why people are leaving Hawaii (Read 7147 times)

macsak

ren

Re: why people are leaving Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 08:53:33 PM »
lots of red flags there
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
It's simple, cost of living is the main drive.  I got plenty people my age who moved due to this.  They ended up getting a shitty retail job in Vegas making $15/hr and can pay the rent and eat.  The ones who make $20/hr ended up buying a home up there.  No way you can do that here.  But mainly these were friends who had no education and were in shitty jobs already.

This shitty part is some had to move back because their parents got old and needed care.  The parent didn't want to go up to Vegas because they don't know the area or doctors.  So my friends had to sell and be back where they started so they can take care of their parents.

Mrs. CMO and I thought about moving to a pro 2a state, but my current job doesn't allow me to do so.  But we will definitely retire on the mainland.  This way the income goes further and you can just drive from state to state to travel, instead of flying.

ren

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »
I'm in that situation with my parents and I'm single. My adopted brother don't help.
Deeds Not Words

robtmc

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »
I am sick of being in a place with nowhere to shoot, under the constant implied threat of firearm confiscation cannot even defend myself away from home.

That and the oppressive ultra-liberal environment have had me thinking of Arizona for months now..

Wife wants nothing to do with another move and tries to poo-pooh my issues with Hawaii.

Retired and own my house, but this political scene has me so pissed off.   Nothing but my wife to keep me here.

Told the wife i feel like i am behind enemy lines here, cannot say what i think for her fears I may offend.

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 11:20:01 AM »
I am sick of being in a place with nowhere to shoot, under the constant implied threat of firearm confiscation cannot even defend myself away from home.

That and the oppressive ultra-liberal environment have had me thinking of Arizona for months now..

Wife wants nothing to do with another move and tries to poo-pooh my issues with Hawaii.

Retired and own my house, but this political scene has me so pissed off.   Nothing but my wife to keep me here.

Told the wife i feel like i am behind enemy lines here, cannot say what i think for her fears I may offend.

Can sell the home here for buku dollars and rent in the mainland for way cheaper.  Then spend the rest of the profits on traveling or stupid stuff.

RSN172

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »
If I sold my home, I would not buy another even if I stayed in Hawaii.  On the mainland I would just rent or buy a used travel trailer that was designed for long term living.  On the Big Island I would buy a vacant lot which is cheap in Puna, and build a small house on a 8x24 ft flatbed trailer. 

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »
Moving to the mainland or even Japan is a thought in the back of my head often.

rklapp

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 09:05:15 AM »
I also know some who moved to the mainland and found out that they're assholes there, so they moved back to the aloha state.

Most of the lower cost of living states are red states. For that reason, many residents in blue states (mostly coastal) are moving to red states, especially after Trump's tax revisions and the aging population approaches retirement. One theory is that this will start to make red states more bluer as the urban centers start to expand.

Can sell the home here for buku dollars and rent in the mainland for way cheaper.  Then spend the rest of the profits on traveling or stupid stuff.
One option is to buy a RV and travel from state to state. My wife likes this idea, but she's never been camping before.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 09:54:22 AM »
I also know some who moved to the mainland and found out that they're assholes there, so they moved back to the aloha state.

Most of the lower cost of living states are red states. For that reason, many residents in blue states (mostly coastal) are moving to red states, especially after Trump's tax revisions and the aging population approaches retirement. One theory is that this will start to make red states more bluer as the urban centers start to expand.

That was 1 concern or that there's nothing to do compared to Hawaii where someone can go hiking , beach, or many diff types of food in a 2 mile radius.  But then I though, my daily activities are work and gym.  So as long as I can find a gym, then it's not an issue. I don't go hiking or to the beach.  Not a fan of the sun.  So my interaction with assholes would be very limited also due to staying home and watching TV or playing XBOX. 

rklapp

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »
Most of us (including Rocky and Dave) seem to move to Arizona. The heat is not a problem as long as you stay indoors. AC is life and everyone has one. When we lived in Vegas, I set the central AC to 76F all day and night. In the dry heat, it was very comfortable and electricity is relatively cheap.

I used to run a Folding program on my computer at 550W for a month for $50. That would be about $200 here.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

robtmc

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 04:41:42 PM »
That was 1 concern or that there's nothing to do compared to Hawaii where someone can go hiking , beach,
At least you have ranges at which to shoot.

On the BI, the saying is "all the good hikes start with a no trespassing sign"  Beaches are mostly dominated by the glitzy resorts, minimal parking.    Park in their lots, etc.

Nothing like North shore to be had.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:31:48 PM by robtmc »

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
Aleast can carry on certain hikins in NV. Just gotta watch out going into any buildings (restrooms).

Pretty cool to sling a SBR on a hike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old Guy

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 07:08:29 PM »
Howdy,
Sold our nice Kailua home.
We moved to a small Texas town(11,000+ pop).
Our new town is Clean, No homeless.
All the folks we've met Welcomed us to Texas.
We have enough land so we can shoot almost anytime anything we want.
So far we haven't met any anti 2a people.
Everyone we meet is Pro 2A, many have CC permits and do carry.
Never met so Many gun toting women like here.
We're less than 10 minutes from hospital, super market and Wal Mart.  Big box stores are 25 miles down the road.
The county road in front of our place is better than King St in front of Honolulu Hale. 
Police I've  met are pro 2A and will talk guns if they have time.
Nothing like being in a nice hotel restaurant and seeing lots of LEOs having their  meal break. 
Some smaller  town LE carry well worn 1911s in nice leather.  Definitely  ones Not to get into gunfight with.
Love the smell of country air after a rain.
We're  glad we were able to make the move from Hawaii to a politically  incorrect  Pro 2A environment.
Texas has lots of room for folks who are willing to accept it's  lifestyle.
Remenber, you have to change to Texas way of life.

RSN172

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 06:36:23 AM »
Wherever one decides to move, even to my neck of the woods on Hawaii Island.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »
Howdy,
Sold our nice Kailua home.
We moved to a small Texas town(11,000+ pop).
Our new town is Clean, No homeless.
All the folks we've met Welcomed us to Texas.
We have enough land so we can shoot almost anytime anything we want.
So far we haven't met any anti 2a people.
Everyone we meet is Pro 2A, many have CC permits and do carry.
Never met so Many gun toting women like here.
We're less than 10 minutes from hospital, super market and Wal Mart.  Big box stores are 25 miles down the road.
The county road in front of our place is better than King St in front of Honolulu Hale. 
Police I've  met are pro 2A and will talk guns if they have time.
Nothing like being in a nice hotel restaurant and seeing lots of LEOs having their  meal break. 
Some smaller  town LE carry well worn 1911s in nice leather.  Definitely  ones Not to get into gunfight with.
Love the smell of country air after a rain.
We're  glad we were able to make the move from Hawaii to a politically  incorrect  Pro 2A environment.
Texas has lots of room for folks who are willing to accept it's  lifestyle.
Remenber, you have to change to Texas way of life.

Hope you get to educate them on the shit hole and anti 2a Hawaii is.  I've met some people from pro 2A states and they didn't realize how anti Hawaii was.  But you don't want to preach either.  A fine balance of grumbling and awareness.

hvybarrels

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »
There is a great series of articles on Civil Beat about how crowded things have gotten and according to one of their polls a majority of residents feel as if the state is being run for the benefit of tourists at the expense of locals. It is true for me. Hiking is no longer fun because all the trails are swarmed thanks to instagram. At least I can still find uncrowded surf from time to time, but usually at the reefy sharky more dangerous spots that scare away the faint hearted.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/07/10-million-visitors-can-hawaii-survive-its-own-popularity/
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 02:13:01 PM »
Hiking is no longer fun because all the trails are swarmed thanks to instagram. At least I can still find uncrowded surf from time to time, but usually at the reefy sharky more dangerous spots that scare away the faint hearted.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/07/10-million-visitors-can-hawaii-survive-its-own-popularity/

Surf is uncrowded because it's harder to take a selfie.  1 has to buy a waterproof gopro or like camera.  And salt water melts make up.

6716J

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »

My wife agrees with your wife then... She wants to stay forever. And if the socio-economic-political climate was better, I would too (along with the rest of you) but I've already said I don't want to retire here.

I still have my house in Vegas and will more than likely go back to it or out to Texas if the Beto's don't screw it up.

We rent so I'm not too afraid to just walk away from it all. The good job puts me solidly at upper poverty line according to the newest estimates and in 40 years i should have enough saved for a down payment on a studio apartment in Makaha. 30 years after that I'll be king. I'll be dead or about 130, but who cares right?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

paka808

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 08:08:46 PM »
A few of my friends and family moved to las vegas they were hesitant at first but a couple years later and after buying houses(all of them)they said it was the best decision ever im planning to make the jump to vegas soon