cutting up car (Read 2013 times)

hvybarrels

cutting up car
« on: April 18, 2021, 05:55:10 PM »
I have an old parts car with the engine and trans removed and have to get rid of it. Was thinking about cutting it into pieces and taking it to the dump but not sure of the legality. The "free" car disposal places do not want to deal with it or want to charge money because no engine or trans. Just looking for the cheapest easiest option at this point and am open for suggestions. I have the title but it is not in my name.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

Re: cutting up car
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 06:17:04 PM »
I have an old parts car with the engine and trans removed and have to get rid of it. Was thinking about cutting it into pieces and taking it to the dump but not sure of the legality. The "free" car disposal places do not want to deal with it or want to charge money because no engine or trans. Just looking for the cheapest easiest option at this point and am open for suggestions. I have the title but it is not in my name.

You need to get the title put in your name.  Don't know the circumstances, but it's really not that difficult.  If you can contact the titled owner, they can sign it over to you.  If there is a lien, contact the lien holder.  If they've written off their interest in the vehicle as a loss, they should be okay sending you a letter stating that so the lien can be omitted on the new title.  I did that with a friend's car he left when he went back to Japan.  GMAC originally loaned him money on the car, but 10 years later, after being in Japan and making no payments, they no longer had it on their books and sent the letter.  I was able to have the new title -- lien-free -- issued so we could donate it to Hawaii's Kidney Cars.

You might have to pay back-taxes if the vehicle tags expired awhile ago.  Once all the title and tax issues are cleared up, you can more easily get rid of it.  One thing to do, also, is title it as "garaged" so they don't register it as being driven.  Only a few bucks the first year, and no renewals.  You do have to surrender the tags if you still have them.

Seems like a lot to do just to junk it, but as long as the car is in the previous owner's name, it's like giving someone a stolen car in the eyes of the state.

Once you have clear title, you can request the C&C of Honolulu junk it for you.  I don't see any fees on the form, but there may be.  Just need at least 2 inflatable tires for the tow truck to haul it off.

https://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/csd/onlineforms/cslmvr202.pdf
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 06:21:26 PM »
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:35:13 PM »
Wow did not know about that. Sucks about having to pay the back taxes though. It would be cheaper to leave it on the road and risk getting charged the $160 fine.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 06:45:14 PM »
Wow did not know about that. Sucks about having to pay the back taxes though. It would be cheaper to leave it on the road and risk getting charged the $160 fine.

Depends on the number of years.  I had a motorcycle that was not on the road for about 5 years, and I let the tags expire.  Only cost about $80 to settle up.  They didn't charge the full registration fee per year -- just the taxes.  I think the only fee for making it a "Garaged title" was a new title fee -- $10?

-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 06:51:10 PM »

If I were you, I'd call the people running the junker program.  They probably know the best and cheapest way to handle your situation.  If the title is in someone else's name, maybe they won't hold you responsible for paying the past due taxes?  Just have the owner sign to transfer to the city and call it a day? 

Worth a shot.
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 07:33:17 PM »
On the BI, they just drive/drag them to some road and leave them there on the side.

Then the scavengers descend on the new "pick and pull" source like crows.   

Soon enough, nothing but a shell left, rotting for all the tourists to gawk at.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 08:01:54 PM »
On the BI, they just drive/drag them to some road and leave them there on the side.

So, he can just tow it onto the Super Ferry, ride the Ferry to the BI, and then tow it to the side of some road?

Oh, wait ......  NM.   :rofl:
-- Melvin Udall

s15project

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 09:40:14 PM »
Check with Ace Metal Recycling on Auiki street or Schnitzer Steel in Kapolei.  I've taken cut up shells and flatbeds to both before.  It's been about 2 years since I've scrapped anything though and I've heard with scrap prices down that some materials they will charge to drop off now.  Both were a bit strict about gas, oil, and other fluids being drained, and gas tanks punctured before you get there to confirm they're empty.  So if you can cut it up and get to either spot good to confirm their requirements and if they're accepting that type of material before you go.

hvybarrels

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 11:13:34 PM »

Ah nature. Looks like I have some good leads to follow up tomorrow. Thanks!

RSN172

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 04:24:38 AM »

In my subdivision in Puna where 3/4 of the lots are vacant, dey jus hemo da plates and leave um in somebody else's lot.

groveler

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »
In my subdivision in Puna where 3/4 of the lots are vacant, dey jus hemo da plates and leave um in somebody else's lot.
Use a Backhoe.
Dig a hole and bury it.
Toss in a few extra items as you see fit.
That obnoxious Liberal neighbor perhaps?
 :wacko:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »
Use a Backhoe.
Dig a hole and bury it.
Toss in a few extra items as you see fit.
That obnoxious Liberal neighbor perhaps?
:wacko:

Only if you don't mind the soil being too toxic to grow anything the next few decades!   :geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »
Only if you don't mind the soil being too toxic to grow anything the next few decades!   :geekdanc:

The gas tank you can remove with a few bolts. Smugness and Marxism does not come out as easy.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 03:57:29 PM »
The gas tank you can remove with a few bolts. Smugness and Marxism does not come out as easy.

:thumbsup:
-- Melvin Udall

omnigun

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 04:07:18 PM »
Nice environmentalism we have here.

macsak

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 04:08:07 PM »
Nice environmentalism we have here.