Stay at home, quarantine. Loads (Read 10303 times)

Kalen

Stay at home, quarantine. Loads
« on: September 16, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »
What are you currently loading? Let’s see your fun stay at home projects. Currently loading 9x19 parabellum! Resurrecting this old hobby, luckily stocked up with powders, bullets, brass and primers from 2017!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:23:56 PM by Kalen »

Inspector

Re: Stay at home, quarantine. Loads
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 02:45:05 PM »
What are you currently loading? Let’s see your fun stay at home projects. Currently loading 9x19 parabellum! Resurrecting this old hobby, luckily stocked up with powders, bullets, brass and primers from 2017!
The last two days I have been loading 45LC with 255gr LSWC PC boolits using Titegroup, Unique and Trail Boss powders. I am waiting until the Gun Show this Saturday to pick up some 300gr jacketed bullets so I can load up some .454 Casull. Saturday I loaded 9mm with 115gr LRN PC boolits and I tested them on Monday. And last Thursday and Friday I loaded up a mess of 45 Auto Rim with the same boolits as the 45LC.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Kalen

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
Nice! Those are some awesome cartridges to load. Powder goes fast, lol. I’m actually all most out of unique and titegroup.. but been bored so mostly loading 45 ACP, 223 and 9 since I have a ton of cfe pistol and cfe 223. Got a bunch of lil gun for the 300, imr 4227 and Varget. I think I actually enjoy the process more than the outcome, lol. Never hurts to have a stock pile.  :thumbsup:

Kalen

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 03:05:32 PM »
My current I’m bored project. Gonna try crank out 2k

stangzilla

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 03:08:19 PM »
I've had more time in the past several months to reload more than I usually do.
here's just a little of what I've been reloading

Montana Gold 45 acp

Hornady factory seconds 223

Sierra TMK 308

Hornady FTX 44 magnum

Kalen

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »
Nice looking loads. You single charge your cases? That looks painful, haha. I never really setup for match or moa. Bought a chrono back in the day but could never get around to use or set it up. I been trying to find those Sierra 168s I actually have a bunch of Hornady 150gn interlocks I been meaning to load. The 44 mags 240 gn pills?

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
Nice looking loads. You single charge your cases? That looks painful, haha. I never really setup for match or moa. Bought a chrono back in the day but could never get around to use or set it up. I been trying to find those Sierra 168s I actually have a bunch of Hornady 150gn interlocks I been meaning to load. The 44 mags 240 gn pills?

yup, single stage.  it's slow but I don't have much room for reloading at my house so I have to live with it, I've gotten used to it
I don't have a chrono either.  only the palm chrono.   ;)
44 mag FTX is 225 grains.  kind of an odd weight and the projectile is long, so OAL is a bit longer.  I think the bullet is made for lever action mostly, but it fits in the cylinder so it works.  but I wont be loading any more of that bullet.  i'll stick with the XTP in the future, I also have some sierra jhc and lead bullets I can use

macsak

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
yup, single stage.  it's slow but I don't have much room for reloading at my house so I have to live with it, I've gotten used to it
I don't have a chrono either.  only the palm chrono.   ;)
44 mag FTX is 225 grains.  kind of an odd weight and the projectile is long, so OAL is a bit longer.  I think the bullet is made for lever action mostly, but it fits in the cylinder so it works.  but I wont be loading any more of that bullet.  i'll stick with the XTP in the future, I also have some sierra jhc and lead bullets I can use

TWSS

Kalen

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »
I just finished up 700 rds of 223, got tired of loading rifle so switched to pistol. It’s so much easier loading pistol, no neck to look down each charge and I love how a 3/4 fill in the hopper can go along way at 5.3 gn’s lol. I did about 400 rds of 300 blk before the 223s. Actually just wanted to get rid of my 223bulkbullets stash that was collecting dust.

stangzilla

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »

Rocky

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 01:27:53 PM »
   Still loading  from the 70lb  of 116.5gr  9mm polymers  (29,700) I got awhile ago.  :rofl:
Did a couple K last week, only a couple K  polymers left, then I'll move on to FMJ's
 Using 4.2 gr TiteGroup, and Federal 100 primers but almost out of those so already switched to CCI 500's.
I'll keep the last Federal 100 primers for some HP 9mm  and HP.38  :geekdanc:

Slid in a couple hundred 168 gr SMK HPBT .308's depleting my old stock of "heads".
Began loading from new batch of 500 SMK HPBT .308's which shot  the same at 100 and 200, did not get chance to check 300, 400, and 450 yds.
Will do later this week.
Using 42 gr IMR 4064 and Federal Premium GM210M primers. 
All brass full sized, cut to length and de-burred weeks ago.

Like Stang, I single load the .308's
Size and de-prime, tumble, dry, check size (stash already de-burred) then prime a bunch, hand measure the powder and then to press to seat.
Pretty consistent groups, 100 yds is -half dollar usually on or touching.  ;D

When I run out of 9mm and .308 heads, I'll give 5.56 a whack.
Got several K heads and plenty of powder and Federal 205 primers

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:34:58 PM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Inspector

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 02:52:21 PM »
   Still loading  from the 70lb  of 116.5gr  9mm polymers  (29,700) I got awhile ago.  :rofl:
Did a couple K last week, only a couple K  polymers left, then I'll move on to FMJ's
 Using 4.2 gr TiteGroup, and Federal 100 primers but almost out of those so already switched to CCI 500's.
I'll keep the last Federal 100 primers for some HP 9mm  and HP.38  :geekdanc:

Hey, that’s MY load! Copycat!!!  :wave:

Slid in a couple hundred 168 gr SMK HPBT .308's depleting my old stock of "heads".
Began loading from new batch of 500 SMK HPBT .308's which shot  the same at 100 and 200, did not get chance to check 300, 400, and 450 yds.
Will do later this week.
Using 42 gr IMR 4064 and Federal Premium GM210M primers. 
All brass full sized, cut to length and de-burred weeks ago.

I rescued an old Spanish Mauser Carbine from 1916. I have not shot it yet. It was rechambered in 7.62 NATO. This is my first 7.62x51 I have ever owned and loaded for. I have not had the time to start loading for it yet but I have everything I need. I’m going to load both 168gr HPBT and 166gr LRN with gas check. I’ll probably reduce the lead boolit load. I couldn’t find new brass so I went to my usual once fired bass source and I bought all 100 pieces they had. And I found another 400 from another source. New and used brass for this round has been hard to find. I have IMR 4064, IMR 4895, Varget and H4895. I will probably load with 4064 to start with and reduce the loads with one of the 4895’s. Oh, and of course I’ll make a few rounds with Trail Boss just for a laugh.

Like Stang, I single load the .308's
Size and de-prime, tumble, dry, check size (stash already de-burred) then prime a bunch, hand measure the powder and then to press to seat.
Pretty consistent groups, 100 yds is -half dollar usually on or touching.  ;D

This Mauser is probably accurate to moment of gong at whatever range I shoot it at.  :rofl:

When I run out of 9mm and .308 heads, I'll give 5.56 a whack.
Got several K heads and plenty of powder and Federal 205 primers
I’ve been playing around with coated boolits in 9mm, 45AR and 357/38. So far not bad in the 9mm and excellent in the 357/38 and 45. I probably have enough powder/primers to last me at least 1.5-2 years I think. I have a few thousand 9mm and 357/38 but I only have about 1k 45. I have a shit ton of 223, 308, 310, 314 and 7mm. I still need to obtain more heads. But I just started casting my own today. I’m getting used making sure I maintain temperature. I intend to cast for everything I shoot except all 223 and some 308. So I guess powder coating is in my future next.

stangzilla

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 07:39:25 AM »
doing some cleaning at home and in the corner in a paper bag which I thought was Dremel stuff which I hardly ever use also had  a brick of 44mag primers and a few hundred 44mag brass that I forgot about for at least a few years   :geekdanc:
I must have forgot to put away in my reloading storage box
I should clean up more often   

Inspector

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 04:02:15 PM »
Today was Schmidt-Rubin reloading day. I loaded for my K31 7.5x55mm using H4895 and my 1889 7.5x54.5mm using IMR4198. I started by making a dummy round for the K31 and all was good. So I primed and charged cases and seated boolits and all was good. Then I started loading for my 1889. I primed my cases and then charged them all. I seated the first boolit and realized I had not made a dummy round to make sure the concept was still correct. So I made up a dummy round and tried to chamber it and WHOOPS! It wouldn’t go. So I made up 4 more and 2 out of 5 chambered fine. But 3 would not. And they would not by near an inch. Checked OAL and they were fine. The best I can figured is that I only neck size and I keep the K31 cases separate from the 1889 cases. But when I moved I must have mixed some up as the K31 cases form much larger than the 1889 cases due to chamber differences. So I fucked up. Emptied out 100 cases and full length sized them (plus an additional 25) removing the primer as I went along. I decided to use my ultrasonic cleaner to remove the sizing lube. They are currently drying.

If I had made the dummy round BEFORE I primed and charged the cases I may still not have found the issue as only 35 out of 125 total cases were the wrong ones. I got lucky on this one. Tomorrow is 1889 Schmidt-Rubin loading day and then I will continue my foray into casting my own boolits.

macsak

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
Today was Schmidt-Rubin reloading day. I loaded for my K31 7.5x55mm using H4895 and my 1889 7.5x54.5mm using IMR4198. I started by making a dummy round for the K31 and all was good. So I primed and charged cases and seated boolits and all was good. Then I started loading for my 1889. I primed my cases and then charged them all. I seated the first boolit and realized I had not made a dummy round to make sure the concept was still correct. So I made up a dummy round and tried to chamber it and WHOOPS! It wouldn’t go. So I made up 4 more and 2 out of 5 chambered fine. But 3 would not. And they would not by near an inch. Checked OAL and they were fine. The best I can figured is that I only neck size and I keep the K31 cases separate from the 1889 cases. But when I moved I must have mixed some up as the K31 cases form much larger than the 1889 cases due to chamber differences. So I fucked up. Emptied out 100 cases and full length sized them (plus an additional 25) removing the primer as I went along. I decided to use my ultrasonic cleaner to remove the sizing lube. They are currently drying.

If I had made the dummy round BEFORE I primed and charged the cases I may still not have found the issue as only 35 out of 125 total cases were the wrong ones. I got lucky on this one. Tomorrow is 1889 Schmidt-Rubin loading day and then I will continue my foray into casting my own boolits.

heads

macsak

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 05:04:33 PM »

Inspector

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
focus
:rofl: :rofl:

One thing I remember from a book I read many years ago. Is that talking to yourself is normal. Answering yourself means you are mentally unstable.

heads

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »
:rofl: :rofl:

One thing I remember from a book I read many years ago. Is that talking to yourself is normal. Answering yourself means you are mentally unstable.

My rule has always been, it's okay to talk to yourself, even to answer yourself when you ask a question.  it's when you start arguing with yourself that you need to see a doctor.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

wirecounter

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
My rule has always been, it's okay to talk to yourself, even to answer yourself when you ask a question.  it's when you start arguing with yourself that you need to see a doctor.

Only if you lose the argument . . .  :shake:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
Only if you lose the argument . . .  :shake:

Today, I'd like to talk to you about Schizophrenia.

No he doesn't!!

Shut up, and let him talk!!!

:crazy:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall