Baltimore Bridge Collapse (Read 1155 times)

hvybarrels

Baltimore Bridge Collapse
« on: March 25, 2024, 10:58:31 PM »
It seems like every day there's a new chapter of Revelations happening.

Truly horrifying.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/watch-huge-bridge-baltimore-collapses-after-container-ship-strike
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

drck1000

Re: Baltimore Bridge Collapse
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 08:23:24 AM »
Governor Wes Moore released a statement on the collapse, declaring a State of Emergency in Maryland:

"My office is in close communication with US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott, Baltimore County Executive Johnny Olszewski, and the Baltimore Fire Department as emergency personnel are on the scene following the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I have declared a State of Emergency here in Maryland and we are working with an interagency team to quickly deploy federal resources from the Biden Administration. We are thankful for the brave men and women who are carrying out efforts to rescue those involved and pray for everyone's safety. We will remain in close contact with federal, state, and local entities that are carrying out rescue efforts as we continue to assess and respond to this tragedy."

Oh, they are in great hands then. . .

The FSK bridge opened in 1977.  From the photos, the supports away from the primary pass through don't look "armored".  Don't know the bridge standards back then, but believe (been over 10 years since I worked on a bridge project) current codes require significant protection from vessel strikes.  That said, that container ship looked massive!

Tragic accident and looks like loss of life.  Also huge impacts to commerce.  Just shows how fragile and vulnerable the nation's infrastructure is.  Like when the truck hit the Aiea overpass and essentially shut down all of Oahu. . .

groveler

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 07:06:30 PM »
Oh, they are in great hands then. . .

The FSK bridge opened in 1977.  From the photos, the supports away from the primary pass through don't look "armored".  Don't know the bridge standards back then, but believe (been over 10 years since I worked on a bridge project) current codes require significant protection from vessel strikes.  That said, that container ship looked massive!

Tragic accident and looks like loss of life.  Also huge impacts to commerce.  Just shows how fragile and vulnerable the nation's infrastructure is.  Like when the truck hit the Aiea overpass and essentially shut down all of Oahu. . .
Y'all are a Civil engineer?
Even a engineer like me was forced to take physics as part of our education.
Y'all don't quickly stop a 100,000 ton DWT ship moving at 12 kts without some damage to something.
Bridges aren't designed to be hit by heavy ships, and buildings are not designed to be hit by fully loaded
widebody air craft

mrgaf

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 07:16:12 PM »
Y'all don't quickly stop a 100,000 ton DWT ship moving at 12 kts without some damage to something.
Bridges aren't designed to be hit by heavy ships, and buildings are not designed to be hit by fully loaded
widebody air craft

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :worship:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 07:23:59 PM »
widebody air craft
Never…

https://store.accuristech.com/standards/aashto-gvcb-2-m?product_id=1613626

ren

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 07:32:17 PM »
oh damn. engineers battling it out with references to academic textbooks  :popcorn:  so what model abacus are all y'all use when designing these bridges?
Deeds Not Words

groveler

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 07:40:02 AM »
oh damn. engineers battling it out with references to academic textbooks  :popcorn:  so what model abacus are all y'all use when designing these bridges?
Y'all know a  slide rule , pencil and paper was used to design the rocket that put men on the moon.
An Abacus could have computed their salary.
What do you do if you have no power to run  your computer?
Us old guys know how.
To be honest my slide rule is broke, I no longer have an Abacus,
and I own 7 computers.  But hey I'm a computer scientist, software
engineer, and electronics engineer - retired.
 :geekdanc:
PS I'm also a Journeyman shipwright

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 08:04:17 AM »
biden's response to this tragedy irritated me.  Not one pip about investigating and holding those responsible accountable and thereby responsible for it's re-build.  Not one pip about prioritizing the insurance process.

But quick to state about the Federal Government will do whatever it takes to get the bridge up and running.  Translation:  Federal money.  Tax money.  Our money.

By the way, it's an election year........ ::)

Time and time again, biden has shown (me at least) why it seems like he's not in charge of the nation.  Just an old man figurehead that needs to be clarified every now and then when he talks crazy.  I don't see him as our leader.  More like a talking head for the man, men, woman, wife, or diversity monstrosity that is behind the proverbial political curtain.

His handlers need to "walk back" his statements time and time again.

Yes, I believe the Federal Government needs to be involved in the re-build.  But his cavalier attitude toward Federal Funds shows the lights are out and nobody's home up there.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 08:21:44 AM »
So, a Singapore Flagged cargo ship slams into a bridge on the mainland, and Biden promises federal aid to rebuild.

Meanwhile, where is Biden with aid for Maui fire victims?

i guess Hawaii doesn't matter, since the state is deep blue. No need to pander.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 08:24:05 AM »
biden's response to this tragedy irritated me.  Not one pip about investigating and holding those responsible accountable and thereby responsible for it's re-build.  Not one pip about prioritizing the insurance process.

But quick to state about the Federal Government will do whatever it takes to get the bridge up and running.  Translation:  Federal money.  Tax money.  Our money.

Time and time again, biden has shown (me at least) why it seems like he's not in charge of the nation.  Just an old man figurehead that needs to be clarified every now and then when he talks crazy.  I don't see him as our leader.  More like a talking head for the man, men, woman, wife, or diversity monstrosity that is behind the proverbial political curtain.

Yes, I believe the Federal Government needs to be involved in the re-build.  But his cavalier attitude toward Federal Funds shows the lights are out and nobody's home up there.
All talk. . . definition of propaganda, at least from what you described above. . .

I've been seeing Weekend in Bernie's being on tv here and there lately  :rofl:

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 05:10:29 PM »

Our leader says that we will be responsible for building the bridge. No mention of financially holding the boat owner/company responisble.

This was an attack, the media is hiding it.

hvybarrels

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 05:15:29 PM »
Our leader says that we will be responsible for building the bridge. No mention of financially holding the boat owner/company responisble.

This was an attack, the media is hiding it.

They said it wasn’t an attack just hours after it happened.

So yeah it was probably an attack
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

QUIETShooter

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 09:15:09 PM »
You know, I've been saying this more and more nowadays than ever before:

Nothing surprises me anymore. 

If it was an attack I wouldn't hold my hands to my mouth with wide eyes and exclaim OMG!!! :rofl:

There's a video out there on the internet talking about a "Black Swan event".  In the Maritime industry so much emphasis and discipline is placed on safety that something like this cannot just be taken as an accident.

It means this event should not have happened if strict Maritime protocols were in place.

Thus it is declared a Black Swan event and it needs to be investigated.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 07:14:55 AM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 07:47:29 AM »
"black box" info missing for 2 mins prior to the collision. No harbor pilot, which is common, but not 100% of the time used. High tide is needed for the ship to be able to maneuver in the way it did to hit the post. 

nUtHiN tO sEE hERe.

hvybarrels

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 11:28:59 AM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2024/03/lara-logan-francis-scott-key-bridge-collapse-everyone/

"...this is a brilliant, well-planned strategic attack on one of the most important supply chains in the United States of America"

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 11:46:38 AM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2024/03/lara-logan-francis-scott-key-bridge-collapse-everyone/

"...this is a brilliant, well-planned strategic attack on one of the most important supply chains in the United States of America"

I tend to lean toward the ship's lights going off and on as an attempt to shutdown and restart the shipboard systems that control the engines.  if they were trying to be "covert," they would have dimmed the lights much, much earlier -- not when they were obviously way too close to the bridge.

There's a theory being presented that there might have been a problem with the fuel -- water in it or something.  That in itself might  help clear the ship's captain of suspicion, but it doesn't mean IF it was the fuel that it was not deliberate.
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 12:02:25 PM »
The cyber attack theory is that the first power outage was to wipe the system and gain control.

After that the power returns, lights go back on, black smoke comes pouring out, and for some reason the rudder goes hard to starboard

Power goes off again and the shift drifts into the deadly trajectory. By the time backup systems are restored there is nothing the crew can do about it.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2024, 03:11:25 PM »
The cyber attack theory is that the first power outage was to wipe the system and gain control.

After that the power returns, lights go back on, black smoke comes pouring out, and for some reason the rudder goes hard to starboard

Power goes off again and the shift drifts into the deadly trajectory. By the time backup systems are restored there is nothing the crew can do about it.

Is that reality or conjecture?
-- Melvin Udall

Jaco808

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 05:21:40 PM »
I'm amazed at conspiracy theorists and the ridiculous fake news they come up with.