KHSC closed starting today 9-16-22 (Read 24782 times)

hvybarrels

Re: KHSC closed starting today 9-16-22
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2022, 10:14:20 AM »
Sooner or later there won’t be enough cops and then we can all have private ranges. Just don’t shoot where you want to grow food. Or uphill of that.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

groveler

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2022, 10:42:35 AM »
Sooner or later there won’t be enough cops and then we can all have private ranges. Just don’t shoot where you want to grow food. Or uphill of that.
Most my ammo is copper, tungsten, Bismuth, and steel.
7.62X39. BBs, and pellets.
Y'all got to think international when you have Democrat
rulers.
 ;D

mrgaf

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2022, 12:40:27 PM »
I wish every one of the RSO’s well and that their lead levels dissipate as soon as possible. Their health and well being are more important than the range. That being said I fear the conditions that have caused the high levels of lead in their blood could spell the beginning of the end for the range. I guess if it takes center stage the best we can hope for will be the banning of anything that contains lead (there are alternatives). Worst case scenario would be the permanent closure of KHSC and those who are against the range, firearms, shooting sports, etc will finally have their way……. :-\
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

ren

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2022, 12:53:30 PM »
I wish every one of the RSO’s well and that their lead levels dissipate as soon as possible. Their health and well being are more important than the range. That being said I fear the conditions that have caused the high levels of lead in their blood could spell the beginning of the end for the range. I guess if it takes center stage the best we can hope for will be the banning of anything that contains lead (there are alternatives). Worst case scenario would be the permanent closure of KHSC and those who are against the range, firearms, shooting sports, etc will finally have their way……. :-\

Write our City reps....it worked in getting A range out here in Waipahu...which is...well...
Deeds Not Words

QUIETShooter

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2022, 03:46:01 PM »
Design the shooting bays to be more open air.  Frankly, the rifle side is pretty open air, but the pistol side is more closed in and can benefit with a more open-air structure.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2022, 03:56:06 PM »
Design the shooting bays to be more open air.  Frankly, the rifle side is pretty open air, but the pistol side is more closed in and can benefit with a more open-air structure.

I don't know.  The current open air set-up didn't protect the RSO's from environmental toxins.

Maybe invest in closed lanes with quality air handlers the way private ranges are.  The RSO can observe via closed circuit video and through large windows, keeping them from constant exposure to the vapors and toxins being spewed into the air.

Future cleaning would be much easier.  Safety for all shooters would be greatly enhanced.  Plus, that would remedy the question of ricochets once and for all! I for one enjoy not wasting time walking to check and change targets when a mechanical line system can set and retrieve targets while no one on other lanes need to stop and wait.   :thumbsup:

As for how to pay for it, I wouldn't mind paying a small fee to shoot there, plus a "pro shop" could raise more money selling ammo, targets, and accessories.

Just a thought.    :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2022, 06:10:28 PM »
Just a thought.    :geekdanc:

I like dreaming too. 

More likely respirators will be required if they don’t close it.
This might be a serious problem in keeping the range open if it gains steam.

Hopefully N95 with vent will suffice.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 06:15:58 PM by aieahound »

powder monkey

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2022, 06:29:40 PM »
Also include clothing and anything exposed to air borne dust.

changemyoil66

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »
Write our City reps....it worked in getting A range out here in Waipahu...which is...well...
Ohhhh snap.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

aieahound

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2022, 06:55:42 PM »
Also include clothing and anything exposed to air borne dust.

Never thought about that.
Gloves, shoe covers, paper suits…..

Seriously, they might be able to turn this into something serious if it gains steam.
They weren’t berm diving after hours were they….JUST KIDDING !

Hope Mike and the gang aren’t seriously affected and get better soon.

powder monkey

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2022, 07:15:22 PM »
There may come a day when metal targets are ban.

Rocky

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2022, 07:38:19 AM »
   Job hazard.
Brake mechanic is constantly exposed to asbestos dust, Squid working the power plant exposed tot radiation.
same as OF with decades of handling lead reloading ?
If you sit at the range under a roof for 8 hrs of shooting daily for years, you are continually exposed to lead and contaminants.

Rotation of RSO's may be beneficial or put them in plexi boxes with air filtration.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

QUIETShooter

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2022, 08:45:43 AM »
   Job hazard.
Brake mechanic is constantly exposed to asbestos dust, Squid working the power plant exposed tot radiation.
same as OF with decades of handling lead reloading ?
If you sit at the range under a roof for 8 hrs of shooting daily for years, you are continually exposed to lead and contaminants.

Rotation of RSO's may be beneficial or put them in plexi boxes with air filtration.

I guess with KHSC being in an open air environment not too much attention was given to the fact that these RSO's were still exposed to contaminants on a daily basis year in, year out.

Plexi-boxes with air filtration and a PA system is a good idea.  The RSO's can rotate with the 2 or 3 RSO's outside the boxes that are visually and manually walking and controlling the firing line.

I don't know how they would handle the rotation though, since the contaminants will cling to the clothing and body of the RSO's manning the firing line.  I'm sure there is a way.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Akubone1

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2022, 01:31:59 PM »
Although I’d miss shooting, the range should remain closed in my opinion until they can find a safe solution for the ROs.  All of the ROs have helped me with firearms, my technique, and taught me a lot about gun safety.  Just not right to put someone’s heath at risk.  Can you imagine the lawsuits that can come out of this.

RSN172

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2022, 06:45:14 PM »
Looks like macsak had the right idea all along. No own any guns, ammo or reloading supplies.

rpoL98

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »
maybe it needs to be open-air, like a car port, all around?  to get that flow-through ventilation?  easier done on the rifle side, problematic on the pistol side.  I wonder what they do for outdoor ranges on the mainland to address this concern?

changemyoil66

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2022, 08:57:06 AM »
Here's my take.  Long story short, occupational hazard.

1) I have been going there since 2016 on various days (excluding Mon/Tues).  When ever I go, I always see the same RSO's.  So add in that they're there all day since I'll bet prior to 2016 and more like 15+ years, this was bound to happen over time.  It's not like it happened in 1 month or 6 months.

2) I have seen RSO's eating food at the firing line, behind people while they are shooting.  I have seen them grab donuts and other bare handed snacks before washing their hands.  So I'm sure this contributes to it.  If someone did this once a month, you're probably be OK. Even a few times a month.  But on a daily basis over years is a diff story.

3) KKSC is already outdoors and not much more 1 can do besides not doing #2 and rotating the RSO's.  Have them work at other parks for X amount of time then go back.  Or even put a cap, after X years, you are moved permanently to another park.

4) I've heard people saying they should be wearing mask, again they would have to be fit tested and OSHA followed.  Which by #2 above, they're not doing.  As we have seen from COVID, even with N95 type respirators, majority of people are not wearing them correctly anyways. 

5) Indoor ranges have special air systems.  These filters cost about $15K each and need to be replaced like once a month.  808GC was not doing this correctly so had a few guys with higher lead levels, even regulars who hang there often had elevated levels.   They have since corrected this once the current owner took ownership.  So this was the previous owner who had this issue.  And if anyone can see their roof, you can see all the soot on it.  Which makes you wonder what isn't being filtered out.

I hope the best for all the RSO's affected and hope this event combined with others doesn't shut down the range.  In the mean time, the 2 indoors will see a huge jump in revenue.  I'm not a fan of either, but of the 2, I  will be going to 808GC specifically to zero my RDS on my Shield.  I'm even debating just leaving it zero'd to my ironss cause it's guud enuff until I go to Vegas in a few months and can hit up the indoors up there.

If anyone wants to know why, then I'll post it if requested.  We all have our own reasons.

robtmc

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2022, 09:13:32 AM »
Your selected masters will feel far more secure should you decide to do this.........

Only those highly trained polices should be allowed firearms.

Looks like macsak had the right idea all along. No own any guns, ammo or reloading supplies.

aletheuo137

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2022, 10:03:27 AM »
Your selected masters will feel far more secure should you decide to do this.........

Only those highly trained polices should be allowed firearms.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Rocky

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2022, 11:23:18 AM »
Yup, took up fishing instead !
 :wave:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt