Glock Shootout. Gen 3 vs Gen 4 vs Gen 5 (Read 6799 times)

Kingkeoni

Glock Shootout. Gen 3 vs Gen 4 vs Gen 5
« on: April 24, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
The iconic Glock pistol has been one of the best selling pistols ever since Gaston Glock released his "plastic gun" back in the 80's.

I've owned every generation of Glock 17 that has come out and after all this time, I decided to do a little test of the last 3 generations of Glock 17 pistols.
I also tested a Glock 19 and 19X to see where they fit in the hierarchy.

The 5th generation Glock is the first one with an ambi slide release. They also removed the finger grooves that adorned the gen 3's and gen 4's.
Most notably though (in my opinion) is the new "Marksman barrel".
Glock decided to do away with their polygonal rifling.
Their new GMB barrel now features a standard "land and groove" type of rifling and an improved barrel crown.

For this test/review I used the:   Gen 3 Glock 17 with KKM match stainless barrel.
                                                   Gen 4 Glock 17
                                                   Gen 5 Glock 17
                                                   Gen 4 Glock 19
                                                   Glock 19X

I shot at 15 feet, 21 feet and 30 feet.

All guns were shot freehand, 2 hand grip, isosceles stance.

There were zero malfunctions of any kind and all firearms tested worked flawlessly.

Top left target is the Gen 3 17
Top right target is the Gen 4 17
Middle target is the Gen 4 19
Bottom left target is the Gen 5 17
Bottom right is the Glock 19X

After the dust settled, I can definitely say that the new Glock barrel is very accurate. The Gen 5 Glock 17 outshot every other pistol in the review.
None of the pistols were terribly inaccurate but the Gen 5 was a literal tack driver.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Heavies

Re: Glock Shootout. Gen 3 vs Gen 4 vs Gen 5
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
Hey, welcome back!  Nice!

Kingkeoni

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:23:41 AM »
Thank you Heavies.

:shaka:
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:39:52 AM »
That's awesome!  Thank you for sharing! 

I love to do side-by-side testing, like you did here, except with a big variety.  I've shot the 17 Gen 4 and Gen 5 the same day, but not quite side-by-side like you did here. 

Looks like most have stock Glock sights on them except for the 19 Gen 4.  Any feedback on the sights of the Gen 5 and the 19X?  I have replaced the sights on all of my Glocks, but I have shot many with the stock sights as well.

Couple of opinion questions.  If you were to need a new Glock 17 or 19, which would you get?  Assuming it's the Gen 5, how much of a premium are you willing to spend?  As in if prices were to drop considerably on the Gen 4, you'd go for the Gen 4, despite liking the Gen 5 more. 

Drakiir84

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »
That's awesome!  Thank you for sharing! 

I love to do side-by-side testing, like you did here, except with a big variety.  I've shot the 17 Gen 4 and Gen 5 the same day, but not quite side-by-side like you did here. 

Looks like most have stock Glock sights on them except for the 19 Gen 4.  Any feedback on the sights of the Gen 5 and the 19X?  I have replaced the sights on all of my Glocks, but I have shot many with the stock sights as well.

Couple of opinion questions.  If you were to need a new Glock 17 or 19, which would you get?  Assuming it's the Gen 5, how much of a premium are you willing to spend?  As in if prices were to drop considerably on the Gen 4, you'd go for the Gen 4, despite liking the Gen 5 more.

I put a couple hundred rounds down the tube on a 19 and I would not get one.  The cutout on the front cuts into my soft dainty hand.  Some friends that I've done classes for have asked my opinion and my answer to them was if you want a 19 get a gen 4, if you want a 17 get the gen 5.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »
I put a couple hundred rounds down the tube on a 19 and I would not get one.  The cutout on the front cuts into my soft dainty hand.  Some friends that I've done classes for have asked my opinion and my answer to them was if you want a 19 get a gen 4, if you want a 17 get the gen 5.
I shot the 19 Gen 5 as well at a fun shoot a while back.  I don't recall noticing that cut out thing.  I was considering getting 19 back then and if I were to get one, I would've gotten a Gen 5.  That said, if the prices on the Gen 4 went down, I would be happy with that as well.  Went to SEC this past weekend for some other things and they had a few Gen 5s in stock.  The LE/MIL price was same for Gen 4 and Gen 5.