What is the most rugged handgun made? (Read 14828 times)

antoinebugleboy

Re: What is the most rugged handgun made?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »
Someone on Youtube put a .40 S&W barrel in a Glock 32 (.357 SIG) and reports that it shoots better than the Glock 23 (.40 S&W).

Bonus. The .357 SIG magazine accepts .40 S&W rounds and vice versa!

Wait. As far as I know, the glock 23 and 32 are the exact same gun with a different barrel.

??? I don't know. I didn't fact check the guy's claim.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. - Heinlein

I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Rand

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

Colt808

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 02:44:35 AM »
While seeing is believing, I'd never base an opinion on anything seen on youtube. I don't know the types of rounds fired, how many, or if the firearm was maintained properly etc... Seriously, any firearm can fail if mistreated/abused.

For me, I'd take a 1911 over a Glock. It's a personal preference, but I just like having a handgun with the heft to bash someones face (should it come to that).
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. ~Thomas Paine

And I still see stupid people.

Pit808

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
Ok guys, don't lynch me for this, but since there were no conditions specified (zombie hordes, SHTF, WTFIGO (what the f*ck is going on))

I'm gonna say for simplicity sake and last foreverness (is that a word?)

TC contender. Stainless of course.  The frame/action is built to handle high power rifle calibers.

Unless your barrel or frame exploded, I bet you could still rig up some type of inline spring mechanism that would strike the firing pin if the internal action took a dump.

done and done

I'm all about KISS

Pit

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:35:20 AM by Pit808 »
chitty chitty bang bang.......

Cougar8045

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
Ok guys, don't lynch me for this, but since there were no conditions specified (zombie hordes, SHTF, WTFIGO (what the f*ck is going on))

TC contender. Stainless of course.  The frame/action is built to handle high power rifle calibers.

Unless your barrel or frame exploded, I bet you could still rig up some type of inline spring mechanism that would strike the firing pin if the internal action took a dump.

done and done

I'm all about KISS

Pit
You're pretty outside the box on that, but I think you're right.  I am impressed, sir.  The Contender wins!  /thread
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

vooduchikn

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
If you could only have one gun and it had to last you forever, without ever breaking.

Which gun would you choose?

Just for fun, let's say you could not ever fix it if it broke.

Which handgun do you think is the most durable and rugged one made?

done and done

I'm all about KISS

Pit

Doesn't meet the original intent of the poll, but it was on my list and right near the top (in .223 for ammo availability).  I would agree that TC are pretty rugged.
Relax, I've banned myself..

Pit808

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »
Sorry,
I was looking at it from the idea that you would not be able to fix it with "correct" parts or to normal working condition. if i didn't have parts availability that would have been my back up plan.
Pit

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:32:30 PM by Pit808 »
chitty chitty bang bang.......

vooduchikn

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »
Sorry,
I was looking at it from the idea that you would not be able to fix it with "correct" parts. As in two centuries from now you wouldn't have parts availability.
Pit

No need to apologize. The best thing I could think of was a single shot rifle or shotgun (maybe a dbl brrl).  Most autos are complex.

After much thought, I am going to have to go with my Glock. Hasn't failed once in about 8k on my 22 and 10k on another.
Relax, I've banned myself..

nf9648

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
Just about any .357 sig chambered gun on the market can accept a .40 barrel and function with the same mags.  Ive seen Glock frame rails fail under normal use with lvl 3 retention (twist release) holsters, which is why a Glock isnt my first pic for this scenario.  I would probably take a 9mm hi power or Sig.

Vladimir

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:39 PM »
To throw my hat into "guns blowing up" arena,  youtube videos are highly suspect. I remember a Taurus video on the Raging Bull 500 where the owner shows it blowing up by rigging it to a stand and firing with a string. He later posted that he intentionally made it blow up by blocking/plugging the barrel; there were also comments on the stand's effects on a revolver etc.

I too have read the reports of Glocks blowing up but seeing is believing for the most part. As someone mentioned, Glocks are among the most common pistols out there, you are bound to have people who hate them and will go internet-commando and begin smearing the company's name and quality.

kong

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 10:54:17 AM »
Any gun will blow up provided the ammunition is loaded hot.  Specific manufacturers have even had recalls due to overpressure.  Additionally, the reason why a Glock would be more susceptible to KB's is due to an unsupported chamber and being able to fire "slightly out of battery."  Change your barrel to a Barsto if you feel so inclined but most issues are related to ammo. 

Growler67

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »
I have over ~25K rounds through my Sig P226 that I bought while stationed in Germany.  Though it still sees range time (I don't believe in safe queens), my go to would be my P228.  All of my Sigs are German made.
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfection is an Ideal and thus cannot exist in the real world. To seek perfection is to set yourself up for failure. Instead, strive for Excellence. Excellence is an attainable goal - Coach George Yamamoto, Mililani High School, RIP

GZire

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:33 AM »
Good lord, 25,000 rounds!!!!

Growler67

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 08:43:19 AM »
Good lord, 25,000 rounds!!!!

Over 20~ years.
Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfection is an Ideal and thus cannot exist in the real world. To seek perfection is to set yourself up for failure. Instead, strive for Excellence. Excellence is an attainable goal - Coach George Yamamoto, Mililani High School, RIP