Good powder for a comp pistol? (Read 516 times)

Rhed

Good powder for a comp pistol?
« on: March 18, 2024, 09:47:36 PM »
What is a good powder for a comp pistol in 9mm? I’ve read around using certain powders to maximize the comp. Like a +p load or something. Slow or fast burning powders? I don’t know, cause I never did reload for pistol before. Only rifle I reload. But I figured I like try so I ordered the dies already since components is available for pistol now. I’m not competing or anything, so I’m not worried about pf.

randay

Re: Good powder for a comp pistol?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 07:00:35 PM »
comp like a compensator? so you want a load that will create a lot of gas so the effect from the compensator is uh.. more? interesting concept. sorry I have no suggestions tho lol.

Tex

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:38:00 PM »
Winchester Autocomp seems like it was made for that. Young Guns had it a couple months ago.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/winchester-autocomp/

Rhed

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 07:00:00 AM »
Winchester Autocomp seems like it was made for that. Young Guns had it a couple months ago.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/winchester-autocomp/
Oh nice Tex, thanks. Gonna check our lgs if any of them have in stock.  :shaka:

jase90

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 09:54:45 PM »
Ive made some really spicy loads using CFE Pistol and Ramshot Silouhette. They are in the slower side of common 9mm powders along with AutoComp and will probably give you the effects you're looking for when loaded on the top end.

The difference is night and day when fired through a Radian Ramjet Afterburner Comp on a Glock 19 when compared to a faster powder like Titegroup, Accurate No 2 or Bulleye.

I prefer Silouhette. Ive had better accuracy between the two. It is hard to come by though. I didnt find it in any of the LGSs a few years ago so I did a group buy from powder valley with some coworkers.