Looks like CMP 1911s finally happening (Read 18706 times)

ren

Re: Looks like CMP 1911s finally happening
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:02 PM »
A good number of GIs returning home kept their 1911s.

Another bunch were lost in battle or taken by the enemies.

those were the good old days...when cats were cats and dogs were dogs....
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 09:16:24 PM »
those were the good old days...when cats were cats and dogs were dogs....

Just making a point that production numbers are a good starting point, but we can't assume all 1911's produced are accounted for.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »
Just making a point that production numbers are a good starting point, but we can't assume all 1911's produced are accounted for.

I wish I lived in an age where I could have taken home my M9. Oh damn. I forgot a senior officer procured it from me. :rofl: and there it remained in the safety of the FOB for the entire deployment.
I was just making a reference that if soldiers did that today they'd be in jail and it was in a better time for the 2A.
Today's anti-2As' heads would be exploding and call it "fake history".
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 09:29:33 PM »
My uncle brought back a Remington-Rand (at least I think that’s what it is) 1911 from when he was in Vietnam. He stated his intent to leave it to me. He’s shown it to me a few times and it definitely seen some use.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license.  BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer.  Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

So idiotic

2ahavvaii

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
CMP will have an all-new 1911 order form, 1911 purchasing instructions, a 1911 page on our web site, a dedicated 1911 FFL fax number and email address for the FFL holder to send their FFL with customer's name attached. The customer will have to send in a complete new order packet with all new qualifying criteria included.

Everyone will be a new customer, everyone starts with no advantage or disadvantage. CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has to have its own record keeping operation with no ties to the old CMP records.

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.  CMP will price at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting:  1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01, 02, 07 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.  These are "store front" FFLs.

A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the "store front" FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.

The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check, in which the information is provided by the FFL holder to NICS, before the pistol can be transferred.  This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.

Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.

No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.  All 1911 orders will come in via USPS, UPS, Fed EX, etc.

CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.

Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery, USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.

Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.

Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.

The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.

Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.

When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one 1911 type pistol.

As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grades and pricing options will be available.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license.  BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer.  Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one the information provided by CMP to NICS and the second the information will be provided to NICS by the FFL dealer in which the pistol is shipped.

Ordering Information: CMP will have an all-new 1911 order form, 1911 purchasing instructions, a 1911 page on our web site, a dedicated 1911 FFL fax number and email address for the FFL holder to send their FFL with customer name attached. The customer will have to send in a complete new order packet with all new qualifying criteria included. Everyone will be a new customer, everyone starts with no advantage or disadvantage. CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has to have its own record keeping operation with no ties to the old CMP records.

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands.  The CMP's enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
NDAA 2018 signed by President Trump.

1911s are a go!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 01:21:30 PM »
deadline is tuesday.  A bit expensive.  I think you can probably buy 2 current production 1911s for the price of a servie grade.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »
deadline is tuesday.  A bit expensive.  I think you can probably buy 2 current production 1911s for the price of a servie grade.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled.

Not really a "deadline."  More like a "No earlier than" date.

-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
^

Sorry if I didn't elaborate.  Theyr'e technically accepting orders from 9/4 - 10/4, but the expectation is that they'll get the 8,000 they're looking for immediately.  So if you don't get your order form out on 9/4 in the mail, you may as well not even bother submitting one.  So technically, it's a "no earlier than" date.  But it's also realistically the deadline.

And 8000 is the high mark, there will be pistols that are auction grade and ones that will fail to meet rack grade.

EDIT:  It appears I was wrong.  Previously they've stated they'll only take the first 8,000 applications, then cut it off.  But the application doesn't seem to make mention of it, so I think you have the entire period of time to sumbit, after which they'll do the lottery. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:28:26 PM by 2ahavvaii »

changemyoil66

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »
I dont know much about 1911's.  But why not spend $950 on a brand new SIG 1911?

Is it because these will have the US Government stamp on them?

2ahavvaii

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
the attraction is that wwii 1911s are collectible, a part of us history.  kinda like the garand, m1 carbines, 1903, etc.

To be honest, if i get one, I probably won't even shoot it for quite a while... 45acp is not a caliber I use.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
I dont know much about 1911's.  But why not spend $950 on a brand new SIG 1911?

Is it because these will have the US Government stamp on them?

Normally, CMP offers gov't issued weapons at a discount -- below market resale prices.  This time, they are jacking up the prices to basically gouge collectors.  They may also be doing this to be politically correct -- keeping them "off the streets", out of the hands of criminals looking for cheap handguns.

If you want a 1911 to use, get a new or used 1911 elsewhere.  If you want a piece of history -- a 1911 that may have been carried in war -- get a CMP surplus 1911.  Many former military who carried these will be attracted to them and looking to buy.
-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »
Normally, CMP offers gov't issued weapons at a discount -- below market resale prices.  This time, they are jacking up the prices to basically gouge collectors.  They may also be doing this to be politically correct -- keeping them "off the streets", out of the hands of criminals looking for cheap handguns.

If you want a 1911 to use, get a new or used 1911 elsewhere.  If you want a piece of history -- a 1911 that may have been carried in war -- get a CMP surplus 1911.  Many former military who carried these will be attracted to them and looking to buy.

the "keeping off the streets" was the lamest liberal excuse ever.  there's no common thug that's going to buy a $1000 relic to commit their petty crimes.  They'll go with the cheapest illegal pocket 9mm they can with the serial ground off.

changemyoil66

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »
the "keeping off the streets" was the lamest liberal excuse ever.  there's no common thug that's going to buy a $1000 relic to commit their petty crimes.  They'll go with the cheapest illegal pocket 9mm they can with the serial ground off.

Hence the Hi-Point.

Can the serial numbers be traced to see where the pistol has been?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2018, 02:32:57 PM »

The parts of the process that turned me off of supporting this offering are:

(1)  TWO NICS background checks -- one just to be placed on the list & one at transfer time once you are approved, and

(2)  No C&R 03 FFL transfers are allowed for CMP 1911 purchases.

I realize it's Congress creating these hurdles. 

The C&R FFL restriction directly contradicts the purpose of the C&R license in the first place.  It's like paying for a liquor license only to be told you now have to get additional approval for each drink you pour.
-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
^

As a C&R holder, I agree.  the system itself is completely retarded.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
^

As a C&R holder, I agree.  the system itself is completely retarded.

In my mind, if they can't trust C&R FFL holders, then they need to review the licensing of collectors as a whole.  Forcing a C&R licensee to go through an FFL dealer serves no practical purpose.  It just adds cost, time and complications to the purchase.
-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
^

As does requiring a NICS background check before the order is finalized and the other after the order is finalized. 

And I imagine yet another check is done when you file paperwork with HPD for the permit....
----------------------------
I guess in your example, it would be like the bar checking your picture ID before every beer they serve you, then checking again after they serve it to you, then yet again when you go to pay your bill