white77s

Done
« on: January 19, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »
done
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:20:07 AM by white77s »

Heavies

Re: This website sucks
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »
This website has become one where the people expect to get something for basically free.  Henceforth, I am taking my stuff and selling it elsewhere because the people on this site expect  to get something for 50% of what it’s worth.  After I post this ad, I will no longer post or reply to any ads on this site because the people who participate on it don’t appreciate the value of what a gun is actually worth.  I recommend that anyone reading this do the same, rather than giving in to selling your stuff for half of what you paid for it.
Up to you

I've got fair deals on the items I've purchased from other members. And given faith deals to those who have purchased from me.

Yeah I've been lowballed a few times.  I just ignore it.

I will say in this day and age, people do not know how to haggle properly, and politely.   Many take offense to offers even when they post OBO.

Just my observation

pigeonhunter

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »
Please let me know when you have found a site where low ballers don’t exist. Godspeed

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »
The first time I traveled to Saudi Arabia, I went with experienced GIs to the markets to learn how to haggle.  Unless you do a lot of used car or other secondhand sales, you just don't have the experience or know-how to barter.

Now that I've been to Saudi several times and South Korea more times than I can count, haggling over price is not a big deal.  No sense in getting emotional.

It's pretty simple.  The seller asks their price for something you're interested in buying.  You offer what you think that thing is worth to you, or what you think is a fair price compared to other sellers.  You have to be willing to walk away in order to get the seller to lower their asking price.  In the same way, the seller has to be unwilling to accept a too-low offer if he thinks someone else is willing to pay more.

Supply and demand drives prices.  Shop around.  Do your homework, and use the information you research to back up your position when haggling.

I imagine most of the emotional responses stem from being frustrated over the process because you don't know what price the market will support.

A firearm's "value" to you might be super low to another person, AND it may be super high to someone else.  There are those looking to "flip" anything they can:  firearms, cars, houses, etc.  They look for desperate sellers in need of cash and try to pick up a bargain -- only to turn around and advertise it for higher.  Or they may already have someone they know will pay more for it than they did.

If the only offers you get are low-ball, maybe your particular firearm isn't in high demand right now?  I've seen some ads sit here for months and months before selling, because the seller hasn't found that one buyer who will pay what it's worth.  It's just a matter of timing. 

Lots of people bought firearms at whatever the seller asked when Obama was in office.  Now those guns are commanding a much lower price due to over-supply and less demand.  What you paid is not the gun's "value".  It's value is based on what a buyer is willing and able to pay for it in the condition being offered.

To me, this is all basic knowledge regarding markets and pricing.  It doesn't benefit anyone to throw a fit and accuse "the people" of expecting to "get something for basically free."  That's not only a blatant exaggeration (I seriously doubt anyone was looking to pay nothing at all, even "basically nothing at all"), it's also blasting everyone on here who never answered one of your ads.

If you can't handle the "pressure" of haggling with someone who's simply looking for a deeper discount than you want to offer, that's YOUR problem.  It's so easy to say, "No."  Taking a lowball offer personally?  That's something you just have to learn to get over.  Maybe you REALLY REALLY need to sell a gun for whatever reason.  Your situation becomes a lowball buyer's advantage.  Nothing personal.  It's just business.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:44:45 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Louscamaro91

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 03:55:10 PM »
What you got for sale?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 03:57:40 PM »
This is not a classified ad.

It should not be under "Classifieds".

Just saying....   
-- Melvin Udall

mill8316

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
I thought he was gonna say it sucks trying to upload pics. Cuz I definitely think that is a weakness having to take multiple steps to resize pics rather than just direct upload from phone

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Re: This website sucks
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 04:14:57 PM »
I thought he was gonna say it sucks trying to upload pics. Cuz I definitely think that is a weakness having to take multiple steps to resize pics rather than just direct upload from phone

We went through the same symptoms for months.  The mods got VERY angry at me for asking for a status -- perhaps even having a discussion -- on what the problem and resolution might be. 

The problem apparently fixed itself when they had some other things go wrong that brought the site down for a number of days.  When it came back up, we could magically upload pics again.

I'm not getting in the middle of this issue again.  I understand the "keys" to the site were handed over to new management.  Maybe that'll help.  It probably depends on who asks for it to be fixed.  If I do it, I'll probably be banned.

:shaka:
-- Melvin Udall

spicynoodle_1

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 05:22:54 PM »
This website has become one where the people expect to get something for basically free.  Henceforth, I am taking my stuff and selling it elsewhere because the people on this site expect  to get something for 50% of what it’s worth.  After I post this ad, I will no longer post or reply to any ads on this site because the people who participate on it don’t appreciate the value of what a gun is actually worth.  I recommend that anyone reading this do the same, rather than giving in to selling your stuff for half of what you paid for it.

This section is for selling/buying/trading firearms. Not for rants. If you dont like the offer, say no. And move on...

mr. me 808

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 05:37:02 PM »
I’m guessing this person never sold anything on craigslist

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Re: This website sucks
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 06:00:30 PM »
I’m guessing this person never sold anything on craigslist

I'd go one step further and say he's never sold anything on the Internet ever.

Maybe he should try being Hawaii's rep for Poly 80s.  Seems to be an underserved market segment.
-- Melvin Udall

cloggedpitot

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 06:06:44 PM »

Personally I hope you decide to give this site a second thought before you leave. Its not perfect. The people in here are not perfect. That said, it has brought so many good people together to sell, trade, and share with one another that the little bad one experiences is acceptable. As a community we are under constant attack for our rights, making sticking together increasingly important. We have so few outlets like this, none in Hawaii that compare that I am aware of.

Hope you reconsider.

Tim

Platinum808

[WTB] Re: This website sucks
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 06:10:45 PM »

A used gun! Thats a good one!
Oh ignorant youth, the world is not a joyous place. The time has come for you to dispense with the frivolous pleasures of childhood and get down to honest toil until you are sixty-five. Then and only then can you relax and collect your social security and live happily until the time of your death!

-Hunter S. Thompson

Heavies

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 08:16:21 PM »
We went through the same symptoms for months.  The mods got VERY angry at me for asking for a status -- perhaps even having a discussion -- on what the problem and resolution might be. 

The problem apparently fixed itself when they had some other things go wrong that brought the site down for a number of days.  When it came back up, we could magically upload pics again.

I'm not getting in the middle of this issue again.  I understand the "keys" to the site were handed over to new management.  Maybe that'll help.  It probably depends on who asks for it to be fixed.  If I do it, I'll probably be banned.

:shaka:

Beg to differ in your summary of the whole conversation, but that's another topic.

stangzilla

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 08:37:43 PM »
Bye-bye  :shaka:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 08:45:36 PM »
Beg to differ in your summary of the whole conversation, but that's another topic.

Not interested in rehashing the past.  I'm not personally affected by the problem, since I use a workaround.

If my facts are fuzzy, blame it on lack of communication.  I can only be responsible for knowing what people on here are willing to share.

:stopjack:

-- Melvin Udall

19pontiac79

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 03:16:45 AM »
Wow guy relax. I dont know if its cause i have regularly put money into undesirable cars with shitty resale value. I got used to or accepted the fact that in that hobby and this one i will never make my money back. Unless your dealing with true classics. So when i need the cash i dont hesitate and dont sweat it, and let it rip if can if no can i def dont take it personal :shaka:

Ask louscamaro91 he know  :D
"if can. Can. If no can. No can" - Uncles 😆
"Why? The ring no block the hole." - Uncle's 😘
"You can throw a rock any distance and you will hit a double standard. = LIFE" 🤷🏽‍♂️

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 03:53:43 AM »
I've seen several times someone will post a lowball offer in the public thread.  Sometimes they say "Cash in hand!" and "Have valid permit".

It's funny they think those things are selling points, even when the firearm is a handgun, and there is NO WAY they can possibly have the permit!   :rofl:

Just smile, and wave ....

Smile, and wave.   :D
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 04:52:10 AM »
A little advice about buying and selling stuff anywhere:
Just bc someone makes you an offer doesn't mean you have to take it

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 06:20:33 AM »
Bye-bye  :shaka:
 :rofl:
To the OP if you are still reading this.....

First of all,  the primary purpose of this website is not to sell stuff.
It is to disseminate information about your right to own a firearm.
The other primary puŕpose is to have a virtual clubhouse for people who enjoy their firearms to meet and talk about it.

If your ONLY reason for being here is to sell stuff, then you are missing the whole point.
What, Me Worry?