100rd AR magazine (Read 731 times)

WTF?Shane

100rd AR magazine
« on: September 14, 2022, 10:01:23 PM »
Article about ghost guns. First pic is a OEM fen 3 Glock. Also later down in the article mentions 100rd AR mags being illegal.

HSI agents even recovered a magazine for an AR-15 that holds 100 rounds ― illegal in Hawaii.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/09/15/federal-agencies-report-alarming-spike-illegal-ghost-guns-attachments-hawaii-streets/

changemyoil66

Re: 100rd AR magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 08:56:46 AM »
For some articles, they contact HIFICO.  Obviously this one they didn't.

Rocky

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 03:35:02 PM »
Did ya catch that "Serial Number" on the Sig ?
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 03:52:45 PM »
“Alarming spike” in the headline, but not much data or substance in the article (at least from which read).

But no media bias…

ren

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 04:18:56 PM »
Dumb people in journalism. That's what happens when you hire content creators as journalists. :crazy:
Deeds Not Words

MassConfusion

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 01:20:39 PM »
“Alarming spike” in the headline, but not much data or substance in the article (at least from which read).

But no media bias…
Can someone tell me when they banned 100 rnd mags? 
If this is misinformation can they have either their blue check mark removed or the site taken down?  I mean fair is fair.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” ― Mark Twain

Kalikikopa

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 09:31:01 PM »
I'm curious why they show the number of Home assembled firearms for each year, but don't mention that the city and county made it illegal to register them.

rpoL98

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 09:36:17 PM »
Dumb people in journalism. That's what happens when you hire content creators as journalists. :crazy:
so, yeah, nowadays, instead of journalists, the "content creators" manufacture content, and it's a respected profession, get paid big bucks and all.  In the olden days, that used to be called "making shit up", not a respected profession.  I missed the memo, when did that shift occur?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 10:41:44 PM »
Can someone tell me when they banned 100 rnd mags? 
If this is misinformation can they have either their blue check mark removed or the site taken down?  I mean fair is fair.

Can of worms.

In a nutshell, the lawmakers tied the 10rd limit for magazines to pistols.  A rifle with a 30rd+ mag was okay as long as the mag doesn't fit a semi-auto pistol that accepts a removable magazine.

HRS134 makes AR pistols illegal (assault pistols) unless you either permanently fix the mag into the mag-well making it non-removable, and/or disable the gas system making it a single shot/non-semi-auto pistol requiring you to cycle the action by hand.  Some Cops who like to make up the rules want to tell us the mag has to be pinned and welded even if the gas system is disabled.   :crazy:

Enter the "gray area".  A high-capacity-rifle-mag inserted into an illegal assault pistol isn't a legal option.  Therefore, it's generally believed that there are no legal semi-auto AR pistols in Hawaii that accept a removable mag.  That mitigates/negates/nullifies the 10-rd limit for AR rifles.

On top of all that, the issue is so convoluted since EVERY RIFLE MADE could have a pistol created using its receiver -- not just commercially -- it's difficult to enforce, so most Cops don't enforce it unless it's obviously a pistol-compatible mag, like a standard capacity Glock 17 mag.  To my knowledge, nobody at the range has ever been reported/arrested for having AR mags >10rds. 

Go to a few gun shops, and you'll find some who will sell 20- and 30-rd AR mags to non-LEO, and some shops who won't.  Most mainland merchants won't ship standard capacity AR mags to Hawaii anymore, either.  That didn't used to be the case.  I have a "friend" who bought lots of 10, 20, & 30 round AR mags online the last 10 years, plus a lesser number of 60 and 100 rd Surefire mags.  It's getting close to impossible to buy them online to ship here.

If you agree that 20- and 30-rd mags are legal for ARs here, it follows that 60- and 100-rd mags, or larger, are also legal.

The news is reporting the "official party-line"  interpretation of the law -- AR mags over 10rds = illegal.  Whether or not they just believe what someone told them, they misinterpreted the statute they heard, or they even know where in the law that's stated is the real question.

I believe there was a bill submitted to change the language of the law and delete the requirement that the mag be a pistol-compatible design.  Basically, all mags over 10 rounds would be illegal without exception.  I don't recall if that made it into law or not.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 10:50:31 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.