Silhouette matches at Koko Head - 2021 info & invitation (Read 1980 times)

tommynauw

Silhouette matches at Koko Head - 2021 info & invitation
« on: April 19, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
I’m not seeing much info on HMSSA matches here so I thought I’d post the latest news.

There are 2 match types:
Small Bore: this is 22LR only using a rifle or a pistol. Pistols are typically single shot bolt action, rather than Buckmarks and the like.
Big Bore: this is pretty much any cartridge fired from a pistol. Can be a revolver or a single shot bolt action (like a Remington XP-100).

Small Bore matches are held on the 1st Sunday of the month and start at 9ish.
Per calendar: 5/2, 6/6, 7/4, 8/8, 9/5, 10/3, 11/7, 12/5

The small bore match info below is an edited copy from an old post by Teichi.

The Silhouette Range opens at 0800 if you want to get in some practice before the match. Cost is only $5 and it covers all day range fees, match fee and lunch (must compete to eat). When you register at the booth, declare that you will shoot the match and your fees are waived until match registration. All shooters and spectators are required to wear eye and hearing protection.

A total of 40 rounds must be fired. Range commands are electronic. The course of fire is in 4 stages. Each stage of fire is 10 shots per yard line, fired in two strings of five rounds, with 2 minutes to fire each string of 5.

Targets: 10 chickens at 25 yards, 10 pigs at 50 yards, 10 turkeys at 75 yards, and 10 rams at 100 yards. Swinging targets are set up for sighting in and practice.

All rifle shooting is shot from the unsupported standing position. Pistol shooting is done from the Creedmoor position or unsupported prone. Rifles are classified by “light” (under 8 lbs) and “heavy” (8 lbs and over) with or without optics. Match rifles are not really required. Any safe and reliable .22 that can hold 4” groups at 100 yards may be used. Shooters may enter more than one category, but must pay an additional $5 per gun.

Competitors are expected to help set up the targets unless you exhibit a serious medical condition. Lunch is provided, but potluck side dishes and snacks are welcome.
[thank you Teichi for most of that]

Big Bore matches are held on the 3rd Sunday of the month and start at 9ish.
Per calendar: 5/16, 6/20, 7/18, 8/22, 9/19, 10/17, 11/21, 12/19
Big bore proceeds the same as small bore. Register, pay fee, sight in/practice on swingers, shoot targets, reset targets, eat lunch.

Targets: 10 chickens at 50 yards, 10 pigs at 100 yards, 10 turkeys at 150 yards, and 10 rams at 200 yards.

Hope to you see you out there. Good times.

Teichi

Re: Silhouette matches at Koko Head - 2021 info & invitation
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:08:33 PM »
Thanks for this bump. I've been busy pushing the Pu'uloa and Chinese Gun Club Competitions. I'll be back to shooting small bore silhouette next month.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 12:30:15 PM »
It's great to have matches again.
But wasn't there some stipulations about having social gatherings and pot luck?
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/04/12/youth-sports-oahu-can-officially-resume-with-covid-restrictions/
What, Me Worry?

tommynauw

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 10:59:55 AM »
The past 2 months the crowd is minimal and everyone wears a mask except at chow time. It's been plenty windy too, and coming off the range. The air doesn't get much fresher.