Take a chill pill, guys... (Read 26745 times)

omnigun

Re: Take a chill pill, guys...
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2021, 11:06:37 PM »
Thank goodness I don't believe this forum is run like a cult.  Do you hear yourselves talk?  You speak of freedom and the first amendment and in the same breath try to cast out a person who does not conform to your beliefs.  Much like that fake "free" new social media site.   If you truly think that everyone who doesn't agree with you is some sort of troll and adds nothing to the community all you are doing is making the partisan divides worse.  I've written testimonials, I've showed up the protests and even donated money.  I sold and bought items with community members here.  This state is majority not republican.  You HAVE to have the democrat and independent voters on your side to preserve 2a rights.  People have different beliefs and to box yourself in the echo chamber does nothing for the community.  I am sure there are those with similar opinions as I but don't post because they fear the same mob mentality.  Much like jurors that voted to convict chauvin.  I don't fear people disagreeing me.  I feel there is a purpose for myself and I wish to bring both sides to a more central point.  We don't have to agree on anything but 2a, and even that there are different "levels" of support.  But casting anyone out that doesn't exactly believe the same thing will only leave you alone.  This site is about the 2nd amendment,  its not a republican site.  The second amendment is the root.  You can have differentiating opinions on everything else.

I repeat myself many times because many times there are members that keep posting unproven or fakenews.  Also if you keep repeating the same anti opinion,  I will repeatedly post mine.  I am not always correct and do admit when I am wrong,  I am only human.  There are also times when I am disproven by science at a later date or the reverse is true too when science comes to a conclusion.  Hate to break to some people here, but my beliefs outside this forum are actually many times the majority opinions.  A majority of America wants to legalize weed,  thinks the election was legit, that Biden is president.  Also a majority support abortion a good chunk don't believe in god or the same gods, and at the very least think religion doesn't belong in government.  I defend my positions but if you refuse to believe them there is nothing I can do.  Every person has the ability to "backup" or find something on the internet that makes them feel they are right.  That's why we have flatearthers etc. Take a look at that abortion thread.  A decent chunk of members actually do support it,  but I am one of the few willing to put my name out there and argue for it.  And yes, conversations sometimes get repetitive, that's because if both sides keep arguing the same things there's no solution.  Its like disproving god.  There is no "true" answer.  We lack the technology to say 100% which side is correct.  Doesn't really mean either side should stop.  Every time it gets brought up again perhaps new information is added and peoples opinions may change.

Because some people complain about the lack of links even though google exists.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/07/16/8-facts-about-religion-and-government-in-the-united-states/

https://news.gallup.com/poll/323582/support-legal-marijuana-inches-new-high.aspx

https://morningconsult.com/form/tracking-voter-trust-in-elections/

Flapp_Jackson

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 01:31:01 AM »
There is hope

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 07:50:30 AM »
  but I am one of the few willing to put my name out there and argue for it. 

What is your real name?
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 11:13:12 AM »
A decent chunk of members actually do support it,  but I am one of the few willing to put my name out there and argue for it. 
School + age = pretty easy to find a name and more....I make it a practice to never have identifying information of me online.
What is your real name?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So much for "putting your name out there!"   :rofl: :rofl: 
-- Melvin Udall

Glasser

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 05:47:03 PM »
Thank goodness I don't believe this forum is run like a cult.  Do you hear yourselves talk?  You speak of freedom and the first amendment and in the same breath try to cast out a person who does not conform to your beliefs.  Much like that fake "free" new social media site.   If you truly think that everyone who doesn't agree with you is some sort of troll and adds nothing to the community all you are doing is making the partisan divides worse.  I've written testimonials, I've showed up the protests and even donated money.  I sold and bought items with community members here.  This state is majority not republican.  You HAVE to have the democrat and independent voters on your side to preserve 2a rights.  People have different beliefs and to box yourself in the echo chamber does nothing for the community.  I am sure there are those with similar opinions as I but don't post because they fear the same mob mentality.  Much like jurors that voted to convict chauvin.  I don't fear people disagreeing me.  I feel there is a purpose for myself and I wish to bring both sides to a more central point.  We don't have to agree on anything but 2a, and even that there are different "levels" of support.  But casting anyone out that doesn't exactly believe the same thing will only leave you alone.  This site is about the 2nd amendment,  its not a republican site.  The second amendment is the root.  You can have differentiating opinions on everything else.

I repeat myself many times because many times there are members that keep posting unproven or fakenews.  Also if you keep repeating the same anti opinion,  I will repeatedly post mine.  I am not always correct and do admit when I am wrong,  I am only human.  There are also times when I am disproven by science at a later date or the reverse is true too when science comes to a conclusion.  Hate to break to some people here, but my beliefs outside this forum are actually many times the majority opinions.  A majority of America wants to legalize weed,  thinks the election was legit, that Biden is president.  Also a majority support abortion a good chunk don't believe in god or the same gods, and at the very least think religion doesn't belong in government.  I defend my positions but if you refuse to believe them there is nothing I can do.  Every person has the ability to "backup" or find something on the internet that makes them feel they are right.  That's why we have flatearthers etc. Take a look at that abortion thread.  A decent chunk of members actually do support it,  but I am one of the few willing to put my name out there and argue for it.  And yes, conversations sometimes get repetitive, that's because if both sides keep arguing the same things there's no solution.  Its like disproving god.  There is no "true" answer.  We lack the technology to say 100% which side is correct.  Doesn't really mean either side should stop.  Every time it gets brought up again perhaps new information is added and peoples opinions may change.

Because some people complain about the lack of links even though google exists.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/07/16/8-facts-about-religion-and-government-in-the-united-states/

https://news.gallup.com/poll/323582/support-legal-marijuana-inches-new-high.aspx

https://morningconsult.com/form/tracking-voter-trust-in-elections/

Wait wait, you are the guy who has been super adamant that private tech platforms have a right to deny service to any and all for reasons of their own choosing are you not? You know this IS a private tech platform correct?

Arent you also the guy who strongly believes that folks should be indefinitely  quarantined  even if there is no proof they are a threat to community health? These are both things you have championed more than once are they not?

Folks getting kicked out or locked down  are ideas you are completely on board with and consider  legitimate ways to behave, why should those things not apply in this context Alinsky?

omnigun

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2021, 08:38:40 PM »

Wait wait, you are the guy who has been super adamant that private tech platforms have a right to deny service to any and all for reasons of their own choosing are you not? You know this IS a private tech platform correct?

Yes, and so far they have not made any decision on that.  I am not the only non conservative here.

Arent you also the guy who strongly believes that folks should be indefinitely  quarantined  even if there is no proof they are a threat to community health? These are both things you have championed more than once are they not?

Not sure on the relevance.  And I've never said indefinitely.

Folks getting kicked out or locked down  are ideas you are completely on board with and consider  legitimate ways to behave, why should those things not apply in this context Alinsky?
Yes for public health and safety of the nation certain freedoms are relinquished to an extent.   Neither apply to this context.  If this forum or any site presents itself as a environment for free speech and thought it should do so.  Many sites do not advertise themselves as that and the users have to accept that.

I do my best to adhere to all forum rules and have adjusted my posts according to mods.  I do not think I deserve any sort of ban.

ren

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »
nothing to do with your views, everything to do with your etiquette.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2021, 09:46:42 PM »
I do my best to adhere to all forum rules and have adjusted my posts according to mods.  I do not think I deserve any sort of ban.

No, you do not.  There are rules and standards that are accepted and followed by most people online even if the rules are not articulated in writing on every site or forum.

It's like knowing you don't cut in line at the movies or post office even though there are no signs telling you not to. 

In fact, other members here have tried to educate you quite often on forum etiquette, but you don't show any sign of accepting their advice.

Common sense only works if you listen to what it's telling you.

1.  Before posting your question to a discussion board, check if anyone has asked it already and
received a reply. Just as you wouldn’t repeat a topic of discussion right after it happened in real life,
don’t do that in discussion boards either.

2.  Stay on topic – Don’t post irrelevant links, comments, thoughts, or pictures.

3.  Don’t type in ALL CAPS! If you do, it will look like you’re screaming.

4.  Don’t write anything that sounds angry or sarcastic, even as a joke, because without hearing
your tone of voice, your peers might not realize you’re joking.

5.  Always remember to say “Please” and “Thank you” when soliciting help from your fellow members.

6.  Respect the opinions of other members. If you feel the need to disagree, do so respectfully and
acknowledge the valid points in your classmate’s argument. Acknowledge that others are entitled to
have their own perspective on the issue.

7.  If you reply to a question from someone, make sure your answer is accurate! If you’re not 100%
sure of the answer, DO NOT GUESS! Otherwise, you could really mess things up for someone and
they will not appreciate it.

8.  If you ask a question and many people respond, summarize all answers and post that summary to
benefit the whole forum.

9.  Be brief. If you write a long dissertation in response to a simple question, it’s unlikely that anyone
will spend the time to read through it all.

10.  Don’t badmouth others or call them stupid. You may disagree with their ideas, but don’t mock the
person.

11.  If you refer to something someone said earlier in the discussion, quote justa few key lines from
their post so that others wont have to go back and figure out which post you’re referring to.

12.  Before asking a question, check the FAQs or search the internet to see if the answer is obvious or
easy to find.

13.  Check the most recent comments before you reply to an older comment, since the issue might have
already been resolved or opinions may have changed.

14.  Be forgiving. If your classmate makes a mistake, don’t badger him or her for it. Just let it go – it
happens to the best of us.

15.  Run a spelling and grammar check before posting anything to the discussion board. It only takes a minute,
and can make the difference between sounding like a fool and sounding knowledgeable.

RULE OF THUMB: If you wouldn’t do or say something in real life, don’t do it online either.

These are the standards most reputable schools teach their students.  If a regular student can learn and apply these standards, surely an IT professional from a private school should have no problem with them.

https://blogs.onlineeducation.touro.edu/15-rules-netiquette-online-discussion-boards/
-- Melvin Udall

bass monkey

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2021, 09:48:28 PM »
Oh so that's what's been going on.

I propose to get Inspector back & swap out for another member

omnigun

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 09:56:08 PM »
No, you do not.  There are rules and standards that are accepted and followed by most people online even if the rules are not articulated in writing on every site or forum.

It's like knowing you don't cut in line at the movies or post office even though there are no signs telling you not to. 

In fact, other members here have tried to educate you quite often on forum etiquette, but you don't show any sign of accepting their advice.

Common sense only works if you listen to what it's telling you.

These are the standards most reputable schools teach their students.  If a regular student can learn and apply these standards, surely an IT professional from a private school should have no problem with them.

https://blogs.onlineeducation.touro.edu/15-rules-netiquette-online-discussion-boards/

Can you honestly say you follow all of those rules in a much different manner than me?  Or other fellow forum members?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:12:35 PM by omnigun »

macsak

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2021, 10:09:42 PM »
Can you honestly say you follow all of those rules in a much different manor than me?  Or other fellow forum members?

stately wayne manor?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 10:09:55 PM »
Can you honestly say you follow all of those rules in a much different manor than me?  Or other fellow forum members?

It's a fallacy to believe that you "adhere to all forum rules," then try to excuse your lack of adhering to forum rules with the tired old "but you don't follow them either!"

Is your honest answer, "I don't follow the rules because I must follow the example set by others?"

Ever hear of "Two wrongs don't make a right?"

Do you even think about what you post?
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2021, 10:12:15 PM »

someone said it earlier "I know you are, but what am I?!"

omnigun

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2021, 10:13:18 PM »

True, I will end the convo with him.  I don't see a productive end result. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2021, 10:19:05 PM »

He didn't understand your message -- only that he's unable to offer a coherent and intelligent response other than admitting I was right.
-- Melvin Udall

Glasser

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2021, 07:50:07 PM »
The solution to intentionally disruptive posters trying to farm the ire of the community is simple. Relegate their ability to post in a single thread just for them, that way their rights to free speech are 100% protected, and they are quarantined from smearing poop in every thread on the board. If folks really want to seek out their opinions and engage in banter with a punching bag they easily can without leaving skids marks over the rest of the board.

This solution checks ALL the boxes this poster has championed.

Free Speech is a guaranteed.

Tech's right to segregate content as they see fit

Lock-downs and Quarantines are important for a healthy community.

I think this is at the very least an idea that should be given a trial to test its effectiveness.

omnigun

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
The solution to intentionally disruptive posters trying to farm the ire of the community is simple. Relegate their ability to post in a single thread just for them, that way their rights to free speech are 100% protected, and they are quarantined from smearing poop in every thread on the board. If folks really want to seek out their opinions and engage in banter with a punching bag they easily can without leaving skids marks over the rest of the board.

This solution checks ALL the boxes this poster has championed.

Free Speech is a guaranteed.

Tech's right to segregate content as they see fit

Lock-downs and Quarantines are important for a healthy community.

I think this is at the very least an idea that should be given a trial to test its effectiveness.

About the same level of free speech as that promised free speech site that banned swearing and talking bad about the magic men of the sky. 

It could be that some forum members are capable of different thoughts on different subjects.  I definitely don't "farm the ire" of people on some subjects like immigration and China,  etc.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2021, 09:26:57 PM »
About the same level of free speech as that promised free speech site that banned swearing and talking bad about the magic men of the sky. 

It could be that some forum members are capable of different thoughts on different subjects.  I definitely don't "farm the ire" of people on some subjects like immigration and China,  etc.

If the intent of "talking bad" is to insult, demean or simply be argumentative, then the post is unproductive.

One of the duties of mods is to keep the forum from devolving into a food fight.

Free speech can be moderated using standards.  As MOST people (not you) are well aware, you are better off never discussing politics and religion at social events.  Those two subjects are totally opinion-oriented, and it's a sure bet there will be at least 2 of you there on opposing sides of any political or religious issue.  It's improbable that either of you will change your opinions, so it's best not to "exercise your free speech" just because YOU can't control yourself.

-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »
If the intent of "talking bad" is to insult, demean or simply be argumentative, then the post is unproductive.

One of the duties of mods is to keep the forum from devolving into a food fight.

Definition of Umni and your exchanges.

#TrollsinControl
#Why4UserNames