Does Black Lives Matter ... Matter? (Read 15751 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Does Black Lives Matter ... Matter?
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2020, 12:32:40 AM »
Sometimes when I see someone doing a social justice freakout it makes me want to say something racist even though I do not really believe it. Not like a raging Karen n-bombing, just a little off color joke or comment to push back against a bully who cares more about forcing their will on other people than they supposedly care about the issue that got them upset in the first place.

Instead I try to remind myself that arguing with the mentally ill is pointless and cruel. They are suffering enough already and engaging them more than necessary only feeds their psychosis and makes me look like a dick.

Also there is still a real issue out there somewhere that is not being sufficiently addressed.

My mother taught me that using profanity, including racial slurs, is a sign of ignorance.  If you can't think of anything more appropriate to say, then it indicates you have a limited vocabulary.

I was a really quiet kid growing up ...    :D

I never "feel" like using racial slurs, because I was never taught to use them -- in fact, just the opposite. 

I guess being raised in a very densely black community helped.  You either avoid people different from yourself, or you learn to treat them like you want to be treated.  As far as I could tell, skin color was the last thing I had to worry about.  Bad people come in all colors, as do good people who just occasionally do bad things.

I've noticed the movies and music nowadays are full of things I would have never said around my house.  That kind of exposure (bombardment?) of bad language teaches everyone, especially the young, really bad habits.  Most of the time they aren't even aware they are doing it because everyone they hang out with talks the same way.

It's the "mouth like a sailor" syndrome.  Sailors go out to sea for 6 months and come back using some form of "F#ck" every other word.  It takes time and recognizing they are doing it to change the habit.  It's why cussin' cups in offices work.  Gotta get everyone policing our language to show us just how often we use it without even thinking.

I often grin when I hear celebs talk about BLM, then think about the movies or songs they've put out displaying the exact thing they tell us not to do.  But, it's "just show business", right?
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2020, 07:04:08 AM »

It's the "mouth like a sailor" syndrome.  Sailors go out to sea for 6 months and come back using some form of "F#ck" every other word.  It takes time and recognizing they are doing it to change the habit.  It's why cussin' cups in offices work.  Gotta get everyone policing our language to show us just how often we use it without even thinking.

Hey I was in the fu*cking Navy for 22 fu*cking years and I never fu*cking cussed!  >:D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

drck1000

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2020, 08:01:03 AM »
Sometimes when I see someone doing a social justice freakout it makes me want to say something racist even though I do not really believe it. Not like a raging Karen n-bombing, just a little off color joke or comment to push back against a bully who cares more about forcing their will on other people than they supposedly care about the issue that got them upset in the first place.

Instead I try to remind myself that arguing with the mentally ill is pointless and cruel. They are suffering enough already and engaging them more than necessary only feeds their psychosis and makes me look like a dick.

Also there is still a real issue out there somewhere that is not being sufficiently addressed.
Sometimes a response "in-kind" is the most appropriate.  Like your example of an irrational Karen (made me lol actually) I think sometimes it warrants throwing things back in her/him/its face. 

I do think systemic racism is a real issue.  I guess I am more taking an "outside observer" approach on the issue.  I've been told that makes me "part of the problem" that I'm not taking a harder stance to fight against racism.  Well, so be it then. . .

drck1000

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2020, 08:01:47 AM »
Ok this is getting ridiculous....
I would love to meet up with you over a beer or whatever and discuss things. I never intended my reply to be taken the way it was. I was actually joking. For that you have my apology. It frustrates me that there seems to be no middle ground, always a tit for tat atmosphere. My philosophy is opinions are like rectums, everybody has one. From now on I’ll agree to disagree And hopefully you’ll be able to do the same. ;)
After a round (or few) of skeet/trap. . .  ;D

hvybarrels

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2020, 01:45:25 PM »
I've been told that makes me "part of the problem" that I'm not taking a harder stance to fight against racism.  Well, so be it then. . .

That is probably coming from someone who sees themself as "part of the solution" and busily paving the way to hell with their good intentions.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

groveler

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2020, 02:27:35 PM »
That is probably coming from someone who sees themself as "part of the solution" and busily paving the way to hell with their good intentions.
Yeah!
Other than people shooting at each other or hacking each other
with sharp weapons, most our local social problems are cultural
or tribal.
Not racial.
What is the fix?
There isn't one.
What there is is the Constitution.
By whatever means
the Constitution as written
is the rules.
That is all.

mrgaf

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2020, 06:44:00 PM »
After a round (or few) of skeet/trap. . .  ;D

Hmmmm why not! The invite is always out there..... :thumbsup:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

hvybarrels

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »
I’m glad he did that. People need to see what we are dealing with here, and it’s not just some misunderstood protesters who got a little out of hand.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »
Hey I was in the fu*cking Navy for 22 fu*cking years and I never fu*cking cussed!  >:D

Well, fck me running!  I fking apologize if I fking offended your fcking sensitive fking sensibilities!
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well, fck me running!  I fking apologize if I fking offended your fcking sensitive fking sensibilities!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2020, 04:24:01 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Seriously, a friend of mine would return from deployment and was physically incapable of speech that didn't kick up a blue storm cloud around his head!

Even when he was just trying to think of what to say next, he was using "Fck" as a filler -- the way most of us use "Um" and "Uh".

Someone started a Cussin' Cup in his duty section.  Every payday, he had to run to the ATM to pay off his stack of IOUs.   :rofl:
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2020, 05:18:17 PM »
Seriously, a friend of mine would return from deployment and was physically incapable of speech that didn't kick up a blue storm cloud around his head!

Even when he was just trying to think of what to say next, he was using "Fck" as a filler -- the way most of us use "Um" and "Uh".

Someone started a Cussin' Cup in his duty section.  Every payday, he had to run to the ATM to pay off his stack of IOUs.   :rofl:

Believe me,I can relate... I was in the “old navy” and cussing was a requirement to make chief  :D I retired as a senior chief so you can imagine how much cussing I was doing!  ::)

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2020, 08:42:16 PM »
"Should be removed" ... because some mob decides?  Or because you think so?

In my opinion. Pretty obvious because it is inherently a matter of opinion.

The people who live in those communities should decide based on discussion and votes, not because people who don't live there think it's their job to force others to live by their beliefs.

I thought you were FOR Democracy?

Strawman.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:08:00 PM by eyeeatingfish »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2020, 09:04:27 PM »
In my opinion. Pretty obvious because it is inherently a matter of opinion.

The people who live in those communities should decide based on discussion and votes, not because people who don't live there think it's their job to force others to live by their beliefs.

I thought you were FOR Democracy?

Strawman.

Typical.   :wacko:
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2020, 08:08:33 PM »
Typical.   :wacko:

Yes, typical ripping apart of your rebuttals

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2020, 08:19:40 PM »
Yes, typical ripping apart of your rebuttals

"Strawman" is "ripping apart of your rebuttals?" 

:rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2020, 04:58:10 PM »
sheep

ren

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2020, 06:20:43 PM »
shot in the head for saying All Lives Matter
https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/jessica-doty-whitaker-dead/

You won't hear this on MSM
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2020, 09:49:20 PM »
shot in the head for saying All Lives Matter

You won't hear this on MSM

The narratives must be protected from the TRUTH!

As Biden famously said recently: "We choose truth over facts!"   :crazy:

-- Melvin Udall