if we all drove smaller cars we wouldn't be in this mess (Read 10123 times)

ren

if we all drove smaller cars we wouldn't be in this mess
« on: May 15, 2021, 07:26:16 AM »
We wouldn't have this stupid rail. We wouldn't have climate change....
Deeds Not Words

omnigun

Re: if we all drove smaller cars we wouldn't be in this mess
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 08:01:18 AM »
Rail is good, how its been done, not so much.  I do agree we don't need giant cars. 

aletheuo137

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 08:09:02 AM »
We wouldn't have this stupid rail. We wouldn't have climate change....
Nah, you should just stay home and wait for your government check

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

QUIETShooter

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:52:47 AM »
Rail was never about relieving traffic and convenience for commuters.  It was about creating union jobs and lining of pockets for contractors, union officials, and politicians.

And for one politician it was a catalyst to further his political career.  And it blew up in his face.  Ha ha.  Poor thing. :rofl:  :rofl:

In my opinion there were other options less expensive.  Elevated via ducts dedicated for bus lanes.  Extra lanes on those ducts for cars that pay monthly tolls.

But the powers to be chose rail.  And an obsolete "steel wheels" design that is guaranteed to be costly to maintain.

Because it is destined to go nowhere significant (UH for example) only the homeless and panhandlers asking for spare change to riders will be riding this fiasco.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

ren

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:01:43 AM »
I've been seeing a few of those Asian small trucks on the road. Take up way less space on a lane; width and length. Probably get better MPG than western trucks. Most people own trucks now but when you think about how inefficient it is to have a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds to transport a person that weighs on average 150lbs. In other Asian countries where population is dense they have smaller vehicles i.e. Singapore.

Deeds Not Words

QUIETShooter

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 09:14:22 AM »
When I visited Japan in 2007 I was amazed how teeny their vehicles were.  Looked like soda cans.....

I noticed that certain vehicles had different license plates than other vehicles.  I learned that, depending on the license, you can or cannot drive on certain roads.  The smaller vehicles were forbidden on highways and freeways because their engines and HP were too small.

Their licenses only relegated them to traveling within the confines of the village or prefecture.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 12:05:59 PM »
I parked next to a Smart Car at Costco yesterday.  How many trips would it take to get a buggy full of Costco goods home?

As for Japan, they have a large range of vehicle license plate classes.  The Yellow plates were common -- smallest engine size (<660 cc) that was authorized for highway travel.  They are normally required to be in the "slow" lane.  There are roads in the mountain areas that prohibit these cars due to their weak engines.

The US Military for the most part have "Y" plates (white) or "A" plates (yellow).  Many of the smaller engine vehicles are used exclusively on base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Japan
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 12:36:55 PM »
I parked next to a Smart Car at Costco yesterday.  How many trips would it take to get a buggy full of Costco goods home?

As for Japan, they have a large range of vehicle license plate classes.  The Yellow plates were common -- smallest engine size (<660 cc) that was authorized for highway travel.  They are normally required to be in the "slow" lane.  There are roads in the mountain areas that prohibit these cars due to their weak engines.

The US Military for the most part have "Y" plates (white) or "A" plates (yellow).  Many of the smaller engine vehicles are used exclusively on base.

my hybrid get better MPG than a "Smart" car.
Deeds Not Words

groveler

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 05:25:36 PM »

Due to my somewaht mis-spent youth,
I laugh at these cars,  it is popular in the SF bay area to roll them over and
leave them up-side down in the exact same parking spot.
When I was a kid we only put VW bugs inside the high school.

groveler

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 05:33:43 PM »
I've been seeing a few of those Asian small trucks on the road. Take up way less space on a lane; width and length. Probably get better MPG than western trucks. Most people own trucks now but when you think about how inefficient it is to have a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds to transport a person that weighs on average 150lbs. In other Asian countries where population is dense they have smaller vehicles i.e. Singapore.

Daihatsu?
We used to have these for running around the taxiways and parking ramps at Boeing field.
They were not Democrat DOT street legal.

hvybarrels

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 07:25:08 PM »
There are plenty of Kei truck importers now. In a couple years we will be able to get the newer designs that have a little more cabin room and better approach angle for 4wd
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 08:50:15 PM »
https://restofworld.org/2021/tesla-vs-tiny-cars/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Their fundamental attraction is their price — between $600 and $2,500 — and that drivers can charge them the same way they would a cell phone.
Deeds Not Words

Glasser

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 03:21:05 PM »
Kind of surprised they allow those itty bitty Japanese vehicles to be imported into the US. They dont come anywhere near meeting US impact / collision standards. Used to be you couldnt even bring in EU Mercedes Benz passenger vehicles without adding  kits that retrofit extra bracing in the doors to keep you from being killed in a T-bone collision. Americans love to sue over auto accidents, in Japan I dont even think you can.

In the late 70s my Mom had a VW Diesel Rabbit. That thing got 45 city / 50 + hwy MPG, way better than any 'green car' gets now.  But coal rollers are some how 'evil'

Why not go even smaller and get a Cushman? You used to be able to pick em up cheap at HPD auctions back in the day.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:29:46 PM by Glasser »

groveler

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 04:15:57 PM »
Kind of surprised they allow those itty bitty Japanese vehicles to be imported into the US. They dont come anywhere near meeting US impact / collision standards. Used to be you couldnt even bring in EU Mercedes Benz passenger vehicles without adding  kits that retrofit extra bracing in the doors to keep you from being killed in a T-bone collision. Americans love to sue over auto accidents, in Japan I dont even think you can.

In the late 70s my Mom had a VW Diesel Rabbit. That thing got 45 city / 50 + hwy MPG, way better than any 'green car' gets now.  But coal rollers are some how 'evil'

Why not go even smaller and get a Cushman? You used to be able to pick em up cheap at HPD auctions back in the day.

My understanding is that you can sue in Japan.
However the loser pays all the legal and court expenses.
I think the Commandment,
"thou shall not bear false witness" applies there.
Democrats in our America obliterated that concept years ago.

Glasser

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 05:02:00 PM »
My understanding is that you can sue in Japan.
However the loser pays all the legal and court expenses.
I think the Commandment,
"thou shall not bear false witness" applies there.
Democrats in our America obliterated that concept years ago.

I just remember doing a construction project in Tokyo and watching them do super crazy stuff, like flying in huge heavy loads via crane and gantry over busy sidewalks without traffic control, cones, warning signs or any form of safety for pedestrians. I asked the general contractor 'really?' He said 'This is Japan, if you are stupid enough to walk under it and get squished if it falls,  its your own fault', I asked about lawsuits he said again 'This is Japan, you can't sue'.

I am guessing its way different than the US where you can sue because being born stupid somehow makes you a victim that should get cash and prizes. Tidepods shouldn't be so delicious.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 06:55:42 PM »
Taiwan police have fleets of mopeds.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »
Taiwan police have fleets of mopeds.

Can you imagine some HPD cops of the large polynesian variety on a moped?
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 07:37:00 PM »

Your post drummed up visions of a Circus where a large bear with a birthday hat is balancing on a unicycle.  :rofl: :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 08:35:57 PM »
In all my trips to taiwan, only seen 1 fat chick. And she worked at a bakery.

Mopeds even had blue and red lights on them too.

Glasser

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 07:55:18 AM »
Ford unveils its $40,000 F-150 Lightning electric pick-up truck with a 300-mile range

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-9598583/Ford-unveils-40-000-F-150-Lightning-electric-pick-truck.html