Cutting the cable, mostly (Read 1119 times)

robtmc

Cutting the cable, mostly
« on: April 10, 2021, 01:21:54 PM »
I only watch a DVD now and then, virtually no cable stuff.  TW/Spectrum is full of garbage of course.

Wife is pissed at the $120 or so a month and called them to cancel.  She is the prime TV watcher and has a Roku now.

Seems they now have a "sort of" ala carte option, $35/mo and four chosen channels.  Give up the DVR in the cable box, had not used that since the NFL when liberal
Wife chose PBS and some other stuff, like Fx in case they do something good again like Deadwood or Justified.

Anyone tried this new(er) arrangement?  I am suspicious they will sneak in more add-on costs.

aletheuo137

Re: Cutting the cable, mostly
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 01:36:37 PM »
I have Roku, and opted for the free stuff. Plus I have enough DVDs to watch and will buy some movies when I find the ones I like. I told Spectrum I have a $100 ceiling limit, and warned them I would cut cable when they passed it. Have other things that I like to spend money on. Yeah, I to left behind sports as it went left over the years. Mets, Celtics, Niners, LSU football, and Jayhawk fan. But I love my country more than these.

hvybarrels

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 01:44:53 PM »
One of the best things I ever did was to not replace my old TV when it died. Now I just have to work on the internet addiction.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
my TV has been on channel 3 for the last few decades and I just pop in a Betamax when I get bored. If I wanna play games I just switch the modulator on and plug in the Atari
Deeds Not Words

robtmc

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 02:00:19 PM »
One of the best things I ever did was to not replace my old TV when it died. Now I just have to work on the internet addiction.
Without internet, I would have no window on the world.

Funny about your TV dying.  My 14 year old Panasonic plasma crapped out.  luckily, they programmed in a blink code that was fan failure.

Sure enough, on of the cooling fans was dead.  Played hell finding the right replacement, important so the frequency signal it sends is correct.  Took the back off, swapped the $35 fan, and all is fine again.

That saved hundreds of dollars, and I only see LCD TVs that compare to plasma that are $$$  They also seem to have dropped making the size i have in the cabinet, all larger now.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 02:17:41 PM »
Lots of options.

I use Amazon FireTV.  With my Prime subscription comes a bunch of free movies and TV shows.  I still subscribe to Netflix, but find myself watching less and less.  It's mostly for my granddaughter and the kid's shows.

My AT&T plan includes a no-longer-available WatchTV subscription that has a bunch of stations: AMC (Walking Dead  :geekdanc:), TBS, Discovery, etc.  I was using Over-The-Air (OTA) service to get some of that.

I found with the money I save by only having Internet from Spectrum, I can afford a few individual channel subscriptions.  For one or two months of the savings I'm getting, I can pay for CBS All Access (Now called Paramount+) and Mug Club from Steven Crowder.  That's about $200/yr vs. $700+/yr I'm saving -- and I get full access to TV shows and movies on Paramount+ ... all on demand.  it's nice to watch the few shows I still enjoy without commercials.   :thumbsup:

OTA offers a bunch of digital HD channels, but if you're spoiled by on-demand viewing or the cable company's DVR, you'll need to spend money on a DVR that works for your OTA service.

PLEX is another good service.  It's $4.99/mon, $39.99/yr and $119.00 for a lifetime membership.  You can stream movies, TV Shows, and even Live TV.  Music can be streamed with a TIDAL subscription.  It's also what I use for streaming my home library of movies, TV shows and music.

It all comes down to what you can find for free and then paying a subscription fee for anything else you want.  In the end, it should be much less than any cable subscription.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Inspector

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 03:38:05 PM »
I only watch a DVD now and then, virtually no cable stuff.  TW/Spectrum is full of garbage of course.

Wife is pissed at the $120 or so a month and called them to cancel.  She is the prime TV watcher and has a Roku now.

Seems they now have a "sort of" ala carte option, $35/mo and four chosen channels.  Give up the DVR in the cable box, had not used that since the NFL when liberal
Wife chose PBS and some other stuff, like Fx in case they do something good again like Deadwood or Justified.

Anyone tried this new(er) arrangement?  I am suspicious they will sneak in more add-on costs.
Just be careful. I don’t know your specifics but we started streaming and exceeded our data limit on out Internet plan. We ended up streaming so much we found it was cheaper going to an unlimited data plan. But that still got too expensive. We went to Dish for our TV and the smallest data plan our cable company has and we pay under $100/mo now for everything.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

robtmc

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »
We have Hawaii Telco's slowest DSL link, and no limit that I have ever heard of.  Seems to be fast enough for wife's streaming needs.   Ony $25 a month.

I am mostly curious of this new ala carte Spectrum thing, and how the box they give you is.