Knives - What Are Your Preferences? (Read 126377 times)

drck1000

Re: Knives - What Are Your Preferences?
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2019, 12:41:57 PM »
got the Kizer Intrepid yesterday
came in a very nice box, with a cleaning cloth and a very nice knife storage pouch.  those are a nice touch.
3.6" S35VN steel .16" thick, 4.6" titanium handles with rounded smooth edges, manual ceramic bearing with flipper opening, frame lock, tip up right hand carry only
at first opening was smooth but not great, wiped it down and just shot some oil in the pivot and its much better.  opening is very smooth.  although I still prefer the assisted opening, this manual is still very good.  detent could be a little stronger but its still very good.
quality , fit and finish is very good.  maybe on par with my only ZT.  I only have 1 of each brand so that's not really a fair comparison, and both are really good quality.
overall I am really pleased with this Kizer blade. 

Awesome!   :thumbsup:

My Kizer came with the cleaning cloth, but not a storage pouch.  I think mine was a lower level line that yours though.  I don't need the storage pouch for the knife, but I am sure I could other uses for it. 

I have been looking at the Kizer Takefu.  It's discontinued, but I am a fan of the Hinderer design.  That one is a VG-10 steel, so that's good. 

The opening on the Kizer Barbosa was also pretty rough out of the box.  But a shot of lube and it smoothed out nicely.  I still like the opening of the ZTs that I have, but the Kizer is smooth enough. 

Looking forward on updates as you use this one. 

stangzilla

« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »
Awesome!   :thumbsup:

My Kizer came with the cleaning cloth, but not a storage pouch.  I think mine was a lower level line that yours though.  I don't need the storage pouch for the knife, but I am sure I could other uses for it. 

I have been looking at the Kizer Takefu.  It's discontinued, but I am a fan of the Hinderer design.  That one is a VG-10 steel, so that's good. 

The opening on the Kizer Barbosa was also pretty rough out of the box.  But a shot of lube and it smoothed out nicely.  I still like the opening of the ZTs that I have, but the Kizer is smooth enough. 

Looking forward on updates as you use this one.

this one came sharp but not shaving sharp, so I might just try sharpening it this weekend to see if I can get it shaving sharp first before using it

drck1000

« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
How To Carry Your Folding Knives...Tip Up Vs. Tip Down ?!?!?!

Tip up carry all the way.  On a quality knife without a flipper or assisted open feature, I never understood why folks are so concerned about the knife opening in their pocket.  Even with flipper open knives, the ones that I own have a good detent such that I haven't had one open in my pocket.  I've tried bumping on the flipper or otherwise try to open it, but the detent is such that I've found that one has to purposely apply pressure to the flipper tab in a downward angle (assuming folded blade is vertical).  With knives like Spyderco (without flipper), I don't see them opening accidentally in any realistic situation. 

drck1000

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2019, 12:41:07 PM »
Update

Kershaw Link (M390)

Broke down a bunch of boxes last week.  Both with the belly section of the blade to cut as well as the tip of the blade to score and fold.  I broke down probably over a dozen boxes and while it wasn't as sharp as out of the box, it was still able to shave some hair off my arm as well as still decently cut paper.  I broke down the boxes into smaller sections that I normally would to get more use out of the Link and some of the boxes were pretty heavy duty.  Anyways, will be cutting up more boxes today.  Will see how it does and whether or not I'll sharpen (which is the second test that I was really looking forward to).

Spyderco Amalgam

One of the biggest reasons I got this knife was to give the Spyderco thumb hole style knife a try.  I have a Benchmade knife with the thumb hole that I carried for a while, but I wanted to give Spyderco a try.  Since this was also a flipper knife, I sort of saw it as a "best of both worlds" knife to try.  I've gotten better at the "middle finger flick" as well as the "thumb throw" method of opening, but I've found that the flipper tab is better for me.  Maybe because I am used to it, but my hand also is in a more natural position for me to use the flipper than the thumb hole.  I've watched a bunch of videos from Michael Janich with Martial Blade Concepts videos and while I see that Spydercos are efficient opening with training, just not for me.  Prior to going to flippers, I used to train with the Benchmade axis lock knives were you can open one handed pretty easily by utilizing the pivot pin.  I have a Benchmade training knife that I used to practice with a lot, but I've also found that some knives can be a little challenging to get the pivot pin/screw just right. 

I haven't used the Amalgam to cut yet, but the S30V steel is one that I've been wanting to test. 

drck1000

« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2019, 01:00:46 PM »
Ways to Deploy Folding Knives You Might Not Know About!

"zits bullshit"   ;D

"zits good if you want to cut some paper or some bugs"  :rofl:

This video was somewhat entertaining and somewhat informative.  I liked his discussion about opening under stress and "playing with your knife" (training).  Never thought about opening with your freehand in the ways he did, and don't really see practical use as long as you are proficient with one handed opening. 

stangzilla

« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
Update

Kershaw Link (M390)

Broke down a bunch of boxes last week.  Both with the belly section of the blade to cut as well as the tip of the blade to score and fold.  I broke down probably over a dozen boxes and while it wasn't as sharp as out of the box, it was still able to shave some hair off my arm as well as still decently cut paper.  I broke down the boxes into smaller sections that I normally would to get more use out of the Link and some of the boxes were pretty heavy duty.  Anyways, will be cutting up more boxes today.  Will see how it does and whether or not I'll sharpen (which is the second test that I was really looking forward to).

Spyderco Amalgam

One of the biggest reasons I got this knife was to give the Spyderco thumb hole style knife a try.  I have a Benchmade knife with the thumb hole that I carried for a while, but I wanted to give Spyderco a try.  Since this was also a flipper knife, I sort of saw it as a "best of both worlds" knife to try.  I've gotten better at the "middle finger flick" as well as the "thumb throw" method of opening, but I've found that the flipper tab is better for me.  Maybe because I am used to it, but my hand also is in a more natural position for me to use the flipper than the thumb hole.  I've watched a bunch of videos from Michael Janich with Martial Blade Concepts videos and while I see that Spydercos are efficient opening with training, just not for me.  Prior to going to flippers, I used to train with the Benchmade axis lock knives were you can open one handed pretty easily by utilizing the pivot pin.  I have a Benchmade training knife that I used to practice with a lot, but I've also found that some knives can be a little challenging to get the pivot pin/screw just right. 

I haven't used the Amalgam to cut yet, but the S30V steel is one that I've been wanting to test.

I'm waiting for my m390 Link to arrive.  :D

I'm also partial to the flipper, although I dont mind a thumb stud or other opening systems if its primarily a utility knife

drck1000

« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »
I'm waiting for my m390 Link to arrive.  :D

I'm also partial to the flipper, although I dont mind a thumb stud or other opening systems if its primarily a utility knife
Didn’t you order it a while back?

I’ve been playing with the Amalgam more and the different opening methods for speed, grip, etc. Getting better at the thumb and finger opening, but still like the flipper best. Another aspect of Spyderco that I don’t care for is most don’t have a choil or “Spanish notch”.

drck1000

« Reply #307 on: February 18, 2019, 11:16:00 PM »
Cut up enough boxes to fill a blue recycle bin over the weened with the Kershaw Link. I broke them down into a minimum of 4 panels per box and usually even further. I usually down break them down that far, but I wanted to see how well the Link with m390 held up. I could tell it was losing the edge, but it got through all the boxes with ease.

Did some sharpeness tests when I got home. It could still cut through newspaper, but was hanging up quite a bit on most sections, so I decided to sharpen. I’ve hear horror stories of sharpening M390. After setting the angle in the WE, took me about 10 mins to pull a burr on both sides. Spent maybe another 10 mins to work through the various stones. Started with 400 and used all the way through 1000 and the strops. I was able to get it sharp enough to shave arm hair and go pretty smoothly through newspaper. Still not quite as sharp as most of the ZTs that I have out of the box, but definitely sharp enough for my uses. Think I got it sharper than it came out of the box.

So I’ll call it a success. I still want to be able to get them sharper and my buddies who have the WE said I’m still breaking the stones in since I’ve only sharpened maybe 4-5 knives.

I’ve also been testing a Benchmade D2.  It’s somewhat of a beater and tear knife. D2 is supposed to be one of the more difficult steels to sharpen, so I’ve been testing my sharpening on that. I’ve been using this one for breaking down boxes at home and it’s geen holding up well. I get maybe 2-3 boxes a week at home. Mostly thinner Amazon boxes, but occasionally thicker ones.

stangzilla

« Reply #308 on: February 19, 2019, 07:43:51 AM »
Didn’t you order it a while back?

I got the cheaper one with 420HC steel a while back.  the M390 one should be here soon   :shaka:

made this lanyard with a paracord and bead I had lying around.  the bead is titanium shaped like a revolver cylinder, so I like it.

drck1000

« Reply #309 on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:32 AM »
I got the cheaper one with 420HC steel a while back.  the M390 one should be here soon   :shaka:

made this lanyard with a paracord and bead I had lying around.  the bead is titanium shaped like a revolver cylinder, so I like it.

SNIP
Ahh, gotcha.  While M390 knives can be pricey, it's quickly becoming one of my favorite blade steels.  Next up on the test list are S30V and S35VN.  Ratings seem to have them slightly less on edge retention, but easier to sharpen.  They also seem to be offered on a wider range of knives and for not as much of a premium.

I was just reading up on lanyards and stuff.  I have a bunch of paracord around and might play around with that.  I have a couple of fixed blades that are skeletonized handles that could use a paracord grip as well.  :hmm:

stangzilla

« Reply #310 on: March 01, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
Reate Hills
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Reate-Knives-Hills-Flipper-Titanium--27002

this is my best manual folder yet!   :thumbsup:
best thing about this knife is the opening. its manual, but with the strong detent and smooth ball bearing pivot it feels almost like an assisted opener.  the opening is perfect for a manual folder.
the fit and finish is top notch.  it's a simple design, but has a hidden stop pin, different upswept spear point.
overall it is a quality knife.  its made in China but its not cheap.  this was the cheapest Reate knife but was nearly $200.  next cheapest is about $270, so Reate is not a cheap Chinese brand.  I've seen a few reviewed in Blade magazine and they are all top quality.  definitely best Chinese knife I own.   :thumbsup:
this and my ZT 0350 are probably my best 2 folders.
knife also came with a soft pouch with zipper, thinner cloth/nylon pouch, spare parts: few torx screws and 2 washers, and morale patch

drck1000

« Reply #311 on: March 01, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »
Reate Hills
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Reate-Knives-Hills-Flipper-Titanium--27002

this is my best manual folder yet!   :thumbsup:
best thing about this knife is the opening. its manual, but with the strong detent and smooth ball bearing pivot it feels almost like an assisted opener.  the opening is perfect for a manual folder.
the fit and finish is top notch.  it's a simple design, but has a hidden stop pin, different upswept spear point.
overall it is a quality knife.  its made in China but its not cheap.  this was the cheapest Reate knife but was nearly $200.  next cheapest is about $270, so Reate is not a cheap Chinese brand.  I've seen a few reviewed in Blade magazine and they are all top quality.  definitely best Chinese knife I own.   :thumbsup:
this and my ZT 0350 are probably my best 2 folders.
knife also came with a soft pouch with zipper, thinner cloth/nylon pouch, spare parts: few torx screws and 2 washers, and morale patch

SNIP
Whoa!  That's nice!  I've been kinda wanting to try one of those "nicer" Chinese brands, like We knives.  This one is interesting too.  Very nice blade and most of the features that I like.

I just put an order in to Knife Center.  Ordered a ZT that was on clearance and a Lionsteel.  Really looking forward to the Lionsteel.  Have heard many great things about them! 

stangzilla

« Reply #312 on: March 01, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
Whoa!  That's nice!  I've been kinda wanting to try one of those "nicer" Chinese brands, like We knives.  This one is interesting too.  Very nice blade and most of the features that I like.

I just put an order in to Knife Center.  Ordered a ZT that was on clearance and a Lionsteel.  Really looking forward to the Lionsteel.  Have heard many great things about them!

I was tempted by a couple of those ZT's on sale, and I've heard great things about Lionsteel too
looking forward to your pics and reviews on these knives    :shaka:

changemyoil66

« Reply #313 on: March 01, 2019, 08:30:50 PM »
Anyone here with those $600+ knives?

Do u use them? Or keep on the shelf for display.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #314 on: March 04, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
I was tempted by a couple of those ZT's on sale, and I've heard great things about Lionsteel too
looking forward to your pics and reviews on these knives    :shaka:
KC sure is slow.  Or at least a LOT slower than Blade HQ.  Placed order Fri morning and just got the notification that my CC was charged.  In my past orders with BladeHQ, the charge was pretty quick and usually shipped the next day.  Sometimes the same day. . .

drck1000

« Reply #315 on: March 04, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »
Anyone here with those $600+ knives?

Do u use them? Or keep on the shelf for display.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mine are all in the <$300 range right now.  Have either used them all or will shortly.

Most expensive that I've seriously considered was the Hinderer ($450-500 range).  Wouldn't hesitate to use. 

stangzilla

« Reply #316 on: March 05, 2019, 07:21:32 AM »
KC sure is slow.  Or at least a LOT slower than Blade HQ.  Placed order Fri morning and just got the notification that my CC was charged.  In my past orders with BladeHQ, the charge was pretty quick and usually shipped the next day.  Sometimes the same day. . .

BladeHQ is great!   :thumbsup:

stangzilla

« Reply #317 on: March 05, 2019, 07:29:02 AM »
Kizer Uprising
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Uprising-Wharncliffe-Frame--52447

this has a strong detent and smooth opening much like the Reate.  makes for a very swift opening and great lockup, almost like assisted opening.  I really like that in a manual folder.
I like this one a little better than my other Kizer Intrepid just bc of the stronger detent.
Wharncliffe blade, S35VN, titanium handles, ceramic ball bearings, frame lock, well built
I got it on ebay for about $40 less than on BladeHQ or KC, so I thought it was a great deal

drck1000

« Reply #318 on: March 05, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »
Kizer Uprising
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Uprising-Wharncliffe-Frame--52447

this has a strong detent and smooth opening much like the Reate.  makes for a very swift opening and great lockup, almost like assisted opening.  I really like that in a manual folder.
I like this one a little better than my other Kizer Intrepid just bc of the stronger detent.
Wharncliffe blade, S35VN, titanium handles, ceramic ball bearings, frame lock, well built
I got it on ebay for about $40 less than on BladeHQ or KC, so I thought it was a great deal

SNIP
Awesome!  You're on a roll! 

I was watching videos last night on the Wharncliffe blade with Michael Janich with Martial Blade Concepts and the purpose behind that shape and his influence (or start) of that design.  Pretty interesting on the discussion of the purpose of the shape.  I was going to try one, but just haven't gotten around to it.  I came close to buying a Spyderco Yojimbo 2 from SEC just before Christmas, but ended up getting another ZT. 

BladeHQ is great!   :thumbsup:

Yeah they are!  KC seems to have a wider selection, but Blade HQ's service is awesome.  I ordered a knife storage bag from BHQ and it had a minor issue with the stitching.  I sent them an email to arrange to sent it back for inspection.  Without a delay, they just sent me a replacement bag.  Their orders also ship super quick and browsing their selection seems easier, especially for me since I was looking for specific steels. 

My KC order finally shipped this morning.  Believe it should be here by Thursday.  ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #319 on: March 05, 2019, 01:15:48 PM »
now I don't want to get any more cheap knives since I've got better ones recently
now i'm getting pickier, knowing what I want and don't want in a knife
my taste just keeps getting more and more expensive
same thing with firearms now.  i'm willing to spend a little more to get exactly what I want  >:D