Who's Shooting This Week? (Read 137450 times)

drck1000

Re: Who's Shooting This Weekend?
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »
I had my short list of two cartridges to reload today. I wanted to reload the obsolete 7.62x39R and I wanted to reload the obsolete 7.55x53.5 Swiss for the first time. I started the first cartridge (7.62x39R) and the wife interrupted me for an hour or so. And just as I was finishing up the first cartridge (only 50 rounds) A very old friend from High School called. We have not talked for about 5 years. Right after I hung up another friend called. By the time I was done talking I no longer had time to start working on the Swiss cartridge.

I have all the components. I have done all the research. Having the time to get to it is the hard part. I'll try and get to it next weekend. On a positive note I think my reduced loads for the K31 7.5x55 Swiss may actually work. I have some research on that to do to verify this. I need to do some rifle and brass cleaning on top of all of this.
You should start a thread on "I have this old gun".  Like the segment that they have near the end of each episode of American Rifleman TV.   ;D

Well, time invested in talking to an old friend is definitely time well spent. 

stangzilla

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
Jinxed myself. . .

I tweaked my ankle just before the shooting class started.  It didn't bother me while were shooting, but last night, I guess I tweaked it again and could barely walk around the house until I iced it.  Damn, getting old sucks. . .

How's your ankle now?  Hope you got a lot of reloading done!

my ankle isn't much better.
I had some plantar fasciitis a few months ago that lasted for 4 months.  this sprained ankle feels worse, and probably re-aggravated my plantar fasciitis.  doesn't help that I'm on my feet 10 hours per day at work either.
but I did reload 100 rounds of 44 magnum   :geekdanc:

shdws

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2018, 02:31:21 PM »
I always attend "church" on Easter.

Time to pay my penance. 

drck1000

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Anyone going this weekend? 

I'm thinking of hitting up the rifle range to zero an Aimpoint that I just got back from service.  The dot was on even when dialed to zero.  Aimpoint said it was sent back to the US office from Sweden after being fixed, but apparently it got lost in their transit.  So my contact at Aimpoint US sent me a new one.   :thumbsup:

stangzilla

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
Anyone going this weekend? 

I'm thinking of hitting up the rifle range to zero an Aimpoint that I just got back from service.  The dot was on even when dialed to zero.  Aimpoint said it was sent back to the US office from Sweden after being fixed, but apparently it got lost in their transit.  So my contact at Aimpoint US sent me a new one.   :thumbsup:

that's good customer service.

I might go rifle side to sight in the scope on my revolver.   :geekdanc:

drck1000

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »
that's good customer service.

I might go rifle side to sight in the scope on my revolver.   :geekdanc:
Yeah, I was impressed.  I emailed to check on status and the email apparently made it to the guy in Sweden who handled it on that end and then got back to me via an Aimpoint US rep.  When it took a while, I figured something was up.  Then next things I know, I get an email that a new "warranty replacement" unit was already shipped out.  It even included the standard mount, which mine didn't have. 

Cool.  I'll keep and eye out for you if I go. 

BTW, how's the ankle? 

stangzilla

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
Yeah, I was impressed.  I emailed to check on status and the email apparently made it to the guy in Sweden who handled it on that end and then got back to me via an Aimpoint US rep.  When it took a while, I figured something was up.  Then next things I know, I get an email that a new "warranty replacement" unit was already shipped out.  It even included the standard mount, which mine didn't have. 

Cool.  I'll keep and eye out for you if I go. 

BTW, how's the ankle?

ankle is getting better.  almost back to 100%

now is my neck and shoulder that's hurt.  too much yard work.  I decided no more yard work for me.  shooting range is more therapeutic.

Inspector

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2018, 02:37:31 PM »
Gotta work this weekend.  :(
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »
Gotta work this weekend.  :(
At least you have a well paying job with cool boss (the guy who came out to the revolver shoot).   ;D

Inspector

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
At least you have a well paying job with cool boss (the guy who came out to the revolver shoot).   ;D
I have to admit my boss is pretty cool.  :thumbsup:

Surf

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 09:33:16 PM »
I am actually home this weekend, was invited to Puuloa on Sunday, but my schedule is a no go for that.  Wife says I need to get in some family time since I will be mostly gone for the next month or so.  But I do have to catch up on some gun related projects.

drck1000

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
I am actually home this weekend, was invited to Puuloa on Sunday, but my schedule is a no go for that.  Wife says I need to get in some family time since I will be mostly gone for the next month or so.  But I do have to catch up on some gun related projects.
Happy Wife, Happy Life!

This month has been crazy for me too and next month somewhat as well. So taking some time this weekend to get some range time in.

drck1000

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
Aimpoint zeroed quickly, so dedicated some time to working on shooting with irons. Wish I could have done some shooting in one of the action bays with irons, but will have to wait for the next fun shoot or HDF shoot.

Rifle side wasn’t crowded at all. Got there around 9:30 and had plenty open benches. Nice and cool day. Nice weather for shooting.

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »
Headed back to the range this weekend. Thinking tomorrow morning.

Have a new carbine to zero the red dot. This build is the setup I’ve wanted for a while. Sort of the lessons learned over the years from my different ARs and put together in one gun. Thanks to the help of a friend (also 2a member), will have this gun in a training class next weekend. Also going to rezero the dot that I shot last weekend. Took off the dot to change the muzzle device. The mount is supposed to have excellent reviews for RTZ, but never really tested this one since it has pretty much been in the same fun since I got it.

Anyone else headed out on this cloudy weekend?

Inspector

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »

Have a new carbine to zero the red dot. This build is the setup I’ve wanted for a while. Sort of the lessons learned over the years from my different ARs and put together in one gun. Thanks to the help of a friend (also 2a member), will have this gun in a training class next weekend. Also going to rezero the dot that I shot last weekend. Took off the dot to change the muzzle device. The mount is supposed to have excellent reviews for RTZ, but never really tested this one since it has pretty much been in the same fun since I got it.

Will be there tomorrow morning on the rifle side at bench 94. Stop on by if you have a few minutes. I am going to have my magnetosphere Chrono out if you want to test a load or two.

drck1000

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2018, 11:24:14 AM »
Will be there tomorrow morning on the rifle side at bench 94. Stop on by if you have a few minutes. I am going to have my magnetosphere Chrono out if you want to test a load or two.
Cool. I’m trying to go in the morning. But have to see what my dad’s schedule is later today. I’ll PM you later.

Surf

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »
Did some shooting on Friday with a couple of new shooters getting their first formal training/education with pistols.  They were looking for a new hobby, did extremely well, and have found their niche.

Today was steel target and stand prep for a shooting event next weekend.  A lot of brand new steel and stands.  Gonna be a fun weekend next week!  ;)

Surf

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »

I think that rifle is going to be your Excaliber!

drck1000

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2018, 12:48:19 PM »
Fun day in the range. Zeroed optics on two carbines. The RTZ for the Larue mount was close at 50 yards. I think I had to move 1 click right. Not sure as I think moved the the dot the wrong way at first.

Zeroed the EoTech on the new Colt build pretty quick. I had moved the front sight back one position, so confirmed zero on the irons. After I got home, I decided to push the front sight back two positions because of the position of the light. So will likely have to confirm zero on that later, but should be good for my class coming up next weekend. Should be a quick confirm, assuming things don’t get jostled much on the flight.

Shot with the black powder guys and got to enjoy a variety of guns. An Egyptian 7.62x39, a 45-120 double barrel rifle and a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor (I believe). All sweet guns. Has me wanting to expand my collection.

The black powder guys are awesome to shoot with, as always. Even got them to shoot my ARs. That was awesome for me too as I wanted to experience the effect of two comps from an observer position. The AFAB was more mellow than I thought. It was actually slightly louder from a 45 degrees angle to the rear than it was directly to the side of the muzzle. The SLR comp was louder than I thought. Overall not bad though. Got to shoot the Colt/AFAB standing and shooting the steel at 100 yards, the dot didn’t move much off of the plate. Didn’t try the LMT/SLR comp standing.

drck1000

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »
I think that rifle is going to be your Excaliber!
Definitely looking forward to shooting the Colt a lot more. My first 14.5” barreled AR and interesting how they are side-by-side with my 16” barreled ARs.