EoTech in this class.  I've been wanting to shoot other uppers with different optics, but after the layoff, I decided to go with the upper with the EoTech.  In a previous rifle course, I shot my LPVO.  I thought about shooting that one as well, but figured best to stick to the basics for this one.  I've gotten very used to the EoTech reticle over the years, but I also want to spend more time with the simple red dot optic like Aimpoints.  I have a couple of ARs with the "simple" Aimpoints, so I should spend more time shooting those as well in a class/training environment.

2) No gear changes, tweaks, or failures this class.  There were a couple of shooters that had some kinks with their gear and it seemed like a couple were new rifles.  Totally understandable that they didn't have time to have shot the new rifles during the shutdown, but a reminder even for me that I need time to try/test things out when trying new stuff. 

3) Was actually "good" to see folks finding out that their setup had issues during the class and trying different arrangements to find what works, or at least what worked better.  I'm a big advocate of needing to shoot in class/training to iron stuff like that out.  I've learned lessons the hard way showing up to a class with a new setup and finding I didn't like it.  Part of the learning.  Always learning.  As mentioned previously, also good to see what other shooters have and able to pick their brains on it.  Also for newer shooters to see what's out there and get gear recommendations, especially what gear types or companies to avoid (because they sell crap). 

4) The live fire started out with stuff that worked on fundamentals with a logical progression.  The drills eventually transitioned to include opportunity to really test stuff like recoil management.  One of the things that the instructors in this group typically comment on for me is to push to find the point where things start to "mess up" my target.  There were times that I really thought I was pushing it and the target was still decent.  Need to focus more on pushing things and progress. 

5) I ended up being in the same relay as my two friends that were in this class for the first time.  That was an awesome experience on many levels, particularly for the friendly competition aspect.  It also allowed time in between relays to ask some things while the instructors were on the line with the other relay. 

6) Total round count wasn't that high, but if really felt like there was "quality" in the rounds shot.  The day ended with the feeling that I had shot more than I did.  I mean yeah, I would have loved to have continued to have kept shooting given the layoff, but probably a good thing that we stopped where we did because I was pretty sore the next day. 

Again, always fun day on the range with this group.  Little better "in-shape" and hopefully I'll be able to shoot more consistently ahead of some other classes planned for later this summer.  I've definitely got the shooting bug back.  Thankfully I'm mostly ok on the ammo stores right now, but I'll probably need to start keeping an eye on ammo deals.

who offers this class?

changemyoil66

« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
Took a HDF carbine skill builder this weekend.

1) 1st drill was starting cold and with your rifle in your bag/case.  Run 15 yards, uncase and load and shoot circle the size of a pan pizza at 7 yards in 20 seconds.  This was an interesting drill because some people transport their rifles in a small bag, so they have to separate the upper from the lower. Which means they had to assemble it before shooting.  They ran out of time. 

For us, I had 2 rifles in 1 hardcase (Mrs. CMO and I), and had the red dot cover on.  Mrs. CMO doesn't pack and unpack so she didn't know on the case there are 2 more clips on the side.  She was able to load and make ready, but ran out of time.

For me, I was able to get 9 shots off, but was point and shooting because I left my optic cover on because I didn't know how much time I had.  Got 2 of the 9 hits in the circle, the other shots were on the 8x11 paper.  Next time I would remove the optic cover.  Also both butt stocks were folded in the the max so they fit into the case.  Not a big deal, but noticeable.

2) Did more shooting at 7 yards so POA/POI is important to know.  From both high and low ready.  I noticed im more accurate with high ready.

3) For the 1st time I shot with my rifle buttstock tucked under my armpit.  Target was only 2 yards away.  Drill was 4 shots in the pan pizza circle, then shoulder and 1 shot in a box smaller than an index card.  Grouping for armpit shots were all touching.  But spread out like the size of a jalapino.  This was more fun than it would seem.  Important to squeeze the arm down tight on the butt stock so you maintain recoil control.

drck1000

« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2020, 12:53:24 PM »
Took a HDF carbine skill builder this weekend.

1) 1st drill was starting cold and with your rifle in your bag/case.  Run 15 yards, uncase and load and shoot circle the size of a pan pizza at 7 yards in 20 seconds.  This was an interesting drill because some people transport their rifles in a small bag, so they have to separate the upper from the lower. Which means they had to assemble it before shooting.  They ran out of time. 

For us, I had 2 rifles in 1 hardcase (Mrs. CMO and I), and had the red dot cover on.  Mrs. CMO doesn't pack and unpack so she didn't know on the case there are 2 more clips on the side.  She was able to load and make ready, but ran out of time.

For me, I was able to get 9 shots off, but was point and shooting because I left my optic cover on because I didn't know how much time I had.  Got 2 of the 9 hits in the circle, the other shots were on the 8x11 paper.  Next time I would remove the optic cover.  Also both butt stocks were folded in the the max so they fit into the case.  Not a big deal, but noticeable.

2) Did more shooting at 7 yards so POA/POI is important to know.  From both high and low ready.  I noticed im more accurate with high ready.

3) For the 1st time I shot with my rifle buttstock tucked under my armpit.  Target was only 2 yards away.  Drill was 4 shots in the pan pizza circle, then shoulder and 1 shot in a box smaller than an index card.  Grouping for armpit shots were all touching.  But spread out like the size of a jalapino.  This was more fun than it would seem.  Important to squeeze the arm down tight on the butt stock so you maintain recoil control.
Thank you for sharing! 

1) That's an interesting "thing to make you go hmm" scenario.  One great thing about something like that drill is that I'm sure it introduced a good amount of stress.  IMO experiencing that is important in context of defensive situations.  Just a side note, it's pretty eye opening what kind of shoot placement can be achieved by "other than sights".  Not advocating for that, but interesting "what if".  Since we were little, we learn to point at something of interest.  I used to shoot with a guy that at 65+, he had a hard time focusing on the front sight of his AR.  He was actually able to get pretty decent hits from essentially point shooting lead by his support hand.  Again, I'm not advocating for shooting in that manner, but it was interesting to see. 

2) Yup, offsets due to height over bore for carbines is key for defensive shooting.  I do drills or exercises on that aspect of carbine shooting quite often.  As for being more accurate from low ready or high ready, did you mean you feel like you're able to acquire the sights faster?  The ready position shouldn't affect your accuracy, as long as you're solid getting into shooting frame/position. 

3) Think you've been watching Desperado too many times.   :P

Sounds like a fun day on the range.  Great that you could share it with Mrs. CMO.  Is she all healed up now? 

changemyoil66

« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2020, 12:58:44 PM »
Thank you for sharing! 

1) That's an interesting "thing to make you go hmm" scenario.  One great thing about something like that drill is that I'm sure it introduced a good amount of stress.  IMO experiencing that is important in context of defensive situations.  Just a side note, it's pretty eye opening what kind of shoot placement can be achieved by "other than sights".  Not advocating for that, but interesting "what if".  Since we were little, we learn to point at something of interest.  I used to shoot with a guy that at 65+, he had a hard time focusing on the front sight of his AR.  He was actually able to get pretty decent hits from essentially point shooting lead by his support hand.  Again, I'm not advocating for shooting in that manner, but it was interesting to see. 

2) Yup, offsets due to height over bore for carbines is key for defensive shooting.  I do drills or exercises on that aspect of carbine shooting quite often.  As for being more accurate from low ready or high ready, did you mean you feel like you're able to acquire the sights faster?  The ready position shouldn't affect your accuracy, as long as you're solid getting into shooting frame/position. 

3) Think you've been watching Desperado too many times.   :P

Sounds like a fun day on the range.  Great that you could share it with Mrs. CMO.  Is she all healed up now?

Her foot is a little better.  But still has the plantar faciutis. Every skill builder, she says she wont spring.  But then when the last exercise happens, her competitiveness kicks in and she's sprinting. 

drck1000

« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
Over the past two weeks, attended a rifle/carbine 2 class and a rifle & pistol skill builder.  All great training.  Both classes got rained on here and there, which has pretty much become a tradition with this group and location.  My work has been crazy the past few weeks, so it was good to squeeze training days in there and serve as my days of meditation and get away from work.  Much needed recoil therapy. 

Highlights/Notes:

1) Both days included starting off shooting standards.  Always good to see how your skills are progressing, or sometimes digressing with the perishable nature of these skills.  After layoffs from shooting, I tend to approach the standards courses of fire "safely", but have been encouraged to push things more, which I was able to do.  In the rifle course a few weeks back, I pushed things a bit and ended up missing my goal for the standards by just a little due to penalty for a miss.  Was still pretty happy overall after not having shot carbine for a while.  This past weekend was a chance at redemption and I was able to make my goal for the standard by shooting it clean and almost 0.5 sec under.  It was close though as I had one hit that was on the line. 

2) Shooting pistol and rifle together in similar courses of fire shows me how much more effort I need to concentrate on my pistol shooting.  I enjoy shooting both pistol and carbine, but I enjoy shooting carbine a LOT more.  That said, I always understood that things are generally easier with a carbine in many regards, but I was admittedly humbled in that I wasn't nearly the pistol shooter that I thought I was.  Good to be humbled at times and stay hungry for improvement.  Also got some sage advice after from a trusted friend. 

3) No gear changes, tweaks, or failures during this class.  Though I did shoot the latter part of the day with a PC.  I rarely get to shoot with the PC, so it's always a good experience.  There were a few others that shot with their PC as well and some had some gear issues to iron out, buy mostly minor things like placement of certain elements.  I was able to confirm that there wasn't a conflict with my usual setup with the addition of the PC. 

4) Always good to be shooting under the keen eye of knowledgeable instructors.  In this past weekend's course, a few buddies that I shoot with often in another group was able to attend this class.  While it's always good to shoot with buddies, I found that observing them (some of them were in a different relay) provided a whole different perspective on the course.  To be able to see what others were doing and listen to the tips that they got.  That was always an aspect of attending shooting courses I enjoyed, but having shooting buddies there elevated that experience. 

5) Friendly competition is always a good thing.  I was sharing a target with another shooter that attends a lot of courses with this group.  He was in the first relay when we were shooting the standards.  Of course, I peeked over at his target and noticed his times.  I noticed he was shooting very well and times were very good.  That pushed me even harder.  Later in the day, one of the instructors lined up next to me in a drill and threw down a "let's go" challenge.  I was totally pumped and up for it.  It was a relatively simple course of fire and one that I had done flawlessly maybe just a minute before.  Well, with the added pressure of the challenge, I had a slight fumble and fell behind and lost.  I always look for that sort of challenge and see how I respond.  I didn't respond well that day, but looking forward to improving in that aspect and need that sort of challenge to push myself.

6) Got a lot of tips on how to clean up my own shooting.  One is being confident in being able to execute a skill with good accuracy and time and not worry about making up time.  I noticed that tendency in shot transitions, where noticed my hits getting sloppy.  Another example is concentrating on the reload, which is say step 3, and that causing a loss of focus on step 2, due to me desire or thought that I needed to make up time on step 3.  Need to train step 3 and trust that I can complete the skill as well as focus on step 2.  A lot of shooting is mental, and that always needs work. 

7) There were times when the pace of shooting with the carbine got the gun very hot.  I haven't been wearing gloves for classes lately, though I have no problem with using them.  A few months back, I switched out the rail covers out to one that was rated as being very heat resistant and not passing heat (it has no metal parts).  While the gun got really hot to the touch, it was still comfortable without gloves.  Other shooters needed gloves without the scales. 

8) Have to figure out a way and never give up.  Personally, to remember the defensive context and mindset of this type of training.  For me, that comes with adjusting to some physical limitations.  Not major, but some old injuries have caught up to me and I just need to find a way to adjust and work through them.  Similar can be said for many other shooters, but important thing is keeping aware of the mindset of this type of training.  Yeah, some folks may be in it for improving shot splits for competition, which I would say also interests me, but I am in this type of training primarily for context of defending myself and loved ones. 

9) Quality of training and vetting your trainers is important.  We're spending a lot of money as well as dedicating a lot of time.  I truly think of it as an investment and am lucky to attend shooting classes with this group.  I am also VERY happy that many of my shooting buddies are now attending these classes with me and I've already seen improvement in their shooting after a couple of classes.  I really like the style and progression of these instructors and am always looking forward to more.

10) One of the instructors asked me where I want to get to as a shooter.  I have said many times with them and in this thread that I always enjoy working fundamentals, and with more regular range days, I hope to continue to improve that.  But where I really want to get to is an opportunity to shoot side-by-side with these instructors and I am the level where they feel that they have to be on their A-game.  Of course, I realize I am not there yet, but that's where I want to be.  I am looking forward to more "let's go" challenges with these instructors.  I also appreciate that they enjoy the challenge as well and not only humor me, but have fun with the challenge as well. 

11) Correcting old bad habits is a lot harder than training new habits.  That's something I mentioned many times before in this thread, and saw that a lot this weekend.  While I surely would like to be shooting more regularly, maybe the break due to COVID was a good thing as it gave me time to reset.  Yeah, I still see old bad habits creeping back in here and there, but less and less.

Once again, always a fun day on the range with this group.  I am also seeing more and more friends of mine express interest in becoming firearms owners for a variety of reasons.  The difficulties of becoming a first time firearms owner in Hawaii aside, I just hope they invest in quality training once they make the decision to become responsible firearm owners. 

drck1000

« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »
It's a little over a month since my last live fire training session.  Haven't been doing as much dry fire/manipulations as I has planned, or at least I said I would after that training session.  Anyways, have been chatting back and forth on email and social media with a couple of instructors that I have trained with in the past, as well as one that I'm looking to take a class with eventually.  Anyways, many lessons are life lessons.

1) Be capable or train to help get yourself capable.  In shooting, and life in general, there's physical and mental capabilities and limitations.  It's usually the mental limitations that are hindrances.  As mentioned previously, some old injuries has caught up to me and I was getting pretty down about not being able to do things like how I used to, or at least how I think I should still be able to if it wasn't for the physical stuff.  Anyways, this one instructor that I've been chatting with is pretty fit and an excellent shooter.  However, from years of being a "working professional", he had a lot of injuries over that time.  Then recently, he posted about pushing himself in physical training and that nerve damage in his arm makes stuff like heavy deadlifts difficult almost dangerous at times, but he works through it.  If he hadn't mentioned that, many probably would have never known.  We all have our internal struggles, and up to us to power through, or at least try to.

2) Staying in one's swimlane.  It never ceases to amaze me that people feel the need to chime in and try to show how much they know, or at least think they know.  I mean I know I don't know everything and always willing to learn, but I can usually quickly tell the differences.  Anyways, as I mentioned above, due to lockdown, I have been chatting alot with instructors and often on social media.  A few times this week alone I was in the middle of a conversation and some "expert" decides to chime in and with feedback ranging from  ??? to  ::)  I ignore, but was funny when the instructors come back and put those knuckleheads back into place.   ;D

macsak

« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2020, 07:13:16 PM »
It's a little over a month since my last live fire training session.  Haven't been doing as much dry fire/manipulations as I has planned, or at least I said I would after that training session.  Anyways, have been chatting back and forth on email and social media with a couple of instructors that I have trained with in the past, as well as one that I'm looking to take a class with eventually.  Anyways, many lessons are life lessons.

1) Be capable or train to help get yourself capable.  In shooting, and life in general, there's physical and mental capabilities and limitations.  It's usually the mental limitations that are hindrances.  As mentioned previously, some old injuries has caught up to me and I was getting pretty down about not being able to do things like how I used to, or at least how I think I should still be able to if it wasn't for the physical stuff.  Anyways, this one instructor that I've been chatting with is pretty fit and an excellent shooter.  However, from years of being a "working professional", he had a lot of injuries over that time.  Then recently, he posted about pushing himself in physical training and that nerve damage in his arm makes stuff like heavy deadlifts difficult almost dangerous at times, but he works through it.  If he hadn't mentioned that, many probably would have never known.  We all have our internal struggles, and up to us to power through, or at least try to.

that's what she told me about you

macsak

« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
2) Staying in one's swimlane.  It never ceases to amaze me that people feel the need to chime in and try to show how much they know, or at least think they know.  I mean I know I don't know everything and always willing to learn, but I can usually quickly tell the differences.  Anyways, as I mentioned above, due to lockdown, I have been chatting alot with instructors and often on social media.  A few times this week alone I was in the middle of a conversation and some "expert" decides to chime in and with feedback ranging from  ??? to  ::)  I ignore, but was funny when the instructors come back and put those knuckleheads back into place.   ;D

yeah, your asshole boss doesn't know when to shut up sometimes...

drck1000

« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2020, 07:15:50 PM »
yeah, your asshole boss doesn't know when to shut up sometimes...
Esp when he’s had some whiskey

drck1000

« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2021, 09:59:26 AM »
Was able to stretch the legs on my LPVO setup this past weekend.  Was my first time shooting this setup beyond 350 ish range.  The 200 to 600 yard range was one reason for this setup, so it was good to be able to test it.

Highlights:
1) Target range was 550 yards (+/-).  Setup was BCM midlength upper, 16" BFH barrel and Nightforce ATACR 1-8 and 193.  So nothing particularly special in terms of accuracy.  I had at least a baseline of the velocity of this upper and 193, but not a lot of data.  The data with ballistic app proved to be at least decent in the 200 to 350 yard range with ability to have first shot hits on steel targets about 8" diameter.  It took me about 2-3 shots to get settled on the holds, but the 3.1 mils hold from the ballistic app proved to be "good enough".

2) The clarity of the LPVO is awesome at 350 yards. However, the target at 550 yards was a bit blurry.  I assume it was mostly due to parallax, but the location was a bit misty when we shot at the this particular targets, so not sure what led to the clarity issues.  Will have to try again on a clear(er) and sunny day.

3) The ATACR 1-8 reticle has proven awesome for the "window" that I had envisioned.  Which was 1x red dot like ease of use and performance out to distance.  Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of the ATACR.

Overall great to confirm that the setup can perform as envisioned, at least if I do my part.  Would've been good to see if others could have similar success with this setup, but we only had limited time left in the shooting session.  Am looking forward to shooting this upper at distance more, but happy to know that at least initial results appear to confirm that it's good for the distances envisioned. 

macsak

« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »
tfti

Was able to stretch the legs on my LPVO setup this past weekend.  Was my first time shooting this setup beyond 350 ish range.  The 200 to 600 yard range was one reason for this setup, so it was good to be able to test it.

Highlights:
1) Target range was 550 yards (+/-).  Setup was BCM midlength upper, 16" BFH barrel and Nightforce ATACR 1-8 and 193.  So nothing particularly special in terms of accuracy.  I had at least a baseline of the velocity of this upper and 193, but not a lot of data.  The data with ballistic app proved to be at least decent in the 200 to 350 yard range with ability to have first shot hits on steel targets about 8" diameter.  It took me about 2-3 shots to get settled on the holds, but the 3.1 mils hold from the ballistic app proved to be "good enough".

2) The clarity of the LPVO is awesome at 350 yards. However, the target at 550 yards was a bit blurry.  I assume it was mostly due to parallax, but the location was a bit misty when we shot at the this particular targets, so not sure what led to the clarity issues.  Will have to try again on a clear(er) and sunny day.

3) The ATACR 1-8 reticle has proven awesome for the "window" that I had envisioned.  Which was 1x red dot like ease of use and performance out to distance.  Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of the ATACR.

Overall great to confirm that the setup can perform as envisioned, at least if I do my part.  Would've been good to see if others could have similar success with this setup, but we only had limited time left in the shooting session.  Am looking forward to shooting this upper at distance more, but happy to know that at least initial results appear to confirm that it's good for the distances envisioned.

drck1000

« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
tfti
Only non-assholes allowed. . .

I'm still kinda borderline. . . at least for now. . .  ;D

macsak

« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2021, 11:10:34 AM »
Only non-assholes allowed. . .

I'm still kinda borderline. . . at least for now. . .  ;D

your boss is an asshole...

WTF?Shane

« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2021, 04:55:36 PM »

Highlights:

Saw a deal for a 1-8x ATACR, but passed on it because I rarely get the opportunity to shoot stuff at a distance.

drck1000

« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »
Saw a deal for a 1-8x ATACR, but passed on it because I rarely get the opportunity to shoot stuff at a distance.
I thought you already had an LPVO.

Yeah, opportunities to shoot beyond 100 yards is rare.  It was a big reason I didn't do much with my Rem 700 after the steel was taken down at Koko Head. 

And it's not like I particularly envision "needing" to shoot stuff at distance.  This was more of a case of wanting to try and confirming I could, both in terms of equipment and personal capability.  More of a personal challenge and curiosity than anything else. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2021, 01:13:35 PM »
Had a vid, 1st of it's kind.  Cop using LVPO to take out bad guy in hostage situation.  You see him adjusting the optic and taking the shot from resting on his door. Estimate distance about 30 yards.

drck1000

« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »
Had a vid, 1st of it's kind.  Cop using LVPO to take out bad guy in hostage situation.  You see him adjusting the optic and taking the shot from resting on his door. Estimate distance about 30 yards.
Gotta do what is needed to make the shot.  My 0.02 (essentially worthless thoughts) is that trained officers should now their holds in that scenario.  At least from training with those who have some level of experience in the subject.  That said, maybe his reticle had some things that help with the holdover.  Similar for the EoTech reticle at in your face distances.   

drck1000

« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »
Shot a handgun class a couple of weeks ago with a group that I've shot with dozens of times now.  They haven't had classes much during the pandemic, so it was good to be back out shooting with them, as well as with a bunch of like-minded folks that I've gotten to know over the years shooting with this group.  All great people.  Always have fun in these classes, along with the learning.

Shot my "backup" Gucci Glock.  I had installed the RMR not that long ago, so first time really shooting it with the RMR.  I had intended on shooting this one as irons, but decided to go with the RMR.  I still have my 17s with iron sights.  My other Gucci Glock with RMR has been my main training/class handgun, but that had to be sent back for some feeding issues.  The issues were resolved after that trip back to the manufacturer, so I was wondering how this one would be.  I bought them at the same time.  They are both based of the 19, but different models.  ***knocking on wood*** was good in the class.  A little over 300 rounds and no malfunctions.  Shot maybe 100 before that through this gun, so seems like it doesn't have the same issues as the other one. 

Had not shot a class in a while, so I was pretty rusty going in.  I haven't been doing much dry fire as well, so was wondering how I would do.  The first drill went well, far better than I expected with the rust.  So I was pretty happy.  Still wasn't as sharp as I was when just before COVID, we were getting on a pretty regular cycle of classes, as well as with other training opportunities and open shoots.  But a good reminder that shooting is a perishable skill. 

Some highlights:
1) Magpul Glock mags seem to be working out great.  They are priced a LOT better than Glock mags and have functioned really well in my 19s.  The one minor downside for classes is that the loaded round indicator only confirms the max, whereas the factory Glock mags show where you are along the way.  Not a big deal either way, but a very minor note/hassle for classes. 

2) No gear changes or wants after this class.  My current setup has been like this for a few years now, though not as much shooting during COVID.  Pretty happy with this setup.   

3) Don't want to get too deep into the class content, but this one was a progression for most in the class.  It covered a lot of things that I had been exposed to along the way, but this class went deeper into those skills as well as context of the whys.  That's what I love about this group.  Skills are well structured, progress and build, with a lot of explanation and discussion on the whys.  That's a big part of shooting, especially for those doing so for a defensive mindset (as opposed to general plinking, competition, etc). 

4) Friendly competition is fun.  Both with the instructors and fellow shooters.  Add in tighter time constraints to push things.  Stress does interesting things. 

Overall, it was a great day of shooting.  I thought is was a "high quality" 300 rounds as it seemed like I shot a lot more. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2021, 03:38:22 PM »
Took a handgun skill builder this weekend. 1st time doing so since at least june 2020.

Noticed the mental fatigue toward the end.

Used my new holster that has a hood. It unlocks differently than just pushing down or down and forward. So thumb had some wear on it toward the end of class.  Since i was the only 1 with this type of retention, my draw was slowest of the group. But my time to 1st shot made up for it.

Noticed 1st shot is good. 2nd and on isnt as accurate as the 1st shot.

Was only guy on my team running irons. Im too poor to run RDS.

Shot about 150rds cause last exercise i sucked and cost me 50rds (5mags). If u do it perfect, 18rds to complete.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2021, 08:49:35 PM »
Took a handgun skill builder this weekend. 1st time doing so since at least june 2020.

Noticed the mental fatigue toward the end.

Used my new holster that has a hood. It unlocks differently than just pushing down or down and forward. So thumb had some wear on it toward the end of class.  Since i was the only 1 with this type of retention, 1) my draw was slowest of the group. But my time to 1st shot made up for it.

2)Noticed 1st shot is good. 2nd and on isnt as accurate as the 1st shot.

Was only guy on my team running irons. Im too poor to run RDS.

Shot about 150rds cause last exercise i sucked and cost me 50rds (5mags). If u do it perfect, 18rds to complete.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
1) Wanna run that by me/us again?  You mean they were only faster than you in clearing the holster?

2) Assume you mean on drills where there are quick(er) second shots.  Why do you think that is?