Honolulu police officers rarely disciplined for violating policy on body cameras (Read 338 times)

aletheuo137

Flapp_Jackson

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/09/07/honolulu-police-officers-rarely-disciplined-violating-policy-body-cameras/

This problem was always a sticking point for Cops wearing body cams.  They don't want their conversations and actions recorded the entire time they are on a call for fear it picks up something they didn't intend/want.  So, if the cameras are able to be turned off and on, it's a given that we'd see "gaps" in the recordings where the Cops said they "forgot."

I don't think any of us would be comfortable wearing a recording device the entire time we are on the clock at work.  Cops have an especially difficult time given the amount of public scrutiny even the most routine case receives once someone decides to make it go viral on social media.

Having said that, there must be a way to remote activate the cameras (if not now, with an upgrade?) so when a dispatcher assigns a unit/officer to a call, the cameras are turned on immediately, and they can't be turned off until the unit/officer changes status to something other than working that case.

It's not that we can't trust all the Cops to do things right.  These cameras are supposed to catch Cops AND THE PUBLIC when they do things wrong -- so we, the people, can be sure we are getting all the facts in a case.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

6716J

They knew the rules when they joined. And they are free to quit if the rules change.

F'em
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Flapp_Jackson

They knew the rules when they joined. And they are free to quit if the rules change.

F'em

Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

changemyoil66

Also left out besides them turning it off, stuff can be redacted for various reasons. I saw a friends interaction of getting pulled over on his moped. About half the interaction was redacted/muted.

If the police want to gain more public trust, then they should do a program of leaving them on the entire time any cops is on scene.  A YT channel I watch Lack Luster often has vids of interactions where the cops turn off their cams. But fortunately, 1 doesn't which captures all the violations that are being done. Which results in a winning lawsuit by the detained person.

If the PD have no interest in gaining more public trust, then keep doing what they're doing. It's up to them.

eyeeatingfish

For the real blatant ones some serious discipline needs to be handed out. Make an example of those guys.