Hurricane Season 2018 (Read 47537 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hurricane Season 2018
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
Dude I agree with you, but it's hard for certain people.  A lot of people in hawaii live a pay check to paycheck lifestyle, and dropping a bunch of money on emergency supplies that they dont use is a sharp blow to their budget.  Of course it can be argued that they should be living more within their means, but that's a topic for another discussion... 

The way I see it is that if these guys are so hard up that they need to drag their stupid supplies back to the store for a refund, then let em go....  At least they're buying supplies for the hurricane, and won't need to be crying to the government for assistance 1 day post-event.  Oahu has 1 million people, and the government has no stockpiles of supplies to handle their needs.  The more that is distributed into the hands of the general public before the event, the less needy they will be afterwards.  And the government will have more time to bring in aid and distribute properly.

I think quotas are kinda easy to get around, but would be more effective than "no return" policies that the employees likely wouldn't adhere too once these people start raising a fuss that they can't return their pallet of water.  And quotas would help to ensure that supplies are distributed across more people  rather than concentrated in the hands of some last minute bulk hoarders who wouldn't even end up using most of it even if a hurricane did hit.   10 people with 1 case of water each is less likely to return than 1 guy hoarding 10 cases.

The problem with the "hoard & refund" types is they create shortages for everyone else. They also cause problems for retailers and suppliers trying to keep up with demand.

You never read The Ant and the Grasshopper, huh?  These Grasshoppers that wait to buy up everything at the last minute are not only hurting the other procrastinating Grasshoppers, but they also hurt the Ants who just needed to add a little to their stockpile ahead of an emergency.

I'm not judging anyone who can't afford supplies year round. I'm sure these are the same people who have no flood insurance, renter's insurance or auto insurance.  You'll see who they are after the floods, crying on the news how they lost everything and where to send cash donations to help them.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

2ahavvaii

« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
^

yeah dude, I totally understand what you're saying and agree with you.  If you come up with a better way to change these type of people's behavior, I'm sure lawmakers would want to know.  Maybe changing the laws is a bit heavy handed, but I think 72 hours out from a storm, there should be some restrictions in place.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2018, 01:57:25 PM »
Also guys, do not take this storm for granted, no matter what  you think you see on the NOAA map is or that it's projected to be much weaker as it gets closer to oahu.

There's currently hikers trapped in waipio valley on the big island, which is currently flooding (Nowhere near the hurricane on the map i might add), and the weather is too severe to run air operations to locate them.  In all likelihood, they will need to survive on their own until the storm passes.  When that will be?  IDK, maybe once its projected to stop coming closer and swings westward out to sea in the next few days?

If you do something foolish, do not assume emergency crews will be able to rescue you!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2018, 02:21:11 PM »
Also guys, do not take this storm for granted, no matter what  you think you see on the NOAA map is or that it's projected to be much weaker as it gets closer to oahu.

There's currently hikers trapped in waipio valley on the big island, which is currently flooding (Nowhere near the hurricane on the map i might add), and the weather is too severe to run air operations to locate them.  In all likelihood, they will need to survive on their own until the storm passes.  When that will be?  IDK, maybe once its projected to stop coming closer and swings westward out to sea in the next few days?

If you do something foolish, do not assume emergency crews will be able to rescue you!

The storm was moving at 8 MPH.  Now it's down to 6 MPH.

The slower it moves, the worse it can get for us.  A stationary storm will keep churning up winds and dumping rain on us longer.  More severe flooding and wind damage is the result.  Falling rocks and uprooted trees will be a possibility as the water loosens the soil.

Looks like the storm is finally starting to track more N-NW. It was mostly W-NW before.

Position is due south of Oahu and SW of the BI.
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »
Anyone who would go hiking anywhere, much more so Waipio Valley,  before an impending storm, deserves whatever consequences they get from their foolish actions.  Don't expect other people to risk their lives trying to save your dumb ass.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
Googled past Waipio Valley news.  Seems like hikers have to be rescued there all the time when it rains.  Flash flood zone, it seems.

PPP (Piss-Poor Planning).
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
Well, Zippys closed at 2 pm. :kickcan:

I have plenty of food, but since I have to take care of transport for my dad, I thought I might as well get some hot food.

Tom_G

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »
Tamura's in Palolo closed at 3pm. WE went for a run about 12:30. There was actually parking (there's NEVER parking at Tamura's!), and they still had poke! Loaded up, figure it's the last fresh fish we'll have until Monday. Also laid in some, um, emergency fluid reserves.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Inspector

« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
Also laid in some, um, emergency fluid reserves.
Antifreeze?  :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
Tamura's in Palolo closed at 3pm. WE went for a run about 12:30. There was actually parking (there's NEVER parking at Tamura's!), and they still had poke! Loaded up, figure it's the last fresh fish we'll have until Monday. Also laid in some, um, emergency fluid reserves.
I have plenty of whiskey/whisky if anyone missed on that prep.  ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2018, 05:07:37 PM »
Well, Zippys closed at 2 pm. :kickcan:

I have plenty of food, but since I have to take care of transport for my dad, I thought I might as well get some hot food.

Sorry, morning news said 4. Sorry you missed the zip packs

stangzilla

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2018, 05:09:40 PM »
I have plenty of whiskey/whisky if anyone missed on that prep.  ;D

Got my bourbon and just picked up a 12 pack of beer. I'm a lightweight.

drck1000

« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
Sorry, morning news said 4. Sorry you missed the zip packs
Nah. All good. Got some Korean BBQ after I dropped my dad off. I think the Piikoi one closed early.

Got my bourbon and just picked up a 12 pack of beer. I'm a lightweight.
One of my buddies is trying to talk me into going over to his house to drink this afternoon. And he’s a first responder. O.o

changemyoil66

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »
If your water came from the tap and is safe to drink, you really don't need to boil it.  Hopefully the city already makes the water drinkable when you turn on the faucet.  :shake:

If you use a filter (Brita, fridge water dispenser, etc.), you'll eliminate chlorine and other chemicals or particulates to make the water better tasting, but those chemicals keep the water safe by killing bacteria.

I'd recommend going straight from the tap to the freezer.  Boiling seems redundant.
It was a joke. My coworker asked me how to keep hot water hot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
So it starts!

GlockNewb

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2018, 06:55:13 PM »
Not letting letting my guard down, but hopeful signs.

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

newguy86

« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
So my wife has to volunteer at an American red cross shelter, got dragged along with her for a 12 hour, this will help alot in further

2ahavvaii

« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2018, 11:19:01 PM »
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/08/23/weather-updates/lanes-turn-west-not-assured-so-next-24-hours-will-be-crucial-for-oahu-meteorologist-says/

This is a good read.  As mentioned earlier, need to pray the storm keeps weakening.  If the storm doesn't weaken enough tomorrow, the storm will continue going north towards oahu and kauai instead of turning out to sea. 

If you're wondering why they keep expecting the left turn, it's because the prevailing tradewinds would have a strong enough effect to turn a weak cat 1 hurricane.  A stronger cat2 - cat 3 hurricane is far more resistant to this effect. 
“It will be bad news for Oahu if the storm tomorrow is stronger than (the Central Pacific Hurricane Center) has forecast right now — because that will make a turn to the left more unlikely before it gets to Oahu,” Henning said. “Everyone on Oahu should be prepared to take a direct hit.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2018, 11:30:13 PM »
It was a joke. My coworker asked me how to keep hot water hot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know how I missed that from freezing boiled water.   :wacko: :geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »
So it starts!

Good Choice!  I am carrying so cannot imbibe.:)