Should I Get a Shingles Vaccination? (Read 1369 times)

dogman

Should I Get a Shingles Vaccination?
« on: May 19, 2023, 07:47:05 PM »
Since graduating from high school almost ninety years ago, the only vaccine I have gotten was Tetanus every time I got stitched up in emergency rooms. I just got another text from Long's advising me that I will benefit getting the Shingles vaccination. I did have chicken pox as a kid.

macsak

Re: Should I Get a Shingles Vaccination?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 08:16:11 PM »
when the shingles vaccine first came out and was difficult to get, a "friend" who is a pharmacist told me i may be able to skip the wait list
i aksed, "do i need to get it?"
he said, "did you have chicken pox? are you over 50? do you lead a stressful lifestyle?"
i answered, "what do i need to do?"

Since graduating from high school almost ninety years ago, the only vaccine I have gotten was Tetanus every time I got stitched up in emergency rooms. I just got another text from Long's advising me that I will benefit getting the Shingles vaccination. I did have chicken pox as a kid.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 08:47:18 PM »
According to this site, you can get the vaccine at many Long's locations and other pharmacies -- no prescription needed.

https://health.hawaii.gov/docd/disease_listing/shingles-herpes-zoster/

https://histategis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=b0537cb9045345178693df93beefbca8
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Sodie

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 08:51:17 PM »
I know a couple of people who’ve had shingles.  Both said it was insanely painful.  I got my two shots, no side effects whatsoever. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 08:54:47 PM »
I know a couple of people who’ve had shingles.  Both said it was insanely painful.  I got my two shots, no side effects whatsoever.

What was the interval between shots?
-- Melvin Udall

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 10:07:46 PM »
I got one but nobody told me I was supposed to get a second one.
It seems like my PCP put me on a low priority list.
Maybe they just want all us old guys to kick the bucket to make room for younger guys.

or maybe I just got a crappy PCP :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

Sodie

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 11:07:23 PM »
What was the interval between shots?

I don’t recall, but I can check my records… tomorrow.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 12:26:31 AM »
I got one but nobody told me I was supposed to get a second one.
It seems like my PCP put me on a low priority list.
Maybe they just want all us old guys to kick the bucket to make room for younger guys.

or maybe I just got a crappy PCP :rofl:

CDC guidance says 2-6 months apart, but the 2 shots can be given 1-2 months apart when they need to be accelerated -- like if you are or plan to be immunosuppressed as in taking chemo treatments.

If more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose of Shingrix, you should administer the second dose as soon as possible. However, you do not need to restart the vaccine series.

If the second dose is given less than 4 weeks after the first dose, the second dose should be considered invalid. A valid second dose should be administered 2 months after the invalid dose (minimum acceptable interval is 4 weeks following invalid dose).
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/hcp/shingrix/administering-vaccine.html
-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 07:06:12 AM »
My mother got shingles and almost went blind according to my sister, her main care provider.
My sister who is VERY anti-drug/vaccine got the shot.
On her advice, I did too.
Shingrix
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 08:02:55 AM »
So I went to see a doctor yesterday on an unrelated matter and I asked about the SECOND shingles shot.
It's been about 2 years since the first shot. The doctor was not sure.

Then I went to Walmart to pick up a prescription and asked the pharmacist about the second shot.
She is of the opinion that I should just get #2 even though it has been a few years since #1.

go figure...

But getting back to the OP, I think you should get the shingles shot.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 08:54:29 AM »
I took the shingles shot about a year and a half ago upon the recommendation of my primary doctor.  But I was not advised nor instructed to do a follow up shot.

The person giving the shot at Longs didn't mention anything either.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2023, 11:57:58 AM »
According to the CDC guidance I posted, if you had the #1 shot over 6 months ago, just go get the #2 shot.  No need to restart the process with another #1. 

Apparently your body makes a certain amount of antibodies per shot, and you're looking for a cumulative effect.  That's probably why they don't count the #2 shot if you have it too soon after #1.  The additional antibodies won't be created because you're still working on the first injection.  Getting the #2 shot much later will add more antibodies no matter how long you waited.

That's just my non-medical-professional impression anyway.
-- Melvin Udall

dogman

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2023, 04:26:23 PM »

My sister who is VERY anti-drug/vaccine got the shot.

That's me. The last time I can remember anything injected into me was in 1993, Morphine, Demerol and Tetanus vaccine. That's when I found out I'm allergic to Morphine and Demerol. Thanks for the replies guy's, I will be looking into getting vaccinated for shingles. :shaka:

dogman

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 07:53:10 PM »
DONE!!!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 08:25:47 PM »
DONE!!!

Long's?  Kaiser? Some guy in the Home Depot parking lot?
-- Melvin Udall

dogman

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2023, 08:53:00 PM »
Long's?  Kaiser? Some guy in the Home Depot parking lot?
Long's . . . they originally texted me on Friday about the shingles vaccine. Making an appointment was pretty easy and they had one at 7pm. I asked the guy who gave me the shot about the second shot and he told me to check with my PCP.

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2023, 09:00:41 PM »
That shot made me a little bit sick. Not much.
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 08:26:49 AM »
The mRNA shots wrecked a lot of people’s immune systems and I’ve noticed more skin rashes and breakouts in adults lately. We’re still in the early stages of the worlds largest experimental medical disaster and the censorship campaign is still blocking access to useful data so it’s difficult to know what kinds of drug interactions are going on or if traditional vaccines are still effective.for people with VAIDS
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

dogman

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 04:27:42 PM »
That shot made me a little bit sick. Not much.
Me too.