city prepping and the author of the survival medical guide have a youtube series (Read 1997 times)

macsak

there's a new edition of the guide that was just released, and i picked it up off of amazon

macsak

AmbuBadger

I watch his as well as other channels, and I wholeheartedly agree with your advice of preparing to handle your own medical/trauma needs now before things get bad. Also, get healthy. We go to so many calls where patients tell us they're healthy then give us a laundry list of meds that they must take in order to "stay healthy." Not the same thing. While you're on YouTube, look up Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Robert Lustig, they have lectures on how fasting and cutting out sugars can help you stay healthy as well as discuss the dangers of processed and fast foods.

hvybarrels

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

AmbuBadger

^^ that's always been a thing. If the care home/family cannot take the pt from the ICU, they cannot be discharged; if they cannot be discharged, the ER can't send recent admits upstairs; if the ER is stuck with them, hospital goes on reroute and everyone else coming by POV either sits in triage or charge RN bumps a less serious pt to a hallway bed. Hawaii media making big deal about existing problem as always. Heck, when I got in EMS nearly twenty years ago, the running joke was Pali Momi was Hawaiian for "reroute."

too long/didn't read version? Stock up on first-aid supplies and OTC meds now, and learn what you can on basic wound care. Everyone loves to focus on the active shooter stuff and carry TQs and airway goodies, but the reality of a grid-down situation is you're going to need to know how to change dressings and recognize infection after you've dragged your battle buddy back from that shootout at Iwilei Costco.

hvybarrels

With the Inflation Exacerbation Act passing today maybe it's a good time to buy some medical kit while the money is still worth something.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

AmbuBadger

With the Inflation Exacerbation Act passing today maybe it's a good time to buy some medical kit while the money is still worth something.

100%, absolutely.  Saw so many people spending their Biden Bucks on frivolities eating out at fancy places-- don't get me wrong, if you're prepped and want to celebrate a special day, I get you-- but I'm talking about people who look like the expect the government to move heaven and earth to keep their WiFi on during a catastrophe.

macsak

macsak

changemyoil66

too long/didn't read version? Stock up on first-aid supplies and OTC meds now, and learn what you can on basic wound care. Everyone loves to focus on the active shooter stuff and carry TQs and airway goodies, but the reality of a grid-down situation is you're going to need to know how to change dressings and recognize infection after you've dragged your battle buddy back from that shootout at Iwilei Costco.

I haven't googled yet, but whats a good OTC for antibiotics like penicillin or amoxicillin?  In the situation above, you bring your BB back and stop the bleed.  But days later infection sets in.

Flapp_Jackson

I haven't googled yet, but whats a good OTC for antibiotics like penicillin or amoxicillin?  In the situation above, you bring your BB back and stop the bleed.  But days later infection sets in.

Any antibiotic will be better than nothing.  Alcohol, peroxide, Neosporin/antibacterial ointments, bandages to keep the wound covered and protected, etc.

Topical antibacterials are used more often than oral/injected.  That's because more people encounter scrapes, cuts, abrasions, bites, scratches, splinters, and so on which are superficial.  If you tend to the injury/infection soon enough, topical products are all you need.

When you start getting into internal bacterial infections like in the throat, nose, eye, ear, Lyme Disease, gum disease, pneumonia and similar, obviously an internal medication is indicated.  Unfortunately, finding one that's OTC is going to be almost impossible.

The best method I know is to complain of a chronic problem like adult acne, and get a prescription for something like Erythromycin or Tetracycline.  You can gradually stockpile some for emergency use.  But, the shelf life of these can be relatively short, so look into ways to store them from longer effectiveness.

Erythromycin is an antibiotic used for the treatment of a number of bacterial infections.[1] This includes respiratory tract infections, skin infections, chlamydia infections, pelvic inflammatory disease, and syphilis.[1] It may also be used during pregnancy to prevent Group B streptococcal infection in the newborn,[1] as well as to improve delayed stomach emptying.[3] It can be given intravenously and by mouth.[1] An eye ointment is routinely recommended after delivery to prevent eye infections in the newborn.[4]

Tetracycline, sold under various brand names, is an oral antibiotic in the tetracyclines family of medications, used to treat a number of infections,[1] including acne, cholera, brucellosis, plague, malaria, and syphilis.[1]

You might find a "natural" means of producing these drugs, too.

Our modern understanding of tetracyclines dates their discovery to 1948, but there
is evidence that early inhabitants of Northeastern Africa consumed tetracycline antibiotics.
Nubian mummies from between 350 and 550 C.E. were found to exhibit patterns of
fluorescence identical with that of modern tetracycline labelled bone.[24]

Tetracycline has a high affinity for calcium and is incorporated into bones during the
active mineralization of hydroxyapatite. When incorporated into bones, tetracycline can
be identified using ultraviolet light.[25]

It is conjectured that the beer brewed at the time was the source of the tetracycline
found in these bones.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

https://bfy.tw/TfjI
https://bfy.tw/TfjG

Rocky

Vet Meds  ::)
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt