308 brass (Read 2839 times)

sa594

308 brass
« on: October 28, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
For those of you that reload 308 for a semi, what is the minimum case length that you find acceptable to use? Using the Frankford Arsenal universal trimmer I've had most of my brass come out in the  2.005-2.006 range but will get a couple that end up in the 2.002-2.003 range. Info appreciated, thanks....

Wchiro

Re: 308 brass
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 12:17:29 AM »
For those of you that reload 308 for a semi, what is the minimum case length that you find acceptable to use? Using the Frankford Arsenal universal trimmer I've had most of my brass come out in the  2.005-2.006 range but will get a couple that end up in the 2.002-2.003 range. Info appreciated, thanks....

My cases measure at about 2.005.  Get yourself a case gauge.  I have a Dillon .308 case gauge that i like because its stainless and wont rust with handling.  They shoot fine out of my M1A, Tanker Garand, and LWRC R.E.P.R.  I use military brass and I anneal the case neck.

sa594

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:39:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply... I'm using the Sheridan case gauge so no problems there, was curious to know how short a case people will still find acceptable to use. I've read some guys will use cases trimmed down to 1.998 which seems short to me but I'm still learning.

Inspector

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »
Sorry, I have not reloaded for this cartridge yet. I have everything to reload for it. Just got a rifle that fires it so I have not reloaded for it. My experience with other similar 30 caliber cartridges is that unless you are doing competitive type shooting, being slightly short on some cases won’t make much of a difference.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

sa594

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 10:55:57 PM »
Thanks Inspector...

Rocky

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »
Stick to the facts.  :thumbsup:
According to SAAMI,  2.015 Min to 2.020 Max
https://saami.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.4-CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf
page 122 is .308 WIN.
You should NEVER use an undersized casing.  :shake:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 08:40:25 AM »
Awesome timing!  Slowly getting geared up to start loading .308.  I have some components already and on the way.  Looking for others as well.

In the meantime, what are some brass recommendations or preferences.  OP - If this is getting too far off you topic, pls let me know and I'll start a new thread.

I have a bunch of FGMM brass (once fired from my rifle), and looking at picking up some Nosler and Lapua brass.  I can also get a good price on Starline brass as well. 

macsak

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 10:01:00 AM »
Awesome timing!  Slowly getting geared up to start loading .308.  I have some components already and on the way.  Looking for others as well.

In the meantime, what are some brass recommendations or preferences.  OP - If this is getting too far off you topic, pls let me know and I'll start a new thread.

I have a bunch of FGMM brass (once fired from my rifle), and looking at picking up some Nosler and Lapua brass.  I can also get a good price on Starline brass as well.

those three should be good
whatever is the best price, i would say...

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 10:33:05 AM »

Rumor has it . . . >:D
#1 Lapua
#2 Norma
Neither of which I have/used :rofl: :rofl:
Remember that different brass will have different recipes due to wall thickness and some of the thicker casings like Lapua or "Mil" brass may "need" less powder due to having less interior volume and depending on your load (bullet, powder, primer) and purpose.
Thicker cases will also give you more loads per casing.
Your rifle may prefer one over the other (or not like one).
The recipe for one rifle may not suit another due to chamber, barrel length, OACL and ogive

I've tried LC, Win, Fed Match, Hornady and few others but bottom line was finding the perfect round recipe for each particular rifle as each has it's own.
I've also found that  the right recipe with the proper ogive gave far better result and ogive had more to do with it than anything.
JMHO
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »
those three should be good
whatever is the best price, i would say...
Best price =/= currently available. . .  :(

I guess I'll have to shoot more of my FGMM stores to get the brass. . .  :P  :crazy:

Rumor has it . . . >:D
#1 Lapua
#2 Norma
Neither of which I have/used :rofl: :rofl:
Remember that different brass will have different recipes due to wall thickness and some of the thicker casings like Lapua or "Mil" brass may "need" less powder due to having less interior volume and depending on your load (bullet, powder, primer) and purpose.
Thicker cases will also give you more loads per casing.
Your rifle may prefer one over the other (or not like one).
The recipe for one rifle may not suit another due to chamber, barrel length, OACL and ogive

I've tried LC, Win, Fed Match, Hornady and few others but bottom line was finding the perfect round recipe for each particular rifle as each has it's own.
I've also found that  the right recipe with the proper ogive gave far better result and ogive had more to do with it than anything.
JMHO
Understand about the "recipes".  Like I've been telling my shooting friends who are going to help me get going, that's another rabbit hole with so many variable that I'm afraid I would get caught up with trying all sorts of combinations.  I just enjoy shooting and want to get "good enough", but with LR (or longER) range shooting, the "good enough" is much different than the training rounds.  At least until the classes get into those longer range conditions.  Which is something I actually discussed with "our friend".  Just bad timing right now. . .  :(

Rocky

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 05:37:34 PM »
Best price =/= currently available. . .  :(

I guess I'll have to shoot more of my FGMM stores to get the brass. . .  :P  :crazy:
Understand about the "recipes".  Like I've been telling my shooting friends who are going to help me get going, that's another rabbit hole with so many variable that I'm afraid I would get caught up with trying all sorts of combinations.  I just enjoy shooting and want to get "good enough", but with LR (or longER) range shooting, the "good enough" is much different than the training rounds.  At least until the classes get into those longer range conditions.  Which is something I actually discussed with "our friend".  Just bad timing right now. . .  :(
What kind of distance you looking for ?
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »
What kind of distance you looking for ?
What kinda distance you got?  ;)

I’m thinking 500+. Out to as much as 1200 ish. Need to visit my friends in AK that have a 1500 range open.

Inspector

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 02:42:19 AM »
Stick to the facts.  :thumbsup:
According to SAAMI,  2.015 Min to 2.020 Max
https://saami.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.4-CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf
page 122 is .308 WIN.
You should NEVER use an undersized casing.  :shake:
Facts? Facts? We don’t need no stinkin’ facts!  :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Rocky

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
What kinda distance you got?  ;)

I’m thinking 500+. Out to as much as 1200 ish. Need to visit my friends in AK that have a 1500 range open.
sorry, only got 450 yds right now
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 01:22:50 PM »
That’s good. I’m down for that. Size matters... at least relative to distance.

macsak

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 01:30:06 PM »
That’s good. I’m down for that. Size matters... at least relative to distance.

heads

macsak

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 01:30:38 PM »

tfti
 :wave:

Rocky

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »
tfti
 :wave:
Only inviting those who have firearms for me to shoot.  :rofl:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

macsak

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 01:42:13 PM »
Only inviting those who have firearms for me to shoot.  :rofl:

oh crap...

heads