What Did You Do in Your Reloading Room Today? (Read 50263 times)

drck1000

Re: What Did You Do in Your Reloading Room Today?
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2021, 02:03:25 PM »
in my research i came across the mcdonalds straw mod.  if the expanding nut doesn't work, thats next on my list

thats probably what i was looking at the "over" cert.  i'll let you know if my modifications fail, hopefully they don't   :shaka:
Cool.  I was going the manual/spoon method until I sprung for the Chargemaster.  It's much faster.  Only humbug part is when I change powders between batches.  Forgetting to close the drain spigot thingy was one lesson learned pretty quickly.   :(

:rofl:

macsak

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
I had the same problem with my RCBS Chargemaster. Heavies turned me on to a hack using a McDonalds straw cut in a certain way. And it works very well. Has been working for 7 or 8 years now. Price = $0

no plastic straws here any more
 :'(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:22:32 PM by macsak »

Inspector

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2021, 05:19:30 PM »
no plastic straws here any moer
 :'(
There was a story last year that they were selling on eBay for as much as $1k.  :o

If you want I’ll see if they still have them at the McD’s near me and I’ll grab a few and send them to you.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

stangzilla

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2021, 07:46:52 AM »
prepped some Starline 44mag brass for the 245 grain Keith bullets.  got them cleaned and primed, ready for the powder when I get a chance. also using these primers I got on a trade. box looks old, but primers look good
side by side comparison of Hunter's Supply SWC on the left, and Stateline Keith bullet on the right.  the Keith head of the bullet is bigger. less of the projectile will be in the brass if you compare the crimp groove on each one.
plan is to load a good warm load using AA#7. since it's a Keith bullet, I didn't want to go Trailboss, a little hotter would be nice, but I'll save the H110 for JHP bullets.

aletheuo137

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »
Nice primers!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

stangzilla

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 12:31:29 PM »
Nice primers!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

:shaka:

Inspector

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »
I finally decided to replace the old dirty crushed walnut shells in my vibratory tumbler. One day I tried using the Lyman media renew fluid and it put a crust of gunk so hard on the inside of my tumbler I couldn’t scratch it off with my fingernail. I threw out the old shells and I soaked the bowl in hot water, dish soap and a little bleach. After an hour of soaking it was soft enough to remove with a scrub sponge. Then I realized I didn’t have enough walnut shells to fill the bowl back up. I went out to 4 LGS and Sportsman Warehouse and no one had any. So I stopped by Harbor Freight and they were out. On my way home I stopped at Petco and they had bags of it.

I reloaded 100 rounds of 300 Blackout plinking ammo using 110gr Nosler Varmageddon over H110 with a Small Rifle Magnum Primer. I was lucky enough to pick up the heads in bulk at 12 cents a piece. I should have bought more. I dumped them into the vibratory tumbler. I need to process more brass so I can load some more rounds.

It’s time to get back to casting some new boolits for my 38, 357 and 45.

jc2721

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2021, 01:42:18 PM »
Well, for the past couple of weeks I've been reloading 38 and 45--about a .50 cal can of each.  Ordered more bullets about 10 days ago but they haven't shown up yet.

Yesterday I saw 124 gr. JHP bullets (not heads or boolits) for sale at one of my suppliers, by the time lunch rolled around they were sold out.

I have noticed that pistol powder has been selling out quickly--no 231, BE, HP 38, tight group, etc., is available, just some Unique and trailboss.  I have enough unique to last a few years, about enough to match my primer supply, lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Inspector

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2021, 03:19:01 PM »
Well, for the past couple of weeks I've been reloading 38 and 45--about a .50 cal can of each.  Ordered more bullets about 10 days ago but they haven't shown up yet.

Yesterday I saw 124 gr. JHP bullets (not heads or boolits) for sale at one of my suppliers, by the time lunch rolled around they were sold out.

I have noticed that pistol powder has been selling out quickly--no 231, BE, HP 38, tight group, etc., is available, just some Unique and trailboss.  I have enough unique to last a few years, about enough to match my primer supply, lol.

I have enough Unique to last me a year I think. About 2 years worth of Titegroup. And about 6 months worth of Red Dot, Green Dot and Bullseye. And probably 2-3 years worth of H110. And yet I still feel I don’t have enough pistol powder. And I will buy more if I see some available for sale. I have choke rifle powder.

I need more bullets (9mm mostly). I am using up what I have left and I’m casting my own (38/357 & 45). In a pinch I can cast 9mm as well. I just prefer to use jacketed bullets in 9mm. After I get better at casting and powder coating my pistol boolits I will start casting rifle boolits.

oldfart

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2021, 08:52:07 AM »
I made these last week in hopes of finding a cheap alternative that shoots straight out of my glock.
There is a common warning about excessive crimp on these bullets, but I think that is incorrect.

135 polymers
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2021, 08:56:20 AM »
I made these last week in hopes of finding a cheap alternative that shoots straight out of my glock.
There is a common warning about excessive crimp on these bullets, but I think that is incorrect.

135 polymers
There is nothing wrong with your Glock. It shoots straight. It’s the shooter who’s cockeyed!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

oldfart

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2021, 09:06:14 AM »
There is nothing wrong with your Glock. It shoots straight. It’s the shooter who’s cockeyed!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
=============
sez the guy that just blamed his poor shooting on the iron sights on his carcano
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2021, 09:10:34 AM »
=============
sez the guy that just blamed his poor shooting on the iron sights on his carcano
If you can’t see ‘em, you can’t use ‘em!  :rofl:

oldfart

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
If you can’t see ‘em, you can’t use ‘em!  :rofl:
My ex-wife said that >:(

What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2021, 09:29:55 AM »
My ex-wife said that >:(

I know.... 

She told me! :rofl:

oldfart

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2021, 09:54:30 AM »
I know.... 

She told me! :rofl:
============
sorry, I have to go shoot off my blue balls now
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2021, 10:38:14 AM »
============
sorry, I have to go shoot off my blue balls now

Go have fun. My nephew came up from Chandler yesterday and we went to the range and shot his new Stribog Grand Power SP9A3. He had a suppressor on it as well. I liked the balance of it without the suppressor but it was very quiet with it. It is also a delayed roller blowback design. It was amazingly light recoiling. Felt no more than a 10/22. We shot some reloads of mine which were in the 950-1000 fps range so subsonic and he brought some 115gr aluminum cased supersonic rounds. Very interesting the difference in sound with the suppressor on between the two different cartridges. I also brought my S&W Model 547 which of course is quite old school. But was shot extensively by my nephew.

This was the first time I had been to the range since late January.

stangzilla

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2021, 07:31:56 AM »
reloaded some 245 grain SWC Elmer Keith style bullets from Stateline Bullets
the OAL just made it inside the cylinder of my 629.  Ruger Redhawk and Super Blackhawk have slightly longer cylinder, but I plan to test it out of the 629 since Elmer Keith favored the S&W 29 I think
I made a heavy crimp so it shouldn't have any bullet jump, hopefully
test it out soon  :thumbsup:

stangzilla

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2021, 11:14:00 AM »

a few weeks ago at SEC I saw they are now selling Accurate powders.  I guess since Hodgdon bought them.  but they had a good amount of ACC#5, 7, and 9 a few weeks ago.  might be gone by now

drck1000

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
Setup annealer and got it running.  Need to practice and get process down.  It seemed pretty easy, but also want to see the results with annealing in the reloading process.  Have some practice brass and will do some trials prior to implementing with the "real" brass in my reloading process.  I also have a few upgrades that I have on order to get the positioning of the torch nozzle easier to setup and maintain the position.