Bill To Be Proposed Restricting LEO From Carrying Guns While Drinking (HI) (Read 8852 times)

Q

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:25:47 AM by Q »

robtmc

What diffeerence would this law really make anyway?

How many officers shot someone while drunk

Maybe y'all trust them armed off duty, however:

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-sheriff-shooting-20130827,0,303511.story

Gee, drunk cops off duty shooting the place up, what can possibly go wrong?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:03:24 PM by robtmc »

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

Maybe y'all trust them armed off duty, however:

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-sheriff-shooting-20130827,0,303511.story

Gee, drunk cops off duty shooting it out, what can possibly go wrong?

"the men brandished their guns in a 'threatening manner.'

They did not fire at each other, ... , but into the air."

"Alcohol is suspected," Whitmore said. "This is gross negligence."

It's a long road between the facts as reported and yours saying "drunk cops shooting it out". 

Using facts not in evidence to create a narrative meant to evoke an emotional and inaccurate response ....

that's a very LIBERAL style of writing you have there, Rob!
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

robtmc

Edited for your sensibilities.  The fact remains that these cops were armed and drinking.  We will never know what sort of punishment is meted out, if any.  How do you think you would be treated, once you posted bail?

I am not comfortable with off duty cops drinking and being armed.  Their life is not more valuable than mine.   This behavior clearly shows they are not to be trusted with firearms when drinking.

Darmok and Jalad @Tanagra

Edited for your sensibilities.  The fact remains that these cops were armed and drinking.  We will never know what sort of punishment is meted out, if any.  How do you think you would be treated, once you posted bail?

I am not comfortable with off duty cops drinking and being armed.  Their life is not more valuable than mine.   This behavior clearly shows they are not to be trusted with firearms when drinking.

You realize you are doing exactly the same thing Obama did after Sandy Hook with his attempt to tighten gun laws.

He and the Lib Dems want to punish all gun owners for the bad acts of a few mentally ill criminals by banning assault weapons semi-automatic, small caliber sporting rifles purchased by millions of law-abiding owners.

You are saying all LEOs are going to do what these clowns did unless you totally prohibit any alcohol consumption for them.  Adding "while armed" is a non-issue, because many agencies require their officers be armed whether on or off duty.
"... the right to be let alone -- the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
--Justice Louis D. Brandeis

Q

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 12:04:59 AM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:23:34 AM by Q »

one2boost

Re: Bill To Be Proposed Restricting LEO From Carrying Guns While Drinking (HI)
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 06:09:07 AM »
IMO regardless if this law passes, LEOs will always protect LEOs, most of the time.  I highly doubt one LEO will follow protocol to administer such breathalyzer test or blood test and basically just forget to do so.  Much like the HPD officer who was supposedly drunk and crashed his vehicle into another vehicle killing the driver many years ago.  I find it amazing how the local tv news was the one that pointed out that fact.  So I am sure if this law passes and another incident involving a LEO, a firearm and having a few drinks come into play, somehow the blood alcohol tests will be miraculously not be done.

robtmc

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 07:57:01 AM »
Why specify 'cops'? Are you comfortable with anyone else being drunk and armed? What about if some of the 2a guys were drinking and had their firearms? Would you be just as hesitant or uncomfortable around them?
Straw man, no 2A member is allowed to be armed, which is my point about cop's lives being no more valuable than mine. 

As to what someone said earlier, you seem to be grouping all cops into the same category of shitbags with badges. Not sure what your experience is with LEOs, but its ignorant to assume all cops act like this when drinking.
Your cop worship has been noted several times.  I remember a co-worker's HPD buddies offering to beat the crap out of his boss because he had just been laid off. 

And another thing you should also note is that cops are never truly off the clock. Just because they work a shift and have a day off doesn't mean they aren't on alert 24/7.

So cops should be able to get a good buzz on while armed, just because of some nebulous "never truly off the clock" BS.  By your reasoning, it is just peachy keen for them to drive drunk as well if suddenly required, because, after all, they are never truly off the clock and may have to respond!

Q

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:23:43 AM by Q »

kong

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
Technically, a search warrant would be necessary for obtaining BAC levels.  If you are driving there is fine print that says you submit to a breathalyzer or face penalties (suspension of driver's license, etc.).  And usually agency policy dictates alcohol consumption, so why not just make it a law.  I remember I was ingrained with the rule if you drink at all, no touching firearms, and if I were to have a drink and was LEO drinking with fellow LEO's I would have one or more buddies as guardian angels.