HIFICO 2021 Legislature Firearms Bills(see 1st post) (Read 19435 times)

zippz

Re: HIFICO 2021 Legislature Firearms Bills(see 1st post)
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 07:39:46 PM »
Update:  There are two problems with HB534.
1.  Section (2) has a stand your ground clause added to it for deadly force against the listed violent crimes.  However it conflicts with (5)(b) which still has the original wording "...safely by retreating or by surrendering possession...."  I'm not sure if this is intentional or an error.

2.  Section (5) (B) (i) removes "castle doctorine" in the workplace, requiring you to retreat if possible.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 08:17:52 PM »
Update:  There are two problems with HB534.
1.  Section (2) has a stand your ground clause added to it for deadly force against the listed violent crimes.  However it conflicts with (5)(b) which still has the original wording "...safely by retreating or by surrendering possession...."  I'm not sure if this is intentional or an error.

2.  Section (5) (B) (i) removes "castle doctorine" in the workplace, requiring you to retreat if possible.

Section (2) (5) (b) ends with "provided that: ...", and continues with (I) and (ii), detailing that use of force is justified when the actor is not required to retreat, etc.

The second referenced part makes sense in the context of the bill:

The legislature believes that it
7   is imperative that residents be allowed to defend themselves
8   when in their homes, even using deadly force when necessary;
9   however, the legislature also believes that the use of deadly
10 force is less justified when the person using deadly force is at
11 their place of work.

I guess the "logic" is you can protect YOUR home, family and stuff, but ar work, the stuff belongs to your employer.

Wonder how they do the math when the "actor" is also the business owner?
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 09:45:08 PM »
2 Hunting bills are up for hearing:

HB101 Landowner liability -Please support.   Provides protections to landowners for recreational use of land to include Hunting.  Might encourage private landowners to open up their lands to hunters.  Hearing 2-8-21

SB969 Prohibit manufacture for sale of fur products - It appears to avoid banning hunters products, but stuff like deer pelts and rabibit furs would be banned.  I don't know if this is an issue so I take no position on it.  Hearing 2-8-21
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:58:39 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
Today was a good day with a small win on HB534 (fake) Stand Your Ground which was converted to (Full) Stand Your Ground borrowing from the wording in HB711.  And it passed the PDP committee 8 to 2 even getting votes from some anti-gun reps.  It took some behind the scenes finagling and coming up with a strategy and it worked!  The NRA Liaison Dan Reid also had a big role to play too.  It has 6 more steps to go and the next committee, Judiciary, will be a lot more difficult with 10 antigun vs 2 progun reps.  85% of the work is done prior to the actual committee hearing.  More on this later.

This was our first ZOOM testimony.  It's good in that I don't have to take a day off from work to do it.  However it sucks being at work to do it.  I was running around at work when my name was called and I had to scramble to find an empty room.  I was out of breath and not focused when I was going over my video testimony.  Andrew did his much better.

Next up is HB891 Electric Gun Ban Repeal (BAD) in CPC on Thursday.  This is a BAD bill because it replaces the ban with extreme requirements, treating it like buying a handgun, for something you can buy on Amazon or over the counter in nearly all other states.  We want this bill to die, and we want to win our lawsuit Roberts vs Ballard to legalize them, without restrictions.  So OPPOSE!!!

Reminder, our webinar is coming up tomorrow (Wed) night at 6pm on Zoom or FB Live.  Be there!
ZOOM:  https://zoom.us/j/93018853128
FB Live:  www.fb.com/hificoorg

zippz

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 11:54:50 PM »
No new hearings today.

I did a zoom hearing for HB891 Electric guns which passed 10 to 1.  I did a good 4 minute zoom testimony, and there were a few others in opposition.  The AG zoomed in support.  HPD was opposed because they're already overloaded with firearms permitting and registration.  Kong asked the AG if carry would be allowed, AG just responded that this bill didn't address it.  Har asked some good questions to the AG about why hasn't the court case been settled after all this time and supreme court guidance.  Reason is the judge knows the law is unconstitutional but is doing everything in their power to delay the case so Hawaii can implement taser restrictions which was supposed to be in 2019.

Still got more 5 committee hearings to go through, 4 floor votes, and the governor to pass.

HB783 Probate/Estates was deferred in JHA because of the overwhelming testimonies.  0 for, 5 against.  So it died because there was no supporting testimonies.

HB101 landowner liability was deferred to do additional research in the future.  Some org called the Hawaii Assoc for Justice opposed it saying it gave too much liability protections to landowners.  9 supporting testimonies, I was hoping for a lot more from the hunters.  Oh well.

Tonight promoted the bill to the Chinatown neighborhood board.  I had to explain, HB534 Stand your ground and SB 334 legal fees reimbursement, within 2 minutes.  That was difficult.  Then it got me thinking we have to education people and legislators about the 2 bills because no one really understands it.

zippz

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 06:07:50 PM »
SB301 Assault rifle/mag ban up for hearing on Friday 2-12-21
SB307 50 cal ban up for hearing on Tuesday 2-9-21

This is critical since this year there are only 2 committee it has to clear instead of 4.

Need help collecting testimonies, looking for 1,000+

More to follow. 

6716J

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2021, 12:39:39 PM »
SB301 Assault rifle/mag ban up for hearing on Friday 2-12-21
SB307 50 cal ban up for hearing on Tuesday 2-9-21

This is critical since this year there are only 2 committee it has to clear instead of 4.

Need help collecting testimonies, looking for 1,000+

More to follow.

SB307 one sneaky bastard too. Would effectively ban all shotguns except for .410.  20 gauge is .615 in. and 12 gauge is .79 in. Also bans most black powder firearms
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

zippz

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2021, 09:17:19 PM »
I'll go over things tomorrow.

In the mean time, I haven't heard anything from Mom's Demand Action for a while.  Their Facebook page hasn't had local news on a it for a long time and there's just sporadic online meetings which show very low attendance.  No testimonies for any bills yet.

Hrmmm.

zippz

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2021, 10:15:03 AM »
FYI, I do go through the hundreds, and thousands, of testimonies.  Lots of good points and the quality has improved from last year.  These do make a difference, small bits here and there and for the long term like getting Gabbard back as a gun rights supporter.

HB31 firearm storage for minors passed House Judiciary 8 yes, 1 reservations, 2 no (Tokioka, Ward.  Both progun).

====Sorry hit the submit button by mistake====

Mom's Demand Action has been noticeably silent this year, wonder if funding was cut for their local paid lobbyists?  And I haven't seen any coordinated opposition anywhere else so I assume everyone was getting their info from Mom's Demand Action.  Shows how little interest there actually is in gun control here in the general public if no one is pushing it.

A previous anti gun group, Crossroads Church?, seem have dropped off too.  Their members used to send templated testimony.  Their leader, Ellen Carson did submit testimony on her own and as an individual tho.

zippz

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 04:18:44 PM »
WARNORD:  HB534 Stand Your Ground (GOOD) has a hearing on Tuesday 2pm with the Judiciary.  This is the full real deal stand your ground bill that we will be supporting.

zippz

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »
See the HB534 thread for more info on that.

Thank you for your support

We almost killed SB301 AWB in Sen Rhoads committee this week with our call in and 1,100 testimony drive.  Our faithful gun rights Senators Gabbard and Fevella opposed it.  The new Sen Acasio from Hilo area opposed it too thanks to the call in by our Big Island members and she may be a 2A supporter now.  Thanks to C&S Hunting Supplies, Cold Country Ammo, J Hara, Kona Guns, S Tokunaga, Stuebs, ZSports, Elite Hunters, Pig Hunters of HI, BAD Company, BI Practical Shooters, BI Trap Club, and M&M  on the Big Island for helping out.  Sen Kim, normally a staunch antigun senator, voted with reservations.  We came very close to having her oppose SB301 which would’ve killed it.  Need just a little bit more from that Kalihi/Moanalua district.

Good to see gun stores and gun clubs submitting testimonies now.  I’m still going through them but I’ve seen Puuloa Club, Koffin Works, Freedom Coalition, Young Guns, HRA, NSSF.  Even MAUI POLICE DEPARMENT opposed it for rights violations.   Thanks Security Equipment Corp, I got your testimony in!

FEB 19 1st Lateral Deadline
Feb 19th was the first lateral deadline, any bills with 2 or more committees remaining died, though there are special ways to make them come back.  This took out close to half the gun bills, some good, many bad.

ren

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 01:25:44 PM »
Thank you to HIFICO for your continued legislative efforts in these trying times.
Deeds Not Words

zippz

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 10:18:42 AM »
Turn in opposing testimony for HB1366 for FIN Hearing tomorrow (2-25-21) at 11am  We need a some opposition testimony submitted.  I'm not sure why it's in the Finance committee since there are no fees or costs associated with this bill, except extra appointment slots HPD has to cover to get em registered?  I dunno but saving the effort for other battles to come.

They changed out the retroactive effective date and moved it forward to January 1 2022.  So any "ghost guns" and 80% receivers, completed or uncompleted, need to be serialized and registered by that date.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=1366&year=2021