Knives - What Are Your Preferences? (Read 125648 times)

stangzilla

Re: Knives - What Are Your Preferences?
« Reply #340 on: March 19, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
the knife was on sale $179, and with the add on parts it will be a $400 knife. 
should be a fun project.    :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #341 on: March 19, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
$179 is a great price! Jealous!

dustoff003

« Reply #342 on: March 20, 2019, 09:26:52 AM »
You all are enablers. I bought my first new knife in maybe 7 or 8 years this past Monday from Young Guns to thank them for supporting HIFICO. Benchmade Bugout 535SGRY-1. I like it, it is small and light and not to thick. Manual open, Axis lock, CMP-530V steel. Carried tip up on the left, the clip can’t go on the hinge side so no option for tip down, the clip is reversible right to left.

macsak

« Reply #343 on: March 20, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »
You all are enablers. I bought my first new knife in maybe 7 or 8 years this past Monday from Young Guns to thank them for supporting HIFICO. Benchmade Bugout 535SGRY-1. I like it, it is small and light and not to thick. Manual open, Axis lock, CMP-530V steel. Carried tip up on the left, the clip can’t go on the hinge side so no option for tip down, the clip is reversible right to left.

that's not what she said

drck1000

« Reply #344 on: March 20, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »
Awesome! Always good to see!  ;D

My friends are total enablers. When I’m on the fence of buying something, they are like “buy it, buy it, buy it”.

The S30V steel is one of my favorites. I think the make a kydex sheath for that knife that allows neck carry. I was thinking of trying something like that.

stangzilla

« Reply #345 on: March 20, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »
$179 is a great price! Jealous!

i'll be the enabler again.
they still have it on sale at BladeHQ.   >:D

I made a mistake, it's only going to be a $300 knife.  cheaper already.   ;)

drck1000

« Reply #346 on: March 20, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
i'll be the enabler again.
they still have it on sale at BladeHQ.   >:D

I made a mistake, it's only going to be a $300 knife.  cheaper already.   ;)

"Saving up" for a .22lr rifle, LPVO, etc.   ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »
this video was my inspiration for modding the 0393
I won't make it exactly the same.  I still like the G10 overlays so i'll leave those on.
I like this guys knife videos

drck1000

« Reply #348 on: March 21, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
this video was my inspiration for modding the 0393
I won't make it exactly the same.  I still like the G10 overlays so i'll leave those on.
I like this guys knife videos

The edge on that 0392 looked awesome!  That customization was pretty cool.  Similar to firearms, I tend to want to keep things closer to stock, but I do appreciate when folks put the effort to personalize and customize. 

He's super detail oriented!  Hearing the sound of a high pitch "catching" on closing.  Now I wonder if any of my knives make that sound.  I don't need "everything be perfect", but interesting what other folks notice or deem important to them.  As long as it opens smoothly and reliably, all good for me.  I don't use the stud to open my similarly designed knives (0562 and others). I'm good with G10 scales/overlays.  I prefer the grip of the G10 and texture than the look of carbon fiber scales.  I did notice his comment about pressure on the frame lock can affect opening. 

I have a couple of 20CV and 204P knives and they are pretty pricey.  Same with the M390, but I seem to be able to find M390 more often and for not quite a high a premium than the other two.  I am really interested in the Spanto profile though. 

I checked last night and BHQ still has them in stock, but didn't order one. . . yet. . .  ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »
got the 0393 and its great!   :thumbsup:
flipping action is like butter.  I have knives that are snappier but this one is very smooth, a lot like my Reate which is really smooth too
some people don't like the G10 overlays on the Titanium framelock, but I like it.  its kind of like the best of both worlds.  I have another framelock with g10 overlays (Kershaw) which I like the design too.  didn't like it at first but its very functional.
its pretty thin but not too much, and its not too heavy and not too light but just right.  a great EDC knife.
I like the spanto blade, its different
some people don't like the black coating on the top, but I like it, matches the G10
overall great knife, its been in my pocket the past 2 days.  very comfortable to carry.  the action is like butter.   :geekdanc:

stangzilla

« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2019, 07:01:50 AM »

got some parts in.  still waiting on the parts from Australia.
only did the pivot screw which has a Hinderer look with the flat head screw.  and also did the filler tab.
I got the pocket clip but turns out I ordered the wrong one.  but theres one that I would rather have but its not in stock so i'll wait for it.
looks a little better, the pivot screw works fine doesn't change the smooth opening at all
just have to wait for the Australian stuff to arrive.  it hasn't even shipped yet, hope it ships soon

Heavies

« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2019, 08:03:33 PM »

My work EDC.  8Cr13Mov takes a hair shaving razor edge and this steel HOLDS it.  I cut many many very tough substances almost daily, wash it off and slice steak like a scalpel.   Only paid 40 or 50 bucks or something like that for it.  Very good blade.

drck1000

« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »

My work EDC.  8Cr13Mov takes a hair shaving razor edge and this steel HOLDS it.  I cut many many very tough substances almost daily, wash it off and slice steak like a scalpel.   Only paid 40 or 50 bucks or something like that for it.  Very good blade.
What do you use to sharpen?

I have a couple of Kershaws with 8Cr13MoV and they have held up well. That steel is known for being easy to sharpen, but not as much for edge retention and corrosion resistance. But each maker has their own heatreat and other processes that can make a difference.

stangzilla

« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2019, 07:50:51 AM »
Civivi Aquila.  the budget brand of We knives
https://www.bladehq.com/item--CIVIVI-Aquila-Flipper-Liner-Lock--89931
got this a few weeks ago
overall its pretty good for $68
VG10 steel, G10 scales, steel liner lock, ceramic bearings.  opening is pretty smooth, detent is fairly strong.  comes out fast, although not as fast as my ZT's, or Kizers, or Reate.  but those are much more expensive than this Civivi
blade is a satin finish which looks very nice, shiny but not polished.  and not too heavy
overall I like it for an inexpensive blade

Heavies

« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2019, 09:34:03 AM »
What do you use to sharpen?

I have a couple of Kershaws with 8Cr13MoV and they have held up well. That steel is known for being easy to sharpen, but not as much for edge retention and corrosion resistance. But each maker has their own heatreat and other processes that can make a difference.
Use the cheap lanski with 3 stones to get the very sharp edge, then do touch ups with smith's
https://lansky.com/products/std-3-stone-system/
https://www.smithsproducts.com/3-in-1-sharpening-system

I cut everything from fiberglass to kevlar with this blade, almost daily.   The edge retention is much better than most cheaper knives.  Not that easy to sharpen, but way easier than my M390 blade.  Touch up maybe every 2 weeks, reset the bevel maybe 3 or 4 months with the lanski.

Heavies

« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
Ferrum Forge, Gent.  Titanium, G10 scales, s35vn blade

Came sharp, and with a few licks on the Lanski and a light strop polish, it's shaving sharp.

Very light weight and nice to carry. Would not consider a self defense blade per the shape and the handle, too slick and small, not much to keep your own hand from slipping onto the blade, more of a utility shape IMO.   Will test it out at work to see how well it holds up to hard cutting tasks. 

stangzilla

« Reply #356 on: April 01, 2019, 08:26:43 AM »
custom knife maker David Kulis
idk how much these cost, but I imagine they're very expensive.  great looking knives

jaynick

« Reply #357 on: April 01, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »
custom knife maker David Kulis
idk how much these cost, but I imagine they're very expensive.  great looking knives

Those look nice but fit n finish isn't that great for a high dollar custom. From fast forwarding thru the vid i noticed tolerances could be tighter all over and the grind is sloppy.Custom knife market is so saturated from forged in fire. 90% of custom makers like this guy just started within the last few years and have mostly YouTube training instead of apprenticeship under a master bladesmith. It's possible to be self taught and become great but most are hobbyists just putting out ok work mostly because of their modern equipment and the expensive materials they use. A lot of them also don't understand ergonomics or actually use knives. heeter knives for example.

It's kind of like the solar boom in hawaii. Most will disappear in 5 years

stangzilla

« Reply #358 on: April 01, 2019, 10:09:37 AM »
Those look nice but fit n finish isn't that great for a high dollar custom. From fast forwarding thru the vid i noticed tolerances could be tighter all over and the grind is sloppy.Custom knife market is so saturated from forged in fire. 90% of custom makers like this guy just started within the last few years and have mostly YouTube training instead of apprenticeship under a master bladesmith. It's possible to be self taught and become great but most are hobbyists just putting out ok work mostly because of their modern equipment and the expensive materials they use. A lot of them also don't understand ergonomics or actually use knives. heeter knives for example.

It's kind of like the solar boom in hawaii. Most will disappear in 5 years

I was looking for some custom parts for my ZT's lately, and most places I found are backordered for several weeks.
this custom knife maker is rather new, I think only a few years in the practice

stangzilla

« Reply #359 on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »
I might need this pretty soon   :D