HIFICO 2019 Legislature Firearms Bills (Read 69437 times)

6716J

Re: HIFICO 2019 Legislature Firearms Bills
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »
The appeal of a fundamental right should be a good point for their opponents.

You seem to think the population of Hawaii beyond our little merry band actually cares about the 2nd Amendment rights. The only time they seem to want to scream about rights is when their posts about whatever on Facespace get flagged
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

zippz

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2019, 11:34:33 AM »
House bills referred to their Senate committees.  HB1541 "gun violence prevention center" is referred to Higher Education (HRE) due to UH doing the research, and Ways and Means (WAM) the Senate equivalent of Finance.  Address those focuses in your committee testimony.

Another bill to look into is HB295 HD2 which adds "emotional abuse" to domestic abuse protective orders.  This could remove gun rights for humiliation, intimidation, controlling behavior, and regulating a person's behavior.   Still analyzing it, but there is serious potential for abusing this law.
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=295&year=2019
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

6716J

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 08:21:46 AM »
response from my Mililani Senator...

Aloha, Constituents:

Thank you for your input in opposition of these bills.  Please continue to track these bills and submit testimony as they crossover to the House so they’re properly collected.  https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=1466&year=2019.

SB 600 would not discriminate against visiting or relocating young adults as it would mirror the same, current minimum age requirement of 21 years of age for Hawaii residents for newcomers.

As for SB 621, I have asked Senator Rhoads, Chair of the Judiciary Committee, will ask the committee to amend the reporting period to 30 days. The other committee members thought it was too long, so I asked for 7 days, but they didn’t commit.

SB 1466 would require a court order and hearing within 14 days of receiving a petition, and allegations would have to be supported with specific facts made under oath before action to remove is taken.

Mahalo.

Office of Michelle N. Kidani
Senate Vice President & District 18
Hawaii State Capitol
415 S. Beretania Street, Room 228
Honolulu, HI  96813
Ofc: 808.586.7100
Fax: 808.586.7109

zippz

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »
SB 600,621, 1466 has been referred to their house committees PSM, JUD

Anti 2a Senate Resolutions SR29/SCR42 referred to PSM, JDC.

March 22 (Bills) and March 28 (Conc Reso) is the next Lateral Deadline with one or less committee hearings left after that date.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2019, 08:56:03 PM »
SB 600 would not discriminate against visiting or relocating young adults as it would mirror the same, current minimum age requirement of 21 years of age for Hawaii residents for newcomers.

I would counter with...
Is the existing law requiring you to be 21 constitutional?  Why?
The age to possess a rifle and shotgun is 16 in Hawaii
18 is the age of adulthood
You cannot put an arbitrary age limitation on a constitutional right.
Does Hawaii have a problem with adults under 21 committing crimes with rifles and shotguns?  Bolt action and singleshot shotguns covered by this ban?
Can you restrict a constitutional right just because you feel something could happen?

zippz

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Hearings scheduled for hb1541, hb1325

Also HB295 is up regarding domestic abuse and protective orders, it's a single committee bill.  It lowers the requirements to things like humiliation and controlling behavior and can remove gun rights from the accused.

punaperson

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:39 AM »
Also HB295 is up regarding domestic abuse and protective orders, it's a single committee bill.  It lowers the requirements to things like humiliation and controlling behavior and can remove gun rights from the accused.
I'd urge everyone to read HB295, HD1 and submit your opposition testimony this morning.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2019/bills/HB295_HD1_.HTM

From my testimony:

Here we have another case of “good intentions” having the “unintended consequences” of putting us on the infamous road to hell.

By expanding the definition of “domestic abuse” to include non-violent “emotional abuse” you will have opened up a Pandora's box of unlimited possibilities for legal action by anyone who, without any act of physical contact, let alone violent contact, renders the self-determined judgment that they have been “humiliated” or “intimidated” and thus “frightened”. Just so you know that I'm not making that up, nor exaggerating, that's the actual definition in the bill of "coercive behavior".
Now a “glance” that someone interprets as “intimidation” is cause for arrest? (Person A:You shouldn't intimidate me with that kind of “look”! Person B: I wasn't trying to intimidate you. A: Yes you were! B: No I wasn't.)
I'd suggest people look at the testimony of an attorney, Thomas D. Farrell, who handles such matters, including divorce and child custody litigation, as submitted to a previous committee hearing on the bill (starts on page 6).

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/Session2019/Testimony/HB295_TESTIMONY_CPC-JUD_02-21-19_.PDF

6716J

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2019, 08:14:52 AM »
I'd urge everyone to read HB295, HD1 and submit your opposition testimony this morning.

From my testimony:

Here we have another case of “good intentions” having the “unintended consequences” of putting us on the infamous road to hell.

By expanding the definition of “domestic abuse” to include non-violent “emotional abuse” you will have opened up a Pandora's box of unlimited possibilities for legal action by anyone who, without any act of physical contact, let alone violent contact, renders the self-determined judgment that they have been “humiliated” or “intimidated” and thus “frightened”. Just so you know that I'm not making that up, nor exaggerating, that's the actual definition in the bill of "coercive behavior".
Now a “glance” that someone interprets as “intimidation” is cause for arrest? (Person A:You shouldn't intimidate me with that kind of “look”! Person B: I wasn't trying to intimidate you. A: Yes you were! B: No I wasn't.)
I'd suggest people look at the testimony of an attorney, Thomas D. Farrell, who handles such matters, including divorce and child custody litigation, as submitted to a previous committee hearing on the bill (starts on page 6).

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/Session2019/Testimony/HB295_TESTIMONY_CPC-JUD_02-21-19_.PDF

WOW... his testimony is right on target

macsak

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »

From my testimony:

testify here
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=295&year=2019

punaperson

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »
Hearing Friday, March 15... testimonies due Thursday, March 14, 10 AM.

COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY, VETERANS, & MILITARY AFFAIRS

NOTICE OF HEARING

DATE: Friday, March 15, 2019

TIME: 10:00 AM

PLACE: Conference Room 430

A G E N D A

SB 600

(SSCR817)

RELATING TO FIREARMS.

Provides that no person less than 21 years of age shall bring any firearm into the State.

SB 621, SD1

(SSCR1020)

Status

RELATING TO FIREARMS.

Requires a person to report the person's lost, stolen, or destroyed firearms to the appropriate county police department.  Establishes penalties for failure to report.  (SD1)

SB 1466, SD2

(SSCR802)

RELATING TO GUN VIOLENCE PROTECTIVE ORDERS.

Establishes a process by which a law enforcement officer or family or household member may obtain a court order to prevent a person from accessing firearms and ammunition when the person poses a danger of causing bodily injury to oneself or another.  Takes effect 2/1/2020.  (SD2)

macsak

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2019, 09:49:58 AM »
Hearing Friday, March 15... testimonies due Thursday, March 14, 10 AM.

COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY, VETERANS, & MILITARY AFFAIRS

NOTICE OF HEARING

DATE: Friday, March 15, 2019

TIME: 10:00 AM

PLACE: Conference Room 430

A G E N D A

SB 600

(SSCR817)

RELATING TO FIREARMS.

Provides that no person less than 21 years of age shall bring any firearm into the State.

SB 621, SD1

(SSCR1020)

Status

RELATING TO FIREARMS.

Requires a person to report the person's lost, stolen, or destroyed firearms to the appropriate county police department.  Establishes penalties for failure to report.  (SD1)

SB 1466, SD2

(SSCR802)

RELATING TO GUN VIOLENCE PROTECTIVE ORDERS.

Establishes a process by which a law enforcement officer or family or household member may obtain a court order to prevent a person from accessing firearms and ammunition when the person poses a danger of causing bodily injury to oneself or another.  Takes effect 2/1/2020.  (SD2)

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=600&year=2019

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=621&year=2019

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=SB&billnumber=1466&year=2019

zippz

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2019, 08:21:14 PM »
HB720 and HB950 up for hearings in the Senate on March 19

zippz

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »
Had 4 Hifico members attend the PVM hearing on Friday.  Also had about 6 mom's Mom's Demand Action, Maj Nielsen from HPD, and a  person from a mental health org.

The 3 bills passed with reservations and no votes from Kong and McDermott.

Some good questions were asked to HPD from the committee members.

Sb600 under 21yrs -
1.   what happens if a person under 21 tried to register?  Firearm confiscated?  The firearm is taken into custody until 21.  (Seems like they avoided the confiscation word.)

2.  why currently enforcing the under 21 yrs for registration when it wasn't in HRS 134-3, answer was they were applying the age limit from HRS 134-2 even if no permit was needed for the registration.

3 if a firearm is in your custody and the person under 21 moves to the mainland then what happens?  Person arranges for an FFL to ship the firearm to the mainland.

SB621 lost/stolen
1.  how would HPD determine criminal intent?  They weren't sure, but said HPD wouldn't charge a crime victim and prosecutor wouldn't take the case.

SB1466 protective orders
HPD testified something about it shouldnt be their jurisdiction.  Courts testified about processes and financial burden on the courts.  Another person said guns are used 4x more in suicides than crimes.

One positive note is Takayama asked HPD if RAPBACK was connected to the FBI.  HPD said it was not and kept getting pushed back, but could happen in April.  Takayama amended HB1466 to not charge RAPBACK fees until it works.  I had a conversation with him in January about Rapback and I told him we suspect it's not working.  He was really interested in that.  Also noted that HCJDC had a surplus of funds from the fees, not just from rapback.

I'm sure Rep Lee will strip the amendment out in the next committee hearing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:25:12 PM by zippz »

punaperson

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
Had 4 Hifico members attend the PVM hearing on Friday.  Also had about 6 mom's Mom's Demand Action,
So that means that by the Karl Rhoads rule for discounting testimony the Moms Demand Action views were ignored because they had 50% more members present than HIFICO and were thus "better organized", which merits ignoring, according to him.  :rofl:

rpoL98

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »
One positive note is Takayama asked HPD if RAPBACK was connected to the FBI.  HPD said it was not and kept getting pushed back, but could happen in April.  Takayama amended HB1466 to not charge RAPBACK fees until it works.  I had a conversation with him in January about Rapback and I told him we suspect it's not working.  He was really interested in that.  Also noted that HCJDC had a surplus of funds from the fees, not just from rapback.

I'm sure Rep Lee will strip the amendment out in the next committee hearing.
sorry to be a monday-morning QB here from the comfort of my armchair.

I'm thinking that we, the 2A community, would be better off given that Willie Espero's Rapback itself will never be repealed, to have a Rapback that isn't working instead.  If that's the case, would we be better off if HPD is not really motivated to get it to work?  if HCJDC is threatened with a loss of funds, that would motivate somebody to get it to work so that they can keep the money?  on the other hand, if they're not threated with the loss of "$42 per", things would stay at the status quo, and nobody's the wiser?
in essence, each first-time registrant pays a $42 bribe to to not make the Rapback connection to the FBI?  hey, that's how it's done in a banana republic, "cross my palms with silver".  I doubt they'd be willing to write a $42 check to everybody sofar that's paid in, that's not going to happen.

sorta like the idiot french engineer, when faced with a guillotine that's not working, looks at it and says, here, let me fix that for you, before it's his turn.

just a thought.  and thanks guys for fighting the good fight.  Thank You!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2019, 12:54:10 PM »

I'm thinking that we, the 2A community, would be better off given that Willie Espero's Rapback itself will never be repealed, to have a Rapback that isn't working instead.  If that's the case, would we be better off if HPD is not really motivated to get it to work?  if HCJDC is threatened with a loss of funds, that would motivate somebody to get it to work so that they can keep the money?  on the other hand, if they're not threated with the loss of "$42 per", things would stay at the status quo, and nobody's the wiser?
in essence, each first-time registrant pays a $42 bribe to to not make the Rapback connection to the FBI?  hey, that's how it's done in a banana republic, "cross my palms with silver".  I doubt they'd be willing to write a $42 check to everybody sofar that's paid in, that's not going to happen.

sorta like the idiot french engineer, when faced with a guillotine that's not working, looks at it and says, here, let me fix that for you, before it's his turn.

Bigger picture: If you paid the new "one time fee" of $42 with the justification of needing to be entered into RAPBACK, you should sue if that's not being done.

If the money isn't being used as directed by law, it's a fraud on gun owners. Has that money been misappropriated? Did the former police chief use the funds to help his crooked lawyer wife pay for drugs? Where is that money? What's it being spent on?

Enquiring minds.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »
Bigger picture: If you paid the new "one time fee" of $42 with the justification of needing to be entered into RAPBACK, you should sue if that's not being done.

If the money isn't being used as directed by law, it's a fraud on gun owners. Has that money been misappropriated? Did the former police chief use the funds to help his crooked lawyer wife pay for drugs? Where is that money? What's it being spent on?

Enquiring minds.

Class action lawsuit?

--------------------------

Is there a recording of this? Video or audio?

changemyoil66

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2019, 01:04:13 PM »

It's the principal behind RAPBACK. I know a good amount of guys who are not buying because they don't want to be in the system at all.  No one likes to be in any kind of data base, especially one where you cannot remove yourself. 

rpoL98

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2019, 04:01:16 PM »
and then, let's say they do "get it working", so, is it "from here on in" all new first-timers get signed up.  and no, we don't have the resources to go back and manually retroactively do all the previous folks (even tho they paid their $42).

if that's the case, then now is the time to buy buy buy, before they get it working.  because once it's working, then you're in like Flint.  not that you want to be.  this is almost a comedy.

what, don't look at me.

zippz

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2019, 11:31:00 PM »
Sorry my bad, SB621 is not scheduled for a hearing.  SB600 and SB1466 is scheduled for Monday at 2pm.  And HB720 on March 28th.

Second lateral deadline passed on Friday killing SB337 Remote testimony and SB1488 Capitol Security.  Next bill deadline is April 5th Second Decking where all bills must have gone through all their committees.

First lateral deadline for Senate concurrent resolutions is March 27th which would kill SCR 42 Repeal 2nd Amendment if not heard in committee by then.

The 2nd reading floor vote occurred in the House for SB 621 and SB1466 last week.  A bunch voted no or with reservations.  Quinlan (Get the F**k Out) voted NO on both bills.  I wonder if he is pro gun or moderate?

Also I wonder why SB621 isn't scheduled for a hearing with the other two firearm bills?  It's the one with the RAPBACK amendment so they could be reviewing and researching RAPBACK to schedule it by April 5th (corrected) or they want to kill it and go with it's twin bill HB720
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:23:17 AM by zippz »