Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences (Read 31108 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2021, 12:52:51 PM »
Reasons for Romeo1 Pro on RXP
Comes with rear sight built into optic (no need buy suppressor sights) a big savings.  And handgun comes with suppressor front sight.

Looks cooler than the holosun

Other than that, I was gonna go holosun.  The issue im also reading about is that the SIG RDS are proprietary to SIG guns.  But I'm sure you can find a plate for it somewhere.

I was gonna go holosun on the Walther PDP, but after reading that their slide mill has nothing sticking out of it to help absorb recoil stress, I'm gonna wait to see if they fix it.  Currently the milled optics ready portion is flat.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:03:14 PM by changemyoil66 »

rpoL98

« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2021, 12:58:33 PM »
being somewhat of a traditionalist, i'm not going to put a dot on any of my revolvers or 1911's.  but that's just me.  i could change my mind down the road
could be the next big thing, "Optic-Ready Revolver"?  maybe not from S&W or Colt, but some company like Taurus.

drck1000

« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2021, 01:04:17 PM »
Inspector had a red dot on one of his revolvers.   ;D

I don’t have a desire for an RDS 1911, but not against one. I’d love to have a CZ Shadow or Tangfo with RDS.

stangzilla

« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »
Inspector had a red dot on one of his revolvers.   ;D

I don’t have a desire for an RDS 1911, but not against one. I’d love to have a CZ Shadow or Tangfo with RDS.

i remember it was on his Super Redhawk 454 if i remember correctly

drck1000

« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »

I have a Ruger Redhawk.  That is one gun that is safe from being "red dotted".   ;D

Inspector

« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2021, 01:45:19 PM »

Yes, and I have one of my 627. I just took one off one of my target 22’s.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Glasser

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »
The issue im also reading about is that the SIG RDS are proprietary to SIG guns.  But I'm sure you can find a plate for it somewhere.

CH Precision makes plates for the SIGs so you can other than Romeo.

https://chpws.com

drck1000

« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2021, 01:32:39 PM »
That is good pricing, normal is about $700.
Really?  I thought the "competitive rate" was in the $500-550 range with sales down to $450ish and occasionally down to $400.  Or at least that's what I've seen online and locally on occasion.  Primary Arms is usually pretty good on pricing and availability though. 

drck1000

« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2022, 11:38:11 AM »
CMO - Continuing in topic appropriate thread. 

No, 1911 got pushed to the top. Instead of RDSing my VP9 (only handgun I own), I'm gonna get a new gun and RDS that one. I don't want to buy a 6th and 7th holster for her (OWB and IWB). Gonna wait till EO Tech's RDS comes out and see the reviews on that. I don't like removing the optic to change the battery.  And EOTech is more tacticool than Holosun.  But let's see the price comparison.  She warrior poet MR comes with a Holosun so ready to rock n roll out of the box. G19 clone.
Interesting.  First I read/heard about the EoTech RDS.  At MSRP of $389, that would be pretty competitive in between say the Trijicon and Leupold lines and Holosun.  I'm personally wary of a first gen/iteration product.  Seems like (at least from what I read) they are in the running for contract for the M17 pistol.  Is that why you are interested? 

I looked into costs to mill a slide and for me, I would rather go with a run with RMR ready slide from a mfr.  There are a bunch now.  I think only Glock MOS was available when I was looking.  Now Glock, VP9, multiple CZ, PPQ, and lots more to choose from. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »
CMO - Continuing in topic appropriate thread. 
Interesting.  First I read/heard about the EoTech RDS.  At MSRP of $389, that would be pretty competitive in between say the Trijicon and Leupold lines and Holosun.  I'm personally wary of a first gen/iteration product.  Seems like (at least from what I read) they are in the running for contract for the M17 pistol.  Is that why you are interested? 

I looked into costs to mill a slide and for me, I would rather go with a run with RMR ready slide from a mfr.  There are a bunch now.  I think only Glock MOS was available when I was looking.  Now Glock, VP9, multiple CZ, PPQ, and lots more to choose from.

Seen it's release at SHOT Show. I agree, gen 1 stuff usually has more defects that need to be ironed out.  I'm in no rush to RDS.  Although I do see the huge advantage cause at many of the skill builders, most are running them.  It's going the way of RDS on a rifle. 100% people during a carbine SB are running some kind of optic. Iron sights are the way of the dodo.

The Romeo1 by SIG was another contender, but to get the plate is an issue last I was looking about a year ago. I'm sure there are people who make them for various guns, but that just adds to the cost.

Like I said above, my main focus is the 1911 right now. My LGS is gonna bid on GB for me since I already put down a deposit and his supplier ain't happening.  I gave him a $ to not exceed plus like $100 finders fee. 

I'm not RDSing the 1911. IMO, it just looks stupid.

rpoL98

« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2022, 08:13:38 PM »
I'm not RDSing the 1911. IMO, it just looks stupid.
the smaller RMSc-footprint red dots might not look so obtrusive on the svelt lines of the 1911.  like the holosun 507K or similar.

some random picture from a DuckDuckGo search:

drck1000

« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2022, 11:42:06 PM »
Not looking for a new handgun, but this is tempting. Form, function, and utility.

changemyoil66

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2022, 04:57:00 PM »
Walther PDP now coming with engraved and not a flat RDS surface. Which is why i dissmissed this gun. Too much front to back, side to side posibility even though walther says NP.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2022, 07:40:00 AM »
Walther PDP now coming with engraved and not a flat RDS surface. Which is why i dissmissed this gun. Too much front to back, side to side posibility even though walther says NP.

Yeah.  If you're going to do something, do it right.  Seems like they are a little late to the party and wanting to show innovation.

drck1000

« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2022, 09:13:04 AM »
Getting back into shooting more consistently now, right as the "north facing" ranges are going to be shut down until end of Sept. . .  :(

Was able to hit the bullseye range this past weekend and changed battery on two of my RMRs and rezero.  They are essentially the same Glock 19s, different models from the same builder.  One RMR was fine after battery replacement, and the other needed some adjustment.  Might have been rust showing, as the gun that needed adjustment was the first I shot for the day.  I seemed to get into a groove and things tightened up after a while. 

Some highlights:
1) I was surprised at the amount of crud that I found under the optic, above and below the RMR seal plate.  I think mostly range dust and stuff.  I have shot these pistols in a number of classes and training, but I was still surprised as how much crap got under the body of the RMR.

2) I checked the set screw on the rear sight of both guns and the mounting screws for the RMR prior to hitting the range.  The set screw of one of the guns wasn't tight.  The RMR mount screw on one side of one gun was a little loose, or I could tighten easily.  Not worried about the set screws for the rear sights as I fitted the rear sights pretty snug and takes a decent amount of force to drift the sights.  However, the RMR mount screws is something I'll have to watch.  The screws I used for the initial install had some thread locker applied from the mounting screw supplier, but I am guessing it broke down.  After changing the battery and zero-ing, I put witness marks on the RMR mounting screws and the elevation and windage dials. 

3) Seeing a LOT more pistols with RDS at the range lately.  Great to see.  That said, I also will need to be sure to put in more time shooting irons along the way as well. 

WTF?Shane

« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2022, 02:41:30 PM »
Getting back into shooting more consistently now, right as the "north facing" ranges are going to be shut down until end of Sept. . .  :(

Was able to hit the bullseye range this past weekend and changed battery on two of my RMRs and rezero.  They are essentially the same Glock 19s, different models from the same builder.  One RMR was fine after battery replacement, and the other needed some adjustment.  Might have been rust showing, as the gun that needed adjustment was the first I shot for the day.  I seemed to get into a groove and things tightened up after a while. 

Some highlights:
1) I was surprised at the amount of crud that I found under the optic, above and below the RMR seal plate.  I think mostly range dust and stuff.  I have shot these pistols in a number of classes and training, but I was still surprised as how much crap got under the body of the RMR.

2) I checked the set screw on the rear sight of both guns and the mounting screws for the RMR prior to hitting the range.  The set screw of one of the guns wasn't tight.  The RMR mount screw on one side of one gun was a little loose, or I could tighten easily.  Not worried about the set screws for the rear sights as I fitted the rear sights pretty snug and takes a decent amount of force to drift the sights.  However, the RMR mount screws is something I'll have to watch.  The screws I used for the initial install had some thread locker applied from the mounting screw supplier, but I am guessing it broke down.  After changing the battery and zero-ing, I put witness marks on the RMR mounting screws and the elevation and windage dials. 

3) Seeing a LOT more pistols with RDS at the range lately.  Great to see.  That said, I also will need to be sure to put in more time shooting irons along the way as well.

1. Do you use a sealing plate?

2. Do you use thread locker? What type?

drck1000

« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2022, 02:48:12 PM »
1. Do you use a sealing plate?

2. Do you use thread locker? What type?
1. Yup, used Trijicon's sealing plates for both guns.  All my guns with RMR.
2. Not sure on original.  I'm not sure.  I think for the set screw I used a medium/blue thread locker, but not Loctite brand.  Can't say for sure what I used on the original mounting screws for the RMR, but the screws did have the remnants of threadlocker.   

When remounting, I used 242.  I have VC3 and I also have 222 coming.  I have used 242 on pretty much all my firearms when applying threadlocker.  I typically put witness marks on stuff like the screws for iron signs and optic mounts for my AR, but never put witness marks on pistol stuff before.   

changemyoil66

« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2022, 03:17:11 PM »
I knew we had a rds thread. I searched in tools. No focus.