Splitting the pelvic bone (Read 2356 times)

Brystont1

Splitting the pelvic bone
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:41:36 PM »
I was taught to always split the pelvic bone with a saw when cleaning an animal. Browning used to sell a 3 combo knife that had a gut hook, blade, and saw and it had a rubberized handle that was awesome. They sell one that’s similar but the handle is not rubber like the old one. I like the rubber because it’s provides grip when the hands are slick with blood while I’m sawing.

At the gun show there was a booth that was selling ravencrest (I think) knives and there was a combo knife, it wasn’t rubberized but it was very nice. I tried looking for it online but I can’t find it. I can’t seem to find any knife combos like that with rubber grips.

Does everyone split the pelvic bone when cleaning? I’ve heard of people being able to split the bone by sticking the tip of a blade in a certain area of the bone and hitting the handle of the blade and it splits. Anyone heard of that or have a better product to split the bone?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Splitting the pelvic bone
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 08:47:55 PM »
Here's a nifty little tool from Cabela's.   :wave:

No experience with it, just found it online.

https://tinyurl.com/vaa6hos

I've read of people carrying a battery powered Sawzall / reciprocating saw for pelvis splitting.  I imagine the saw also comes in quite handy for cutting kindling/branches, etc, as long as the battery has a charge.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Brystont1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 01:19:13 PM »
Here's a nifty little tool from Cabela's.   :wave:

No experience with it, just found it online.

https://tinyurl.com/vaa6hos

I've read of people carrying a battery powered Sawzall / reciprocating saw for pelvis splitting.  I imagine the saw also comes in quite handy for cutting kindling/branches, etc, as long as the battery has a charge.

:shaka:

808Hunta

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 04:12:54 PM »
Some like to split the pelvis to make it easier and sometimes cleaner when dressing game to remove the intestinal tract.  Doing that allows you to just pull everything out without having to pull the anus etc back through the animals cavity.

But you don't need to per se. Its a matter of preference or like you how others been taught.  I was taught to do it by my grandpa so l know how.  But l normally don't do it at all anymore.

Yes you can split the pelvis with a knife although it be easier to show you than try to explain lol. 

If you have any ? Pm me and ill try to explain.

Happy huntin'

Brystont1

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »
Some like to split the pelvis to make it easier and sometimes cleaner when dressing game to remove the intestinal tract.  Doing that allows you to just pull everything out without having to pull the anus etc back through the animals cavity.

But you don't need to per se. Its a matter of preference or like you how others been taught.  I was taught to do it by my grandpa so l know how.  But l normally don't do it at all anymore.

Yes you can split the pelvis with a knife although it be easier to show you than try to explain lol. 

If you have any ? Pm me and ill try to explain.

Happy huntin'

Right on mahalo  :shaka:

ethanjordan

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 04:59:50 AM »
I was taught to split the pelvic bone when field dressing a deer. I used to use a knife, or hatchet to split it. These days I've been using a sagen saw to cut throug it. It's small, light weight, and cuts the pelvic bone and sternum pretty quickly.