Hunting & Fishing Day 2017 (Read 11285 times)

zippz

Hunting & Fishing Day 2017
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:54:29 PM »
Coming up right around the corner.  Buy scripts to shoot guns and try different activities, and learn about hunting and fishing in Hawaii.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

Re: Hunting & Fishing Day 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:28:18 AM »
This is another really fun day to volunteer and help.  It's not a crazy as the SSF, but still a great opportunity to share your love for shooting sports with those with no prior experience, all the way to those who have shot most of their lives.  It's a pretty laid back event.  I hope to be able to volunteer if my schedule isn't too crazy after getting back from vacation. 

zippz

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
I brought a group of first time shooters out to the fair today and everyone had a blast.  As for me, it was the first time I tried archery in 25 years and I enjoyed it.  Have to get a bow now.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Bushido

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:13:13 PM »
I brought a group of first time shooters out to the fair today and everyone had a blast.  As for me, it was the first time I tried archery in 25 years and I enjoyed it.  Have to get a bow now.

Very cool. Wish I could be there

rklapp

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 11:36:59 PM »
Wish I coulda been there. Wife still recovering from gall bladder surgery.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:30:51 AM »
I hope your wife has a complete and speedy recovery.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:38:41 AM »
Is she at queens hospital?
What, Me Worry?

London808

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 12:19:55 PM »
Took my wife, daughter and Mother in law today,  my wallet is officially empty
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

London808

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 06:23:17 PM »

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

rklapp

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 06:10:45 AM »
Is she at queens hospital?
Kaiser. It was a couple weeks ago. Follow up today.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:01:06 AM by rklapp »

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:23 AM »
SNIP

That's awesome!  I usually volunteer at this and SSF, but I had family stuff to take care of this past weekend.  Good to see people getting out an enjoying. 

DLNR doesn't seem to do much, if anything, to get the word out for this.  In many cases, many people who look for events like this didn't even hear about it and just happened to be at the range that day. 

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »
Kaiser. It was a couple weeks ago. Follow up today.
========
ugh
had that 20 years ago
most unpleasant
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 10:50:54 AM »
========
ugh
had that 20 years ago
most unpleasant
Waiting for the doctor. I mentioned to my wife that so far, no one has told us we owe anything for the surgery. The wonders of HMO.

Drakiir84

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
Took my wife, daughter and Mother in law today,  my wallet is officially empty

Hope you guys had a good time, it's always fun getting the little ones shooting and we get a lot more time with each shooter at this event than we do at the SSF since it's more laid back.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Drakiir84

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »
That's awesome!  I usually volunteer at this and SSF, but I had family stuff to take care of this past weekend.  Good to see people getting out an enjoying. 

DLNR doesn't seem to do much, if anything, to get the word out for this.  In many cases, many people who look for events like this didn't even hear about it and just happened to be at the range that day.

They spent $13,000 this year on advertising, like 5 or 6k more than the HRA spends on the SSF. 
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
They spent $13,000 this year on advertising, like 5 or 6k more than the HRA spends on the SSF.
Really?  Wow!  That's awesome.  Hope that investment paid off with more people attending. 

I think it was maybe 2 or 3 years ago where not much was advertised.  And that was from gripes from people at DLNR.  Glad to see that has changed.  Or at least more awareness (including me) of the efforts.   :thumbsup:

Drakiir84

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »
Really?  Wow!  That's awesome.  Hope that investment paid off with more people attending. 

I think it was maybe 2 or 3 years ago where not much was advertised.  And that was from gripes from people at DLNR.  Glad to see that has changed.  Or at least more awareness (including me) of the efforts.   :thumbsup:

I think it was definitely more busy than last year but it could do better with more of a presence on social media.
-Jeff Cooper

zippz

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 10:49:10 PM »
I thought it was $1,300 for advertising.  It was the first time I saw an advertisement in the newspaper.  Getting better but yea they still need to improve advertising.  We can also do better advertising it ourselves.  I posted the flyer at work and at a couple universities, facebook, meetup,  told friends, and brought a couple groups out.

It was a lot busier this weekend, estimating around 400 or more attended.  2015 was about 100 and last year about 200.

More volunteers are welcome too.  Instructors, coaches, RSO's setup/breakdown, safety briefing, cashier, displays, support personnel, etc.

Had the following clubs helping out there...
Hawaii Rifle Association
Hawaii Hunters Education
Hawaii Historic Arms Assoc
Lessons in Firearms Education
Single Action Shooters of HI
Leilehua HS Archery Club
Honolulu Trap Club
Safari Club Intl HI
Friends of the NRA & the high school air rifle teams
Food bank

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:22:46 PM by zippz »

GlockNewb

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 06:59:07 PM »
Bump - any insider info on if this is happening 2018? Haven’t seen any advertisements, even DLNR website has no pending info. Would really like to help spread the word since most of my co-workers can’t do SSF/Father’s day weekend.
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 07:04:39 PM »
It’s on Sept 16. Haven’t seen a flyer yet. It may have been posted on FB. It’s on the HRA list for range reservations though.