Elk? (Read 3227 times)

myanmar1

Elk?
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »
Anyone here ever do a guided elk hunt? Looking for guide and location recommendations.
Want to do one next year, but don't want to break the bank doing it either. :shaka:
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” — Benjamin Franklin

drck1000

Re: Elk?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:49:42 AM »
Can't help you on guide service, but I am super interested if you end up doing a hunt like that.  I've watched tons of hunting shows on The Outdoor Channel and have always been amazed at what hunters have to go through to get animals like that.  I do have some contacts in Alaska if you're interested in hunting up there, but I have no personal experience with the actual hunting aspect.  Only contact with those who hunt up there and some have gone on guided hunts. 

Good luck!

Rocky

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
My B.I.L. is  a yearly "Elker".
I believe he goes up around Steamboat, CO (nearest po-dunk airport).
I'm sure he doesn't go on the cheap but I can ask him if you like.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

808Hunta

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:52:29 AM »
Aloha mynmar1,

I wish it were that easy LOL!

To be honest it comes down to what you want and what you are willing to do to get it so to speak.  Theres many different types of guided hunts horseback, mule, hike in, spike camp, tent camp, lodge, drive in access. Then you need to decide area as tags differ throughout the elk states. Cost also varies, what is your break the bank limit?  that will determine a lot in your research for guide services that you want etc.  Theres a lot of research that go  into these types of hunts as everyone is different.  And you started off right by asking questions.  Ive done a lot of hunting all over the world and one thing I can say is this, research is worth its weight in gold and then some when doing hunts abroad.  Now I mostly just do archery elk I love it!

I slowed way back on the elk hunts because I could hunt africa for similar cost and shoot much more animals.  Heaading back to africa next month! 

Wish you the best and hope you find what you are looking for, if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me. I will be on Lanai for the next week hopefully can get some venison for the freezer.

Aloha and happy hunting!

stangzilla

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »
Anyone here ever do a guided elk hunt? Looking for guide and location recommendations.
Want to do one next year, but don't want to break the bank doing it either. :shaka:

sounds like a fun adventure for sure
keep us updated on your plans   :shaka:

myanmar1

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:21:36 PM »
Thanks Hunta, i’m definitely trying to do my research.
Im leaning towards Montana and New Mexico areas. I’ve had a couple of recommendations from people i trust. But you are so right on the many different variables involved.
 :shaka:
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” — Benjamin Franklin

bojanglez

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »
make sure u get multiple references before you put down any deposit and find out if they are reputable. i know a guy that got screwed out of 5 grand bc he didnt do his hw and got set up with a shady outfit. rifle tags are harder to get than archery so if you hunt with a bow better chance at a better tag. you wont draw az nevada or utah anytime soon. colorado and idaho have otc options so thats where id look into if you want to go for sure. new mexico has no points so everyone has an equal shot but u wont know if youre going to draw either and the better the unit the lower the odds. most are under 50%. wy has a general tag but it takes 2 points now to draw. you can buy a point starting in july if you want. im not familiar with montana so much but i think they have a general tag. gohunt.com usually runs a free trial in the summer maybe join there mailing list and you can play around with seasons and draw odds for different weapons its super helpful and saves a ton of time vs goign through all the regs for the different states. also toprut.com isnt as intuitive as gohunt but you can get draw odds for free there too
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:19:40 PM by bojanglez »