AR optic of choice (Read 23463 times)

ren

Re: AR optic of choice
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
Have you ever considered buying tritium vials instead of the led light to put on top of the acog’s tritium/fiber optic?
You can get them from mixglo and they aren’t very expensive (though they’re tiny but they’re bright). That’s what I did when I still had a SeeAll sight, bought a tiny tritium rod from them and stuck it in one of the little holes in the fiber optic and sealed it with tape and it was overall cheaper than buying the SeeAll tritium sight.

the tritium is still bright after buying it in 2009. I would replace it myself but I don't have the means to purge the optic after disassembly.
Deeds Not Words

stangzilla

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2020, 01:15:54 PM »
Instead of having a whole page dedicated to telling the story of Francis Marion, have a page detailing the mechanics of their scopes. Like this: https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology

I was skeptical of Nightforce when they came out years ago but after reading about what they know in design, manufacture and shooting NF scopes I am confident in their products and would spend my money on NF.

I'd love to be able to afford a NF optic. Their reputation for quality and toughness is hard to beat. They are top tier optics for sure

stangzilla

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2020, 01:28:13 PM »
Comparing NF to Swampfox would be like comparing a Maserati GT or Mercedes AMG GT to a Mustang GT
First 2 cars are better built, faster, better all around. But all I can afford is a Mustang GT, and it does what I need it to do

stangzilla

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2020, 01:41:09 PM »
46 page thread on Swampfox optics. Marketing guy comes in on page 1. Interesting read, says about 20 well known US optic companies use the same Chinese manufacturers to make their optics.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/SwampFox-Optics/18-737086/?page=1

Springfield put the same optic on their AR. Although their AR isnt top tier
https://www.thearmorylife.com/the-riflemans-rifle-saint-5-56mm/
They use UTG buis too. I have the UTG low pro irons and I like them better than magpul, they are solidly built.

drck1000

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »
I'd love to be able to afford a NF optic. Their reputation for quality and toughness is hard to beat. They are top tier optics for sure
Oh go for it.  Treat yourself to something nice.  You deserve it! 

And yes, I do tell myself that when I'm on the fence about dropping $$$ on something.  Sometimes it "helps".   ;D

drck1000

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »
I've heard a lot of bad feedback about Optic Planet as well.  It seems like since they multiple warehouses/outlets, that they have a difficult time with their stock tracking.  I've bought some things from them and had one item that was later changed to backordered when it was listed as in stock when I placed the order.  I ended up cancelling the order and going with another company. 

Neesh

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
46 page thread on Swampfox optics. Marketing guy comes in on page 1. Interesting read, says about 20 well known US optic companies use the same Chinese manufacturers to make their optics.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/SwampFox-Optics/18-737086/?page=1

Springfield put the same optic on their AR. Although their AR isnt top tier
https://www.thearmorylife.com/the-riflemans-rifle-saint-5-56mm/
They use UTG buis too. I have the UTG low pro irons and I like them better than magpul, they are solidly built.
I ordered my arrowhead 1-10x in green  along with a kingslayer....shipped out the next day and got it within 3 days....was the same when I ordered their 1-6x arrowhead...super fast, even with the covid 19 stuff going on. Had to wait over a week for optics planet to tell me they couldn't ship an upper and then another 3 weeks for them  actually ship out the rest of my order.
I'm happy with both the 1-6x and 1-10x..like it better than my PA 1-8x.
Someone on the other forum did a comparison with a NF...his results or should I say opinion was surprising.....but thats his opinion and I can't say because I don't own a NF and don't think I'd ever be able to afford one..
P.s....good choice on the 510c....happy with mine and want to get another one later

stangzilla

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2020, 05:09:24 PM »
I ordered my arrowhead 1-10x in green  along with a kingslayer....shipped out the next day and got it within 3 days....was the same when I ordered their 1-6x arrowhead...super fast, even with the covid 19 stuff going on. Had to wait over a week for optics planet to tell me they couldn't ship an upper and then another 3 weeks for them  actually ship out the rest of my order.
I'm happy with both the 1-6x and 1-10x..like it better than my PA 1-8x.
Someone on the other forum did a comparison with a NF...his results or should I say opinion was surprising.....but thats his opinion and I can't say because I don't own a NF and don't think I'd ever be able to afford one..
P.s....good choice on the 510c....happy with mine and want to get another one later

I ordered in green too
I saw a comparison on that thread with NF. Not sure if same as you are talking about. Was a 15 year old NF, if i remember correctly. Said was pretty comparable glass. And the NF was $800 when he got it. So I take that FWIW.
I also have a PA 1-6, see how it compares. I might give the PA to my nephew, put it on his AR

Neesh

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2020, 05:13:36 PM »
Lol not sure if its the same one...have to go look it up...im sure a SFP won't compare to the NF.....good thing I don't get to see through one coz then I'd want one....maybe one day...for now I'm happy with the ones I have...so don't post pics of the NF so I don't know what I'm missing lol

Here's the post from johnwayne_77 on the other forum...take it for what its worth....

I own both.

Glass is just as good. (The glass in the PST-II 1-6 is excellent for the pricepoint)

The eyebox on the PST-II feels a little bit more generous, but I'm still getting the mount dialed in on the gun the Arrowhead is installed on. I ditched the Aero mount last week in favor of a 1.93 ADM mount and that's helping. I think a 1.7 is probably ideal but the 1.93 ADM mount was free-99, so...

The reticle on the Arrowhead is much nicer to use with illumination. The more traditional crosshairs reticle on the PST-II is still very quick to use at speed...but I spent a lot of years hunting game with that kind of reticle so it's easy to use anyway.

I can tell you after playing with it back to back with a Nightforce 1-8x I prefer the Arrowhead by a considerable margin. If there's a measurable difference in the clarity of the glass, I couldn't see it. Using both of them back to back at everything from 5 yards out to 300 I greatly preferred the Arrowhead in usability, clarity, and ease of use. Especially up close. First focal plane optics are nice but the sight picture you get on the NF sucks compared to the Arrowhead's reticle, IMO. The super-restrictive eye box on the NF is a pain in the balls. And it's so restrictive that if you shift your head even slightly it looks like the illuminated part of the reticle is blinking. It's not, it's just sort of 3D hologramming (if that's a word) slightly and that makes it look funny. It's also a pain in the balls to use at distance because the center of the reticle takes up so much real estate. Shooting at a head plate on a hostage target at 300 you're just guessing where the plate is because you can't see it. With the Arrowhead I can see it and I can pick which part of the plate I'm putting the dot in the center of the reticle on.

The only reason I'm not replacing my PST-II 1-6x with another Arrowhead is because the gun it's on is a legit sub-MOA gun (.8 MOA, to be exact) with the MagTek MK262 load and I don't have the time or the spare ammo to dial in another optic on the gun before I have to teach with it. So I'm leaving it alone :-X
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:53:44 PM by Neesh »

Neesh

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »
Here's a shot from my phone through the scopes...not a good representation but at least for some comparison....all done in 6x zoom
1st shot is the arrowhead 1-6x
2nd is the Arrowhead 1-10x (not sure why the reticle is larger)
3rd is the PA 1-8x
4th is at 1x for comparison
5th is  Arrowhead 1-10x in 10x
6th is PA 1-8x in 8x
Hard to center the scope with the phone so the eyebox may have been off a little on some of the pics.
Either way, I'm happy with what I got so far.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
When I had the PA 1-6x SFP, the clarity and light transmission left a lot to be desired. Same for for the vortex strike eagle 1-6x. The next LPVO I’ll be looking to get is the Steiner P4Xi 1-4x. Lots of people say it’s the best glass you can get for the cost.

Neesh

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2020, 06:14:07 PM »
Can someone recommend a decent magnifier and quick flip mount to go with my Holosun 510c? My old eyes need some magnification for longer distances. Dont want to spend an arm and a leg for it and prefer something with good eye relief

Neesh

« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
When I had the PA 1-6x SFP, the clarity and light transmission left a lot to be desired. Same for for the vortex strike eagle 1-6x. The next LPVO I’ll be looking to get is the Steiner P4Xi 1-4x. Lots of people say it’s the best glass you can get for the cost.
Nice scope...do they have something with a tad more magnification?

Bota-CS1

« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2020, 07:14:43 PM »
Can someone recommend a decent magnifier and quick flip mount to go with my Holosun 510c? My old eyes need some magnification for longer distances. Dont want to spend an arm and a leg for it and prefer something with good eye relief

If your 510c Is lower 1/3 get the Vortex micro 3x
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

stangzilla

« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2020, 08:21:15 PM »
Here's a shot from my phone through the scopes...not a good representation but at least for some comparison....all done in 6x zoom
1st shot is the arrowhead 1-6x
2nd is the Arrowhead 1-10x (not sure why the reticle is larger)
3rd is the PA 1-8x
4th is at 1x for comparison
5th is  Arrowhead 1-10x in 10x
6th is PA 1-8x in 8x
Hard to center the scope with the phone so the eyebox may have been off a little on some of the pics.
Either way, I'm happy with what I got so far.
Good comparison pics.  :shaka:

blastoff747

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2020, 01:51:50 AM »

I use the holosun hm3x.  Comes with spacer for lower 1/3.

aaronc5362

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »
Fwiw,

Nightforce came out with cheaper optics. 900-1200. Shv line for some time now. Not as durable as their nxs, atacr, nx8 according to them (nf company.) Bur people still be beating on them with zero issues. Best ive seen was thrown 20-30 feet in the air and hit gravel road. Also dragged it going 30-45 mph down the same road. Sure it was scratched and nicked. I think his elevation turret was semi hard to turn after all that. But Still held zero and did that 4 corner test to return to zero. Gtg.

Swampfox is an airsofter. Nothing wrong with that. Hell i still play too just not since last year, had no time off of work. He just doesnt have the funding to backup and manufacture his own yet. Everyone has to start somewhere. Never tried his optics yet tho. Prob never will. Ill stick to leupys, trijicon. Just for their reputation and customer service. Had to deal with both customer service. Leupy sent parts no questions asked. And didnt even care if i sent my old stuff back. Trijicon fixed my mro free of charge, and paid for my shipping both ways.

MantisClaw

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »

The P4Xi has almost doubled in cost recently.  I got mine for ~$400 and it's amazing at that price.  At $800 or $600 demo price you're better off saving a little more for a much better optic.

stangzilla

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2020, 02:43:07 PM »
Here's a look through the Arrowhead 1-10
I'm seeing people saying this its better than Strike Eagle and some say better than Viper PST. That would be something
If it's better or comparable, then I'll be more than satisfied

aaronc5362

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2020, 05:16:11 PM »
Wow thats actually pretty damn clear considering it first goes through a camera lens then i watch it through my old ass Samsung galaxy phone screen.

For those who dont know, its like a printing press. Everytime it has to pass another stage (in this case lens and screens,  quality degrades) learned that in art class back in high school and college. Lol

Nice choice stang