1911 45acp magazines (Read 2976 times)

Itsshowtime808

1911 45acp magazines
« on: April 22, 2019, 10:29:26 AM »
Aloha everybody,

I was just curious if anybody knew if any and all single stack 45 acp magazines for the 1911 would work with most or all 1911s, especially the more modern day versions, I been looking online to buy extra magazines and realized that there are tons of manufacturers for them.

I looked at 1911 history threads and only saw one with the 9mm magazines.  I didn’t want to start a duplicate thread 😜

I was thinking of mass purchasing mec-gar since I know they make great magazines for my CZs.  Saw some high end ones like Wilson combat, but I’m also thinking... it’s only magazines...

Any insight would be appreciated

Much Mahalos
 :geekdanc:
Gun Control
(noun)
1.Using both hands
2.Hitting your target every time
3.Buying one when you really want two, three, four, or five

Flapp_Jackson

Re: 1911 45acp magazines
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 11:52:17 AM »
Aloha everybody,

I was just curious if anybody knew if any and all single stack 45 acp magazines for the 1911 would work with most or all 1911s, especially the more modern day versions, I been looking online to buy extra magazines and realized that there are tons of manufacturers for them.

I looked at 1911 history threads and only saw one with the 9mm magazines.  I didn’t want to start a duplicate thread 😜

I was thinking of mass purchasing mec-gar since I know they make great magazines for my CZs.  Saw some high end ones like Wilson combat, but I’m also thinking... it’s only magazines...

Any insight would be appreciated

Much Mahalos

Depends on the pistol. Some like certain brands better than others. Also depends on the floor plate your included mags came with. Some fit better at the bottom of the mag well than others.

I did some research into the Sig Nightmare when I bought it to find personal experiences with after market mags. I wound up getting:

Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazine ETM with Base Pad 8-rd

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/720215/wilson-combat-elite-tactical-magazine-etm-with-base-pad-1911-government-commander-45-acp-8-round

Wilson Combat ETM had very high opinions over many others.

My 1911 is a little different with the curved backstrap (Fastback design). And I like the black mag extension that gives me an extra rd over the standard 7.

If you're looking at the lower end cost-wise, I'd recommend only getting one or two, then try them out in your gun to see if they perform at least as well as the mags included with the gun. Then it ought to be safe to buy more.

If a 1911 says it follows mil spec for their mags, then any other mil spec mag will fit and function. That doesn't mean they are equal in fit, finish, materials, or design. I like to go with what's proven good by others. It's a good place to start with minimal risk.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:25 PM »
Metalform mags are great too. :thumbsup:
Ed Masaki recommended them and I have had no probs with them. Mags are critical to your weapon.
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:21:18 PM »
Metalform mags are great too. :thumbsup:
Ed Masaki recommended them and I have had no probs with them. Mags are critical to your weapon.
========
 Ed and I used to sell metalforms at the gun shows.
 I still use them today. But I only use the 7 round/ steel round follower as they seem to be the most reliable.
 Today I see an 8 round/ round follower that looks interesting on ebay.

What, Me Worry?

dv808

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 12:33:41 PM »
Look up Tripp Research.  Work great in everything so far but quite pricey.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Heavies

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »
When I had my 1911, the Wilson Combat mags never gave me any hiccups, even with hollow points.  I had a bunch of these cheap mags that jammed all the time even with ball ammo, I forget what brand they were, but I bought a bunch of them for super cheap.  they were useless to me, except for malfunction practice...  they sucked azz.  Of course YMMV. But I recommend Wilsons.

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
I recommend Wilson mags as well.

I have a bunch of McCormick (sp?) that have been trouble free too, but Wilson has earned my trust.  As mentioned above, mags are key to gun functioning, esp with 1911s.

dv808

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
I believe Wilson acquired Chip McCormick early last year so I wouldn't be surprised if the differences between the two begin to diminish.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Itsshowtime808

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 11:41:53 PM »
Ahh,

Lots to take in!

Will definitely try the wilsons, metalform, and tripp research

Thanks everybody for all the input,

I will follow up after I test out everything hehe

I’m picking up a Ruger sr1911 so this will be the gun to test with...

Much Mahalos
Gun Control
(noun)
1.Using both hands

19pontiac79

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
+1 on the Tripp cobra mags :shaka:

Wade
"if can. Can. If no can. No can" - Uncles 😆
"Why? The ring no block the hole." - Uncle's 😘
"You can throw a rock any distance and you will hit a double standard. = LIFE" 🤷🏽‍♂️

Itsshowtime808

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 05:53:16 AM »
+1 on the Tripp cobra mags :shaka:

Wade

How about the 10 rounders?  My as well go all-in ah?
Haha :geekdanc:
Gun Control
(noun)
1.Using both hands