SB307 50 cal & SB301 10rd rifle mags (Read 10962 times)

changemyoil66

SB307 50 cal & SB301 10rd rifle mags
« on: March 04, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
Up for senate floor vote. Email and call your senator (not representative) BEFORE 3/9 and tell them to vote no

Let them know for SB301, there were 1100 oppose testimony and only 19 support.

I called my rep and the gal who picked up the phone was surprised it even made it past committee with those numbers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mdotweber

Re: SB307 50 cal & SB301 10rd rifle mags
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:32:58 AM »
Try to be nice to them please, think honey vs vinegar. Explain your position with personal experiences link video of people being taken down by LEO's emptying 17 rnd magazines while the perp still charges them. Invite them out to shoot, I'm sure many fellow firearms owners and instructors would gladly make a fun day of it with anybody interested.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:28:08 AM by Mdotweber »
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

punaperson

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 05:24:56 PM »
Try to be nice to them please, think honey vs vinegar. Explain your position with personal experiences link video of people being taken down by LEO's emptying 17 rnd magazines while the perp still charges them. Invite them out to shoot, I'm sure many fellow firearms owners and instructors would gladly make a fun day of it with anybody interested.
Isn't that the strategy employed by the Jews with Nationalsozialismus? And by Russians under Stalin? And by Japanese Americans as they were rounded up for concentration "internment" camps? And by the Armenians to the Turks? And by the Cambodians to Pol Pot? And by the Uyghurs to the CCP? There are at least 20 more in the past 100 years, but I'll stop there...

Please let me know when you get an outcome that actually results in Hawaii residents increasing their ability to exercise their rights as protected by the Constitution.

PS I'm likely only going to be alive for a few more years... will I see anything?

Mdotweber

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 07:40:21 PM »
Isn't that the strategy employed by the Jews with Nationalsozialismus? And by Russians under Stalin? And by Japanese Americans as they were rounded up for concentration "internment" camps? And by the Armenians to the Turks? And by the Cambodians to Pol Pot? And by the Uyghurs to the CCP? There are at least 20 more in the past 100 years, but I'll stop there...

Please let me know when you get an outcome that actually results in Hawaii residents increasing their ability to exercise their rights as protected by the Constitution.

PS I'm likely only going to be alive for a few more years... will I see anything?

I hear ya but we can still win some of these people over. Thirteen or so nay votes can go a long way to stop this crap (at least for now).
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

punaperson

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »
I hear ya but we can still win some of these people over. Thirteen or so nay votes can go a long way to stop this crap (at least for now).
Oh, when you gave the example of 17-round mags used by cops I thought you were referring to legislation that would restore some of our fundamental natural individual rights to legal status (revoke/repeal unconstitutional handgun mag limit), not just the attempt to stop legislation outlawing more of our rights.

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 08:59:03 AM »
Acasio is a new senator. So for her to listen to her people that she represents is huge.  But maybe because she hasn't been tainted like the other super anti 2a's on the committee (Rhodes, Lee, K). So it's a step to keep them reminded that they are supposed to serve the people and not push their own agenda.

It all needs to start some where.  And the attitude of "it wont help" or "no sense cause we still don't have the #s" is the mentality that got us where we are today.  But it is much easier to voice your opinions due to the internet. When the pistol mag ban came around in the 90's the internet wasn't what it was today.  So maybe much of the older guys weren't aware and didn't make that call to their senator/rep.  IDK cause I wasn't in the culture at the time so I'm just guessing. Same goes with registration.

If someone could post estimates of what was done to stop the pistol mag ban and registration that would been nice.  Like how when the SB301 came up, we got 1100 oppose testimonies.  Where the #s like that back in the 90s?

punaperson

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »
Acasio is a new senator. So for her to listen to her people that she represents is huge.  But maybe because she hasn't been tainted like the other super anti 2a's on the committee (Rhodes, Lee, K). So it's a step to keep them reminded that they are supposed to serve the people and not push their own agenda.

Acasio was appointed, not elected. So she does not truly represent any constituency that chose her over others. Even if she did, the constituency of almost all Hawaii districts is overwhelmingly Democrat registration, so they'd want her to pass any and all "gun safety regulations". How are you going to educate and inform those who have no interest or motivation to be educated or informed? They are the ones that elect the government.

It all needs to start some where.  And the attitude of "it wont help" or "no sense cause we still don't have the #s" is the mentality that got us where we are today. 

You really think that calling a commie fascist authoritarian (aka "Democrat") and politely ("honey, not vinegar") asking them to vote against the orders of their bosses is a "mentality" that will change the unconstitutional laws? Why would you think that?

But it is much easier to voice your opinions due to the internet. When the pistol mag ban came around in the 90's the internet wasn't what it was today.  So maybe much of the older guys weren't aware and didn't make that call to their senator/rep.  IDK cause I wasn't in the culture at the time so I'm just guessing. Same goes with registration.

How long has the internet been around? How many unconstitutional laws re the right to keep and bear arms have been passed in Hawaii during that time? I believe your hypothesis fails, bigly.

If someone could post estimates of what was done to stop the pistol mag ban and registration that would been nice.  Like how when the SB301 came up, we got 1100 oppose testimonies.  Where the #s like that back in the 90s?

SB301, with "1100 opposed testimonies" (at least 10, and maybe 20 times those testimonies in favor) passed committee 5 to 3.

Just called. Senator San Buenaventura's office says they don't know how she's going to vote (haha), but will get back to me. Rep. Onishi's office says he's not on judiciary committee, which is where it will go in the House if it passes the Senate floor vote, so it's a bit in the future... call the house judiciary chair's office if it passes the senate floor vote.

6716J

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 11:04:47 AM »
Response from Sen Kidani..

Aloha XXXX,

Mahalo for taking the time to reach out with your thoughtful opposition to SB307 SD1. You make many valid points on the bill. I would like to note that in reviewing the testimony, multiple testifiers noted that they, or someone they knew, currently possessed and used firearms that fire .50 caliber ammunition. One testifier noted that a hunter used a .500 S&W revolver to hunt in addition to rifles.

I also appreciate the Judiciary Chair’s effort to exempt black-powder rifles and shotguns, as noted in the testimony was an unintended consequence of the bill.

In this instance, we will have to agree to disagree on further gun restrictions as I will likely vote for the bill when it comes to the floor for third reading. But I will note that it does have a defective date, meaning it must go to conference for discussion, and will see what the House plans on doing with the bill. I hope that I can continue to serve and assist you in other ways as your Senator.

Senator Michelle Kidani
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 11:40:19 AM »
1) I don't think the honey vs. vinegar is useful at all. To me, it all depends who you're talking to.  My senator who had an aide answer the phone was super nice and surprised when I spoke to her in a honey tone. Now had I used vinegar, I think she would be more defensive and not willing to give the info I gave.  But if I had to talk direct to my senator, then she's a moron and more a mix of honey and vinegar would be needed.  But not 100% vinegar.

2) The net being around and being used by majority of the people is a huge thing IMO.  Yes back in 94, the net may have been available, but there probably weren't as many users or pages as there are today. Even for myself, I didn't start to use it on a regular basis until after 2002 when I grad high school.  The social media at the time was mainly Asian Avenue, and Myspace was just starting to take off.  So to expect the NRA or like org to have a page and coordinate like how HIFICO would be low.  We only got into the 2a in 2016, so when it comes to bills and stuff, I only have XP from 16 to now, but really 2017 because I missed the RAPBACK bills.  When I went to my first hearing, there were only about 6 of us there and about 12 Moms, this was in 2017.

3) Buenaventura (Joy?) did vote against the bill last year that would reduce the time to lend a rifle/shotty from 15 days to 24 hours or something.  She was asking HPD  good questions and bringing up hunting trips that last a week or longer. After all the discussion, it circled back to 15 days and the bill died.  So when speaking to her, I would use mix vinegar and honey.  Because she is more anti2a than pro 2a.  But guess the hunters called her and were concerned.

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »
Response from Sen Kidani..

Aloha XXXX,

Mahalo for taking the time to reach out with your thoughtful opposition to SB307 SD1. You make many valid points on the bill. I would like to note that in reviewing the testimony, multiple testifiers noted that they, or someone they knew, currently possessed and used firearms that fire .50 caliber ammunition. One testifier noted that a hunter used a .500 S&W revolver to hunt in addition to rifles.

I also appreciate the Judiciary Chair’s effort to exempt black-powder rifles and shotguns, as noted in the testimony was an unintended consequence of the bill.

In this instance, we will have to agree to disagree on further gun restrictions as I will likely vote for the bill when it comes to the floor for third reading. But I will note that it does have a defective date, meaning it must go to conference for discussion, and will see what the House plans on doing with the bill. I hope that I can continue to serve and assist you in other ways as your Senator.

Senator Michelle Kidani

At least you didn't get a cookie cutter response.  And a "I support the 2a, but...".

Bota-CS1

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »
At least you didn't get a cookie cutter response.  And a "I support the 2a, but...".

Dear Ms Kidanj,

The fact that the chair had no clue his bill would prohibit black powder rifles and shotguns should have been your first clue Mr. Rhoads has no idea what he’s doing.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

omnigun

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 03:19:20 PM »

Bunch of angery snip

Its about accomplishing your goal. If you want someone to listen and take your side calling them awful things isn't the best way...That's not how politics work.  Democrats are people too...

robtmc

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 03:26:04 PM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 03:30:19 PM »

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

punaperson

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »

Bunch of angery snip
That's not a quote from me asshole. I know how to spell.

punaperson

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 10:05:18 AM »
Anyone know the approximate time to expect vote results today on these bills?

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 11:42:26 AM »
Both passed.

SB301-19Aye's, 2 with reservatons, and 6 nays

SB307-21 Aye's-1 with reservations and 4 nays

hvybarrels

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »
On the positive side if they tried to pass this during good economic times with low crime then the backlash they are now facing would be much less severe. On the negative side they just convinced tens of thousands of citizens that it is better to be a criminal than to trust the government with their information.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

punaperson

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 12:21:41 PM »
Both passed.

SB301-19Aye's, 2 with reservatons, and 6 nays

SB307-21 Aye's-1 with reservations and 4 nays
Thanks. That overwhelming amount of public testimony in opposition, and all the honey-coated phone calls really did the trick! Oh, wait... never mind. They only got 76% and 84% for passage... think how much worse it would have been without all that testimony and honey-baked calling!

I submitted my honey-coated call to San Buenaventura's office the other day... he said he didn't know how she'd be voting and they would get back to me. Haven't heard a word. Maybe they'll call sometime next month? I'll be sure to make another really nice honeyed phone call to them again in the near future.

punaperson

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 12:25:11 PM »
On the positive side if they tried to pass this during good economic times with low crime then the backlash they are now facing would be much less severe. On the negative side they just convinced tens of thousands of citizens that it is better to be a criminal than to trust the government with their information.
Backlash? What kind of backlash? From whom? To what degree? Are you implying enough backlash that they won't be re-elected, forever? I see them getting back pats, not lashes.