e-anything is not "green" (Read 1734 times)

ren

e-anything is not "green"
« on: April 12, 2021, 06:30:04 PM »
opening a Lyft ebike pack...look at all that nickel and plastic that was taken out. Not to mention the defective BMS

Harvested 18650 cells after removing all the nickel and plastic. a 14S5P pack sans BMS (70 cells) for my ebike

Took over 2 hours to harvest the 18650 cells from 2 Lyft packs.  Not green at all. What to do with all that plastic and metal?
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

Re: e-anything is not "green"
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 06:33:42 PM »
They look green to me
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:35:13 PM »
But seriously....
How many were really bad?
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:38:59 PM »
But seriously....
How many were really bad?

None of those were. Those were packs I bought because the BMS was defective and the cells are still good. My current ebike pack is wearing out and I'm building a bigger capacity one - old one was 11 AH new one is 17AH. I also have an older ebike pack that lags that I need to dispose of with about 60 cells.
Deeds Not Words

omnigun

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:53:57 PM »
Redwood materials is recycling all those batteries and using up to 95% of it again. 

ren

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 11:30:57 AM »
some people talk a lot about going 'green'...some people do
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 11:31:36 AM »
HI shutting down the coal plant that produces 20% of our electricty due to law that passed. Effective 2022.

ren

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 11:37:36 AM »
looked into a Tesla Model S and theres little a DIY mechanic can do with repairs. From what I read most of their electronic components are heavily integrated into a proprietary network. Replacing the factory stereo would be an arduous project.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »
looked into a Tesla Model S and theres little a DIY mechanic can do with repairs. From what I read most of their electronic components are heavily integrated into a proprietary network. Replacing the factory stereo would be an arduous project.

There's a vid of a guy swapping camera's from 2 unboxed iphones that are the same model and you can't just swap them.  They made it so an apple tech has to do it.

ren

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 12:15:48 PM »
There's a vid of a guy swapping camera's from 2 unboxed iphones that are the same model and you can't just swap them.  They made it so an apple tech has to do it.

Apple techs are just as useless/clueless as State IT. Had an experience with a "tech" and he explained lithium ion batteries to me. That was funny. He had no clue about CC-CV cycles. I told him you're telling customers to kill their batteries by having them run down the battery and charge them to full.
Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »
I swapped the battery on my iphone. Was getting ready to switch to an old flipper but the most recent job required me to have a smartphone. The process was easy with some magnifying glasses and small tools until i got to the part where I had to peel the battery out and it broke apart and started sparking and smoking. Just ripped it out as fast as I could and put it on a plate outside. Glad I did not buy a new one. Made sure the e-bike I bought works without a battery as well in case they become unavailable or too expensive.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 03:32:03 PM »
makes no sense...this is not green on may levels above my ebike pack
http://www.ililani.media/2021/04/heco-proposes-large-petroleum-powered.html
Deeds Not Words

Glasser

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 03:40:26 PM »
HI shutting down the coal plant that produces 20% of our electricty due to law that passed. Effective 2022.

AES produces a LOT more than 20% of our electric last I knew ( I was recently told it was almost up to 40), it was touted as being one of the cleanest burning coal plants in the entire US when they first lit it, one of the reasons is they had bought massive futures in super clean coal from a mine in Thailand.

You notice no one is in a rush to turn off H-Power, which burns pure filth and is basically an open infected sore when you walk around in the plant.  AES is as clean as a hospital in comparison.

There will be CA brown outs coming our way. Enjoy.

groveler

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:48 PM »
That only affects Oahu.
I think Honolulu has already killed all the other island's coal plants,
Thanks Honolulu guys.
If shit would quit breaking around my place, I have 10.6 kW of panels ready to go.
Still working on the battery order so I can go off- grid and flip the Honolulu
government off forever.
Take a look at California, that is your
power future.
Rolling blackouts.  Have to keep the rich
Progressives happy.

groveler

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 04:23:37 PM »
opening a Lyft ebike pack...look at all that nickel and plastic that was taken out. Not to mention the defective BMS

Harvested 18650 cells after removing all the nickel and plastic. a 14S5P pack sans BMS (70 cells) for my ebike

Took over 2 hours to harvest the 18650 cells from 2 Lyft packs.  Not green at all. What to do with all that plastic and metal?
What most people don't realize is that Lithium batteries need a computer(BMS) to charge them without
starting irritating things like fires.
One EMP event, solar or man made and your battery pack may be history.
Keep in mind very little of the really good stuff in a Lithium battery can be recovered
by the Chinese recyclers.  USA EPA won't allow it to be done here.
Those pesky Democrat Bureaucrats!
Enjoy your "Green" lifestyle while you can afford it.
At least I have a mule. He is pretty green.
About a thirty year lifespan.

hvybarrels

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »
Bro I want a mule! Where did you get him?
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

groveler

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 06:15:33 PM »
Bro I want a mule! Where did you get him?
I live on the BI. My neighbors and friends are
professional ranchers and cowboys. 

I did say "green" mule.
Horse guys don't want to mess with him.
I have a mule skinner working on him to
get him somewhat easy to ride. The mule's sire
was a quarter horse.
To give you an idea his name is "Taz"
after the cartoon character.

Aloha.

hvybarrels

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 07:11:36 PM »
I thought you meant "green" like his waste product is fertilizer. I am not set up for a mule yet but it has been on my mind ever since seeing the NOPD using them for crowd control during Mardi Gras. Forgot the part about training them though.