Pu’uloa and or SRGC (Read 21213 times)

drck1000

Re: Pu’uloa and or SRGC
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
KR3.

Nice!  What rifle/caliber were you shooting? 

rpoL98

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 09:34:46 PM »
I was trying out a new 6.5CM AR-10 build, but was also casually plinking with my 20" 5.56 AR-15, 77gr ammo.  In the past, usually 308 AR-10.

Rhed

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 09:35:37 PM »
I was trying out a new 6.5CM AR-10 build, but was also casually plinking with my 20" 5.56 AR-15, 77gr ammo.  In the past, usually 308 AR-10.
CR2 side is nice too. Went there this past Saturday. Man, KR3, CR2 really nice range.

tim808

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 01:22:59 PM »
Re Puuloa:
I think I read about some places where active duty personnel can be paid to do the “volunteer” work like working the target pits and other duties.

Kind of like MPPL, where you don’t have to help set up or take down if you pay a higher fee.

I can’t recall if that was recent or from decades ago.  I think I was reading about a range on the mainland.

I wouldn’t mind helping out our boys with some extra cash and I’d tip them too for doing my “volunteer” work.

I have nothing against volunteering (I help at the ssf every year) but I work 6 days a week and Sundays do housework/yard work and also do the yard work at my in laws place too.  So I don’t have a lot free time to volunteer.

Is this something that is allowed at Puuloa?

zippz

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 03:47:29 PM »
Re Puuloa:
I think I read about some places where active duty personnel can be paid to do the “volunteer” work like working the target pits and other duties.

Kind of like MPPL, where you don’t have to help set up or take down if you pay a higher fee.

I can’t recall if that was recent or from decades ago.  I think I was reading about a range on the mainland.

I wouldn’t mind helping out our boys with some extra cash and I’d tip them too for doing my “volunteer” work.

I have nothing against volunteering (I help at the ssf every year) but I work 6 days a week and Sundays do housework/yard work and also do the yard work at my in laws place too.  So I don’t have a lot free time to volunteer.

Is this something that is allowed at Puuloa?

We need beach guards and Medics to run the range.  $80 for the day which usually starts at 7am and ends between 11am to 2pm depending on the program.  You will need a DBIDS card for base access.  You can email the club for the details.  puuloaclub@gmail.com
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

tim808

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019, 07:43:15 PM »
Thanks Zipps!!

rpoL98

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 05:02:59 PM »
Schofield CR2

rpoL98

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2022, 07:09:58 PM »
ho-hum, just another beautiful day at KR3.

white silhouette "7" is at 680 yds.  most times, the silhouettes aren't out.  so usually we hunt for hostile boulders.

that light-colored rock in the middle of that pyramid-shaped dirt slide, left of center, is 1,530yds.  6.5CM aspirations.

a few more hostile boulders.  some boulders give a decent dust signature, if it's not raining.  Boulder on the right with white paint is about 1,000yds.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 04:00:23 PM by rpoL98 »

rpoL98

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2022, 04:17:13 PM »
https://www.srgchi.org/

SRGC has a program where unaffiliated ordinary Joe-Blow-off-the-street civilians can acquire membership, "Provisional Associate Member", requires 36hrs of volunteer hours for first 2 years (or 24hrs for first 3 yrs), most often fulfilled by volunteering as RSO or eventually as Range OIC.  A couple of PAM openings are available at this time.  Believe me, hitting the hours requirement is pretty easy once you get qualified as RSO, or eventually OIC.  Training is provided by currently-qualified club members.

yeah, a shameless plug.  Without range volunteers, we can't open the ranges (note: plural) for shooting.

KR4 is where the club pistoleros and CQB LARPers hang out.   ;D   just kidding, we love them all.  it's about 75yds, static shooting positions only, so not really LARPing.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 07:41:12 PM by rpoL98 »

Rhed

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2022, 11:32:23 AM »
rpoL98.. hopefully I can make it out there at kr3 this coming weekend if I don’t work  :wacko:. Gonna try shoot some of my .308 reloads. I’ve managed a good accurate recipe for 155 Palma’s clocking in at 2958 fps with just a slight flattened primer ( no sharp edges). It should take me supersonic out to 1300 yards according to the ballistic calculator. Anyways, hope to see you there. Btw, I don’t see any range dates for next weekend?

ren

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2022, 01:06:18 PM »
Puuloa has e targets by Silver Mountain

https://www.silvermountaintargets.com/
Deeds Not Words

Rhed

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2022, 01:41:57 PM »
Puuloa has e targets by Silver Mountain

https://www.silvermountaintargets.com/
Nice! How far does that silver mountain target range go out too? And is it still caliber specific at Pu’uloa? That’s a nice target, especially for prs.

rpoL98

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2022, 02:57:43 PM »
rpoL98.. hopefully I can make it out there at kr3 this coming weekend if I don’t work  :wacko:. Gonna try shoot some of my .308 reloads. I’ve managed a good accurate recipe for 155 Palma’s clocking in at 2958 fps with just a slight flattened primer ( no sharp edges). It should take me supersonic out to 1300 yards according to the ballistic calculator. Anyways, hope to see you there. Btw, I don’t see any range dates for next weekend?
@Rhed
correct, no range dates for next weekend (Aug 20, 21).  Today (14th) was last range date for August.  Will have to see what we get for September.  Today was another beautiful day at KR3, no rain, nice breeze ("wind estimation challenge").  Some guys were challenging themselves with targets out past 1,500yds.  Closest silhouette today was at 590yds.

ren

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2022, 03:07:16 PM »
Nice! How far does that silver mountain target range go out too? And is it still caliber specific at Pu’uloa? That’s a nice target, especially for prs.

All the way throughout the max range use of 600 yards. No need for spotter and very little target service. As you can read from website, it also plots your shots, groups and velocity strings. All you need is a tablet or other mobile device with an internet browser. Yes. Calibers are limited to .223, .308, 30/06
Deeds Not Words

Rhed

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2022, 04:28:10 PM »
@Rhed
correct, no range dates for next weekend (Aug 20, 21).  Today (14th) was last range date for August.  Will have to see what we get for September.  Today was another beautiful day at KR3, no rain, nice breeze ("wind estimation challenge").  Some guys were challenging themselves with targets out past 1,500yds.  Closest silhouette today was at 590yds.
On your last photo you took, have you ever tried ranging the white target that’s further back? I did the last time I was there with my son. It was at least 1800+ yrds. I don’t know how accurate my 2800.com rangefinder was that day I range it since it was almost midday and lots of miraging. Next time I come out, I’m gonna range it with my 1550nm rated rangefinder. If it’s so, something for you 6.5 guys or magnum cartridges. .308? No chance.. 😂 Btw, is the steel targets still out there?

rpoL98

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2022, 06:45:03 PM »
On your last photo you took, have you ever tried ranging the white target that’s further back? I did the last time I was there with my son. It was at least 1800+ yrds. I don’t know how accurate my 2800.com rangefinder was that day I range it since it was almost midday and lots of miraging. Next time I come out, I’m gonna range it with my 1550nm rated rangefinder. If it’s so, something for you 6.5 guys or magnum cartridges. .308? No chance.. 😂 Btw, is the steel targets still out there?

@Rhed
yeah, I think that's the one that they were shooting at today.  my range finder didn't pick it up.  yup, the steel targets were still out there today.  but who knows about next time...  it's all good, just lucky to have a place we can shot beyond 100 yds.

Rhed

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2022, 08:23:04 PM »
@rpoL98
Agreed.. I miss the pop ups. But really it’s nice to hear the report (ping) from the steel targets. What really makes it fun is that these targets are unknown distance. Having a rangefinder is a must out there. I cheat a lot, range it, then the Kestrel gives the fire solution  :geekdanc:.. The last time my son and I was there, I ranged a steel target at 820 if I remember. Gave the solution to my son, then he was pinging that steel (at the top) shot after shot with his reloads of 77gr smk. Seeing and hearing  my son giggle each time was priceless. I need to record the shot through my spotting scope. I can see the heat trail from the bullet. It was fun..

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 02:27:19 PM by Rhed »

Teichi

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »
Pu'uloa yesterday. We had more Marines jump in with us. The day started slow, but we were able to get everyone trigger time out to 600 yards.

Teichi

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2022, 10:23:01 AM »
Spent Sunday changing the backing of our targets in preparation for our next CMP EIC match on 18 September.

Teichi

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2022, 02:31:14 PM »
It was a good weekend on Pu'uloa A Range. We completed another CMP EIC Match. The weather was mostly fair with light winds and some light showers.