Anyone ever try shipping ammo from Oahu to outer isle? (Read 1434 times)

tim808

Anyone ever try shipping ammo from Oahu to outer isle?
« on: September 04, 2022, 01:15:08 PM »
My friend is planning to move back home to Maui from Oahu

I assume the only outer isle shipper is YB and he will need to put it a small pallet….which may be able to go into a standard shipping container with other typical stuff.   

Not sure if his pallet may need to go into a “special” container since it is hazmat.

Any info / experience would be greatly appreciated

He is an active member of HRA and hopes to build up the 2A community on Maui

808Stoney

Re: Anyone ever try shipping ammo from Oahu to outer isle?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 01:46:06 PM »
When I used to work at the airline waaay back, used to let Manuf (card board or aftermarket) boxes go through checked bgs as long as all rounds were accounted for. in each box.I know there used to be a weight limit, but cant remember those numbers now.  May want to also check with Aloha Air Cargo, especially if he's putting a pallet together with other items.

tim808

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 03:56:42 PM »
Currently, I think it is 11lbs of ammo per person. 

We never thought of using air cargo to send a big amount.  We thought boat was the only option to Maui for ammo.

RSN172

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 07:36:45 PM »
When I moved from Oahu to the BI, I shipped a small amount (20,000 rounds) in a container with my household goods. Guns went in same container.

aaronc5362

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 11:55:04 PM »
Currently, I think it is 11lbs of ammo per person. 

We never thought of using air cargo to send a big amount.  We thought boat was the only option to Maui for ammo.

Iirc hawaiian airlines is 11lbs. If your friend will fly frequently back and forth between islands for work or family or any other reason,  I say just take 11 lbs everytime lol. Cause I think anything over 50 lbs for checked baggage , you have to pay extra fees.

I got a hawaiian miles credit card and check in baggage is free. Lol

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 09:23:37 AM »
Check with OGC (and probably others).  It was my understanding that shipping ammo inter-island was quite easy/common.  Some others on this board may also be able to help with guidance.

Or, you could have "your friend" buy a big boat.   8)  ;D

mauiboi9

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 10:05:17 PM »
Hawaiian Airlines limits 11lbs or 5kg. I've traveled a couple of times. From my experience, some times they check and ask u to bring it out. Some times they just say ok. Its been a while since I've traveled. Pre covid was the last time that I took a flight. As for the ammo in the shipping container, I'm pretty sure once you tell YB that you want to put ammo and guns in the container its going to be a no go.
Im a recoil junkie

dogman

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 10:22:05 PM »
My friend is planning to move back home to Maui from Oahu

I assume the only outer isle shipper is YB and he will need to put it a small pallet….which may be able to go into a standard shipping container with other typical stuff.   

Not sure if his pallet may need to go into a “special” container since it is hazmat.

Any info / experience would be greatly appreciated

He is an active member of HRA and hopes to build up the 2A community on Maui
Is there a reason why you can't get the answers from Young Brothers?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 10:27:12 PM »
Is there a reason why you can't get the answers from Young Brothers?

I don't know what the OP's answer is, but I think sometimes is good to see what people's actual experiences are.  That way, when YB starts laying out the available options, he's more familiar with which ones are better.  It's also easier to ask for clarification here vs. not trying to appear "slow" when having it explained by the shippers.

I don't fault anyone for trying to gather information before approaching the shipper to see what they say.

Just my opinion.  If you have no knowledge or experience about shipping HAZMAT, the laws, the costs, and the requirements, it can be a lot to absorb on the spot.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

dogman

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 10:05:49 PM »
Our company uses Young Brothers Ltd. often so I had an assistant contact them. I got a quote for the random description of 500 pounds of small arms ammunition with a pallet size of 36" x 36" x 24", Oahu to Kahului. The quote was $93.00. The boxes need to have the correct Hazmat decals, available online. YB sent the form for Hazmat that will hopefully be attached to this reply.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 11:06:48 PM »
Our company uses Young Brothers Ltd. often so I had an assistant contact them. I got a quote for the random description of 500 pounds of small arms ammunition with a pallet size of 36" x 36" x 24", Oahu to Kahului. The quote was $93.00. The boxes need to have the correct Hazmat decals, available online. YB sent the form for Hazmat that will hopefully be attached to this reply.

See?  Posting the question here did get the answers he needed/   :rofl: :shaka:

Seriously, thanks for going the extra mile to help.  I think there's value in posting questions in case there are tips and advice experienced forum members might offer.

In your opinion, is $93 for 500 lbs of ammo traveling that relatively short distance a good value?  Or do you think it's a little steep?  In the grand scheme of shipping, 500 lbs is pretty small. 

Out of pure curiosity, is the pallet size more, or less, of a pricing factor compared to weight?  I've seen some instances where you get a better deal if you pay for a full pallet versus a partial.  Maybe that's not how inter-island works, but I've seen this when shipping on the mainland or overseas.

:thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

jyama

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 05:04:12 PM »
Shipping ammo to Maui with YB should be a fairly easy process.  According to YB the ammo will need to be shipped on a pallet. If he can ship the ammo in the cardboard ammo cases the haz label (diamond with top and bottom corners black) and haz info should be printed on box and would not need additional placards if info can be seen on the pallet. Usually ammo cases are strapped down to the pallet or tied with twine or rope.   Pallet wrap is also good, but may hide the haz info on boxes, then placards would be needed.  The size of the pallet shouldn’t matter as cost quoted is for YB’s minimum charge per bill of lading.  Cost is calculated by dimensions not weight. The ammo cases has the info needed to fill out the haz form or he can google it.

He should be aware there could be a long line and wait at YB Oahu during their busy periods.  Pick up on Maui should be quick.

Akubone1

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 07:54:15 PM »
I would not recommend shipping a pallet via YB.  Instead, Go to the YB mix area and hand load individual boxes in “gvans”.  Each box will be counted and covered up to $5000.  It will also be inside the nGVan and somewhat protected against the weather.  If you ship a pallet, that counts as 1 piece of cargo (doesn’t matter how many cases at on the pallet).  If it arrives in Maui missing boxes it isn’t covered because they don’t take piece counts (just 1 pallet).  Pallets are left outside in the elements, if it’s not weatherized it could get wet.  I worked there for nearly 8 yrs…doubt things have changed.

Call YB customer service and they can explain in more detail.

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 09:00:14 AM »
Buy a big boat. . .  ;D