Battery Maintenance for Prep Gear (Read 5390 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Battery Maintenance for Prep Gear
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »

The batteries in my ear pro is another one I check and change probably more often than I "need" to.  Hate for those to run out when I'm on the range.  Yeah, I usually have spares in my range bag, but there are times when I will use my ear pro without much range gear. 

One that I need to get into more of a regular replacement is the battery for the RDS on my handgun(s).  Many recommend changing once a year, same with the battery of your smoke alarm.  But the smoke alarm in my building is via a central system, not battery.

My wife's one was never on.  #facepalm.  She always forgets.  Funny when we first got it, I was testing it by shouting.  My neighbors prob thought someone had tourettes or something.

That's the shitty part with RDS, is there's no low bat indicator.  My SIG Romeo5 ran out during an exercise, and the dot wasn't any dimmer, so no way of knowing the juice is almost gone.  But it was good because I knew right away to use flip up sights and continue.  Then was able to change the battery once my turn was over.  I have a Magpul stock that has the compartment in it, which I bought for this specific reason. And when I was more of a noob, to put a firing pin in it.  But #1 it don't fit and #2 according to Brownell's YT, they've never seen 1 break for an AR. 

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »
My wife's one was never on.  #facepalm.  She always forgets.  Funny when we first got it, I was testing it by shouting.  My neighbors prob thought someone had tourettes or something.

That's the shitty part with RDS, is there's no low bat indicator.  My SIG Romeo5 ran out during an exercise, and the dot wasn't any dimmer, so no way of knowing the juice is almost gone.  But it was good because I knew right away to use flip up sights and continue.  Then was able to change the battery once my turn was over.  I have a Magpul stock that has the compartment in it, which I bought for this specific reason. And when I was more of a noob, to put a firing pin in it.  But #1 it don't fit and #2 according to Brownell's YT, they've never seen 1 break for an AR.
I read about the RMR showings signs of when the dot battery was running low, but that may have been the Gen 1. 

There are other red dots that have low battery indicators.  EoTechs have low battery indicator when you turn them on.  I caught that a couple of times. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2020, 02:01:54 PM »
I read about the RMR showings signs of when the dot battery was running low, but that may have been the Gen 1. 

There are other red dots that have low battery indicators.  EoTechs have low battery indicator when you turn them on.  I caught that a couple of times.

For $600, it better come with life time supply of batteries also. The Romeo5 is $140's.

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 02:13:54 PM »
For $600, it better come with life time supply of batteries also. The Romeo5 is $140's.
$600?  Mine wasn't that much. . .

Heard good things about Sig Romeos.  As long as you're happy. . .  :thumbsup:

changemyoil66

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 07:13:56 PM »
$600?  Mine wasn't that much. . .

Heard good things about Sig Romeos.  As long as you're happy. . . 
The main factor is the auto on and off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

macsak

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 07:31:33 PM »

heads

Rocky

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »
I think batteries in devices leak due to slight current seepage through switch.
In my go bags and bobs, all battery devices have a little piece of cardboard or non-conductive material between battery's and contacts at the most accessible location.
Yes, need to remove material when needed but my devices stay stored with batteries in place and I have had no issues.
Still check them yearly and the batteries are still good.  ;D
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 06:13:13 PM »
I think batteries in devices leak due to slight current seepage through switch.
In my go bags and bobs, all battery devices have a little piece of cardboard or non-conductive material between battery's and contacts at the most accessible location.
Yes, need to remove material when needed but my devices stay stored with batteries in place and I have had no issues.
Still check them yearly and the batteries are still good.  ;D

The non-rechargeable lithium-ion flashlight batteries I carry in my vehicles have a piece of tape on the positive contact.  The batteries are in a ziplock plastic bag.  The negative (bottom) end of the batteries are recessed below the edge of the battery, so there's no way two negative ends can touch.  The tape keeps the positive poles from coming into contact with any other poles.

So far, so good.  Keeping the ends of lithium batteries covered is required when shipping them to Hawaii, so I figure it was a good precaution to adopt for all my lithiums.

Spare alkaline batteries are in the plastic trays they came in, and they aren't carried as spares normally.  I don't see new, uninstalled batteries leaking.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:51:27 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 12:17:44 PM »
Ahh, never thought about putting something to break the contact for items in storage or kits.  Makes sense as many items are packaged like that for sale.  Will have to try that. 

I have a mix of recharge, dual power source, and battery only.  Lately, the lights I have in my car have some up clutch when "entertaining" my buddies' kids.   ;D

Heavies

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 09:10:48 PM »
I change out batteries on important gear once a year, using lithium batteries to reduce the chance of leakage. 

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 12:05:16 PM »
I change out batteries on important gear once a year, using lithium batteries to reduce the chance of leakage.
Have been using lithium for AA and AAA for a while now.  Haven't had issues with them (knocking on wood). 

zippz

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2020, 09:52:44 PM »
I try to get things that'll take rechargable lithium batteries as much as possible.  My flashlights and emergency lights all take rechargables which I recharge when it gets down to 50% and I have a spare set of batteries for each in the refrigerator for long-term storage and like Ren said, I keep them at 90% charge.  I got a couple small 20,000 Mah battery packs and I'm planning to get a 50W folding solar panel to charge those and my laptop.

I have very few devices that take AA batteries, for those I use low discharge NH batteries (Enloops) to avoid leakage.

For gun stuff, I keep a spare set or two of batteries for each.  I change them every one, two, or three years depending on how much I use them.  I scribble the dates on a piece of paper that I leave in my safe.

Use quality batteries from a proven source, there are counterfeit lithium batteries out there.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

robtmc

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »
I stay far away from duracell batteries.
I had a lot of electrical stuff damaged by duracell leakage.
I switched to lithium ion as much as possible.

What he said^100

DocMercy

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2021, 06:51:31 PM »
After you have chosen which battery system you want to use, you still need to figure out how you're going to charge it when disaster strikes. A 12 v system where the main power is derived from solar charged lithium batteries, or a generator feeding lead acid batteries are two possibilities. You can then power a 12 v refrigerator to keep your soda or green tea cool.

Certain tools like the Milwaukee 12v light are better than most lithium flashlights. You just need to figure out how to charge your Milwaukee, Bosch, Ridgid, Dewalt, etc., lights. Once the Milwaukee light is charged, it can output 5 v through a USB port, to charge many devices like your cellphone.

oldfart

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2021, 08:32:57 PM »
I just recently ordered some alkaline batteries that claim to be leakproof.
They're called "Bonai" batteries.
Most of my stuff is running on LION batteries but sometimes you just need 1.5 v alkalines.
What, Me Worry?