Micro Roni Legal in Hawaii? (Read 12260 times)

Mr. Hyde

Micro Roni Legal in Hawaii?
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:18:46 AM »
Aloha 2aHawaii Community,
    Not too sure if this was already covered in a previous discussion but I was wondering if the Micro Roni with the arm stabilizer is legal in Hawaii?

ren

Re: Micro Roni Legal in Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:20:19 AM »
I thought about it that too.
I think it would turn a pistol into an SBR. There's no logic in the laws - I'm not an attorney so I can't give a legal definition only the State can - err I  mean can't unless you are an official :wacko: Who pays their salaries again?
Deeds Not Words

2ahavvaii

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »
my .02, but i would think it's legal.

It's illegal to take a rifle, chop down the barrel, remove the stock to turn it into a pistol.  But it is not illegal to take a pistol, and add a bunch of stuff onto it (with the exception of a supressor).

This is the reason why when you register a firearm with the option to be a pistol or rifle, you should choose pistol (like the thompson center encore).  Because if you register as a rifle, and do the pistol conversion, technically you can run afoul of local PD and the ATF.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:43:01 PM by 2ahavvaii »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:03:51 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
The arm brace isn't the issue I would be looking at in my opinion. Rather having an accessory on the front rail is where you run into the danger of being illegal because it becomes a sort of shroud which lets you grab the gun with a second hand around the barrel area.

If you wanted to be totally safe you could bring it to HPD by itself and ask if it would be legal.  Security equipment sells the 16" version but IIRC told me they can't bring in the micro one because it would be illegal.

rklapp

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »
They sell one like it at SEC and some HPD/HFD types (carrying radios) were drooling over it. There was a blue dummy pistol inside of it. Someone was trying to decide what reddot to install on it.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

suka

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
It would be ILLEGAL............

Centerfire with a total length over 12"
Over 50oz.
Shroud over the barrel.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
I asked a similar question a while back about chassis systems for pistols in hawaii but I never got a reply. Go ahead and check with HPD and let us know because ive been wanting to put my handgun in one of those things, although something tells me it wont fly as suka mentioned

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 11:19:27 PM »
It would be ILLEGAL............

Centerfire with a total length over 12"
Over 50oz.
Shroud over the barrel.

Well, there's a MIRCO RONI RECON model that's CA legal.  It doesn't have the stabilizer brace and only weighs 16.6 oz.  A G17 Gen4 weighs 25.06 oz unloaded.  That's 41.66 oz together ( < 50).  A loaded G17 is 32.12.  Add the RONI, and it's 48.18 oz.

https://usa.caagearup.com/micro-roni-recon-17-2

-- Melvin Udall

suka

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
Threaded barrel
Barrel Shroud

ILLEGAL

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »
Threaded barrel
Barrel Shroud

ILLEGAL

You'd have to have TWO disqualifying characteristics to make it illegal.

The barrel isn't threaded unless your Glock barrel is.  The RONI doesn't include a barrel.  Any suppressor attaches to the Glock barrel and feeds through the front of the RONI.

No threaded barrel  = LEGAL
-- Melvin Udall

suka

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
over 12"?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
over 12"?

Just glue the magazine into the pistol. Problem solved!   :thumbsup: :rofl:
-- Melvin Udall

mrgaf

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
They sell one like it at SEC and some HPD/HFD types (carrying radios) were drooling over it. There was a blue dummy pistol inside of it. Someone was trying to decide what reddot to install on it.

Hmmmm id I had a gun shop here I would not allow HPD my store....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

ren

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »

But they are customers
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 04:39:35 PM »
I was in Young Guns last year when someone entered the store saying "this is a hold up!" I looked and two uniformed HPD walked in. I said something snarky cause that's what I do. Something like "is this a raid?" Apparently, they had so many permits to deliver to the store that they decided to hand deliver them and check out their inventory.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
Threaded barrel
Barrel Shroud

ILLEGAL

I don't think this product qualifies as a "barrel shroud".  The RONI RECON version is California compliant, and their rules are very similar -- they require just ONE characteristic for an assault pistol:

Pistols:

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the fol­lowing:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
  (B) A second handgrip.
  (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
  (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »
Ricea roni is essentially a modernized version of this, except more scary in the hands of a permit holder than this was in the hands of nazis

mrgaf

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
I was in Young Guns last year when someone entered the store saying "this is a hold up!" I looked and two uniformed HPD walked in. I said something snarky cause that's what I do. Something like "is this a raid?" Apparently, they had so many permits to deliver to the store that they decided to hand deliver them and check out their inventory.

Hahaha wonder what would have happened in a CCW state if they pulled that stunt?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

ren

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »

Not cool.
Deeds Not Words