Pu’uloa and or SRGC (Read 21790 times)

Rhed

Pu’uloa and or SRGC
« on: August 16, 2019, 12:50:21 AM »
Are these the only range that can shoot further then 100 yrds here in Oahu? I just want to shoot past 100 yrds. Practice kind, no competition. But seems like a lot of process just to go to these ranges. Is it difficult to join or shoot there? My wife only has a CAC card. She works part time at Shafter. But her card can get us in all the bases. That’s about it though.

Gunguy808

Re: Pu’uloa and or SRGC
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:11:39 AM »
Puuloa is the only range I know of where you can shoot past 100 oh and Schofield you best bet is Schofield . What type of CAC is it. Is she a contractor or a GS or NAF it all depends.

zippz

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 06:36:17 AM »
SRGC allows for military (active and retired) and DOD civilians to join the club.  People with base access but not one of those, like contractors, are not eligible.  There is a way for civilians to join but there's probably a long waiting list.  Members must perform volunteer service or pay a higher membership fee.  You must apply for membership at their monthly Wednesday club meeting.  Members can bring a guest.  Weapons have to be registered on base.  This is from what I know from a few years ago so it may have changed. I haven't shot there for a while. Their regular range allowed for shooting at 200 or 300 yards I think and a few times a year they have the 1000 yard range.  www.srgchi.org

I RSO the Puuloa club and we do a structured practice or competition one weekend a month at the 200, 300, 500, and 600 yards.  Only calibers allowed are 5.56x45/223, 7.62x51/308win, and 3006.  We have memberships available for active/retired military, Dod employees, and provide civilian memberships for our volunteers and regular shooters.  We only charge $20 for membership and dot have a volunteer requirement, but we do need volunteers.  All weapons must be registered at the Kaneohe MCBH provost Marshall and it will be checked prior to practice.  Members can sponsor civilians for the practices with myself, teichi, Ren and others willing to help out others here.   www.puuloa.com.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 06:41:29 AM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 08:24:26 AM »
SRGC for casual shooting beyond 100 yards
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »
I used to be a member of SRGC and it was fun, but too much in fighting and BS that I stopped renewing.  Mostly the forced volunteer and higher fees imposed.  I mean I was good with the volunteer stuff as I was RSO for many years prior to implementation of the fees.  But then I got busy and if I wasn't shooting, I felt that I shouldn't have to volunteer.  There were so many that didn't do their volunteer hours and took advantage of the open ranges, so I get it.  Then there was the whole tattling of groups reporting on each other BS.  So not worth it for me.

Anyways, but yeah, the open range days allowed up to 500 yards at SRs, but mostly people shot 50-100 yards.  There were some range days where range control would set limits at 100 and some they allowed out to 500.  The 500 days were rare and you were limited as to when you could set up and take down your targets. 

The KR ranges used to facilitate 1000 yard, and even further at times.  That was rare though, but was fun.   ;D

Anyways, what rifle/caliber are you thinking of shooting at those ranges?  For me, was just to test my .308.  Nothing special. 

Rhed

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:18:54 AM »
I used to be a member of SRGC and it was fun, but too much in fighting and BS that I stopped renewing.  Mostly the forced volunteer and higher fees imposed.  I mean I was good with the volunteer stuff as I was RSO for many years prior to implementation of the fees.  But then I got busy and if I wasn't shooting, I felt that I shouldn't have to volunteer.  There were so many that didn't do their volunteer hours and took advantage of the open ranges, so I get it.  Then there was the whole tattling of groups reporting on each other BS.  So not worth it for me.

Anyways, but yeah, the open range days allowed up to 500 yards at SRs, but mostly people shot 50-100 yards.  There were some range days where range control would set limits at 100 and some they allowed out to 500.  The 500 days were rare and you were limited as to when you could set up and take down your targets. 

The KR ranges used to facilitate 1000 yard, and even further at times.  That was rare though, but was fun.   ;D

Anyways, what rifle/caliber are you thinking of shooting at those ranges?  For me, was just to test my .308.  Nothing special.
I only have 556/233 and 308. Don’t wanna go any thing else bigger then 308 for if any more future purchases. And I’m only running gassers atm. But,  later thinking of a bolt.
I’m willing to do whatever help for volunteer work. And also been hearing other not so good stories with SRGC. So that’s gonna be out for me. I’m a pretty cool guy to get along with. So maybe I can hook up with one of you guys from Pu’uloa regs. Haven’t been shooting lately at the Koko head range. But will soon as soon as my teens marching band stuffs ends in couple of months. Maybe then I’ll touch base. I’m planning on going to the range Labor Day weekend. Hopefully can meet up with one of you guys there. Really wanna try shooting pass 100. Must be fun.. Thanks brotha’s

zippz

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »
Printout the ballistics charts for your load, a good one is https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml or there's apps like shooter or strelok on the phone.

Also learn about calculating and adjusting for wind.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Rhed

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 07:15:11 AM »
Printout the ballistics charts for your load, a good one is https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml or there's apps like shooter or strelok on the phone.

Also learn about calculating and adjusting for wind.

I have to study each values in these calculators. Some I don’t understand. What about https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/
is that a good calculator?

ren

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
there may be a shoot next week at Puuloa. They are looking for people to run the range. You have to register your firearms with eh Marines first. The procedure is outline in the Competition section
Deeds Not Words

Rhed

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 02:15:22 PM »
there may be a shoot next week at Puuloa. They are looking for people to run the range. You have to register your firearms with eh Marines first. The procedure is outline in the Competition section

How ironic.. Had to take my truck in for service at Firestone in KMCBH. My friend now manages that Firestone location now. So had to bring all documents and id’s to get enrolled in DBIDS. My wife with the CAC card did the sponsor. But after reading this, I went to the competition section. Read https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=33937.0 and realized I did enroll this morning. Now, what’s the next step? Do I bring my gun registration and/or the gun to register at the same place I enrolled?

ren

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 02:38:28 PM »
How ironic.. Had to take my truck in for service at Firestone in KMCBH. My friend now manages that Firestone location now. So had to bring all documents and id’s to get enrolled in DBIDS. My wife with the CAC card did the sponsor. But after reading this, I went to the competition section. Read https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=33937.0 and realized I did enroll this morning. Now, what’s the next step? Do I bring my gun registration and/or the gun to register at the same place I enrolled?

Teichi is a the Club President. The Club needs to submit your name to the base for registration then when they get it you take your gun registration docs and I believe you take them to the MPs or Provost Marshall's office.
Deeds Not Words

rpoL98

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »
pic shows ranges that SRGC uses, not including the skeet range.

KR3 sometimes has some steel silhouettes out beyond 500yds, target objects out at 1,000yds.  or you pick out a light-colored rock way, way out there, and see how you do.  look for the dirt splash. max caliber 50BMG. 
KR4 is about 60yds max for posting a paper target stand.  rifle & pistol combined.  max caliber 7.62 rifle, .45 pistol.  KR4 is probably the most frequently-used range for SRGC.
SRGC usage of CR1 has been scarce the last few years due to some Army reorganization, allocation & prioritization.

The Army has been allowing SRGC access to KR3 couple times a month, sometimes more, sometimes less, for the last couple years, depends on the Army training requirements which have priority over club use.  And then it comes down to whether the club can come up with the qualified volunteers to staff the session.

As mentioned above, SRGC is open to Active Duty military, retired military, current and retired DOD civilians.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:51:37 PM by rpoL98 »

ren

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »
SRGC allows for military (active and retired) and DOD civilians to join the club.  People with base access but not one of those, like contractors, are not eligible.  There is a way for civilians to join but there's probably a long waiting list.  Members must perform volunteer service or pay a higher membership fee.  You must apply for membership at their monthly Wednesday club meeting.  Members can bring a guest.  Weapons have to be registered on base.  This is from what I know from a few years ago so it may have changed. I haven't shot there for a while. Their regular range allowed for shooting at 200 or 300 yards I think and a few times a year they have the 1000 yard range.  www.srgchi.org

I RSO the Puuloa club and we do a structured practice or competition one weekend a month at the 200, 300, 500, and 600 yards.  Only calibers allowed are 5.56x45/223, 7.62x51/308win, and 3006.  We have memberships available for active/retired military, Dod employees, and provide civilian memberships for our volunteers and regular shooters.  We only charge $20 for membership and dot have a volunteer requirement, but we do need volunteers.  All weapons must be registered at the Kaneohe MCBH provost Marshall and it will be checked prior to practice.  Members can sponsor civilians for the practices with myself, teichi, Ren and others willing to help out others here.   www.puuloa.com.

Im no longer a member.
Deeds Not Words

zippz

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 07:39:14 PM »
Practices are on for this weekend.  Saturday is block time at the 200, 300, 500, and 600 yardline.  Sunday is practicing the highpower 800agg course of fire.

I'll be RSO on Saturday.  Marine Corps firearms registration forms will be checked at range control in the morning.

raudi

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 07:47:08 PM »
Practices are on for this weekend.  Saturday is block time at the 200, 300, 500, and 600 yardline.  Sunday is practicing the highpower 800agg course of fire.

I'll be RSO on Saturday.  Marine Corps firearms registration forms will be checked at range control in the morning.

im interested in joining do you guys need to submit my info to Kbay first?

Teichi

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 08:23:50 PM »
You need to be added to the access request roster, cleared by the PMO, register your rifle and vehicle with the PMO, then you can participate in the Pu'uloa Club shoots.

rpoL98

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »
just as an example, SRGC had KR3 three times sofar this month (Sept), unstructured informal plinking.  KR3 is the 1,000yd range, well, maybe a little bit longer, probably about 1,300yds is the max.

Rhed

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »
KR3 is a really nice range. Can’t wait to try it out. Though like I said, I never shot pass 200 before. And that plate you were shooting, man what’s that about 600? Thats a long ways. And yet that range goes up to 1K+? Thinking of investing in a rangefinder after and if all goes well with my app.  Will be checking schedule for this weekend to drop off apps if KR3 opens up again. Thanks again rpo.. see you soon at the range again.. :shaka:

rpoL98

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
KR3.