NIGHT TIME Handgun & Flashlight Tactics (Read 515 times)

aletheuo137

NIGHT TIME Handgun & Flashlight Tactics
« on: September 19, 2022, 06:37:40 AM »

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

Re: NIGHT TIME Handgun & Flashlight Tactics
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 10:05:30 AM »
1 thing I learned from 1st hand XP was I need a WML. I always thought that outside ambient light will be enough. Like when you wake up to piss at 3am.  There's enough light where you can walk to the bathroom without hitting the wall.

Then there was a black out 1 day and there was zero outside light coming in. I couldn't see anything.  I bought WML's shortly after this event.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 11:11:44 AM »
1 thing I learned from 1st hand XP was I need a WML. I always thought that outside ambient light will be enough. Like when you wake up to piss at 3am.  There's enough light where you can walk to the bathroom without hitting the wall.

Then there was a black out 1 day and there was zero outside light coming in. I couldn't see anything.  I bought WML's shortly after this event.

The other side of that is, when you get up at 3am, you're able to navigate the rooms because you've memorized the walkways and remember where the walls and obstacles are.  Even in ambient light, however, you aren't really seeing everything.  Someone could be motionless next to a doorway, and you wouldn't be able to tell, because you're not really looking around -- just at the path you need to take.

It's a tunnel vision situation, where you're focused on your own task, not what else is going on.  When you're groggy, it's hard enough to focus on not running into things, much less what might be there in the dark that wasn't there in the light.

The tunnel vision might be less if you're up and armed because you heard a suspicious sound.  At that point, you may be more alert to unrecognized shapes in the dark -- maybe not if the ambient light is too low.

Add to that the need to 100% identify who/what you are shooting at, and I think a tactical light is required if you're going to arm yourself at night to check out strange noises.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

zippz

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 01:58:12 PM »

You have to be able to see detail.  Know you're seeing a gun instead of a cell phone.  Need a lot of light for that.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Bota-CS1

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 05:12:51 PM »

McMahon is pleased by this....
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 08:57:22 PM »
I didn't watch the video. What are some key points?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 09:03:17 PM »
I didn't watch the video. What are some key points?

Main idea:  Go out and train.

One person's explanation isn't going to give you the experience you need to see what "operating" at night under a variety of conditions will be like,  There will be challenges that you can't really appreciate until you actually try to see what you're doing with and without a weapon-mounted light.

The biggest consideration on my mind is, when you ONLY have a mounted light in the dark, guess where the muzzle of your weapon will always be pointed when the light is on?

You need to practice to know how to deal with the variables.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 09:09:21 PM »
Main idea:  Go out and train.

One person's explanation isn't going to give you the experience you need to see what "operating" at night under a variety of conditions will be like,  There will be challenges that you can't really appreciate until you actually try to see what you're doing with and without a weapon-mounted light.

The biggest consideration on my mind is, when you ONLY have a mounted light in the dark, guess where the muzzle of your weapon will always be pointed when the light is on?

You need to practice to know how to deal with the variables.

Saw another thread about this and figured this would be covered. Definitely a smart idea to have another source of light on your gear or ready. Also good idea if your light has QD levers and you could use it as a standalone.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 09:30:33 PM »
Saw another thread about this and figured this would be covered. Definitely a smart idea to have another source of light on your gear or ready. Also good idea if your light has QD levers and you could use it as a standalone.

If the power is working, I have at least one WEMO-power-plug-connected light in each room that can be turned on an off with an Echo device -- also one in several rooms.  I can turn on a light in most rooms with nothing more than a voice command or phone app.  I also leave a light on in the living room all night using the same WEMO plug as a timer with auto on/off.

One way to avoid needing a WML is to avoid being in the dark to start with.   :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 08:00:25 AM »
 :P
SNIP

One way to avoid needing a WML is to avoid being in the dark to start with.   :thumbsup:
You afraid of the dark?  ;D  :P

QUIETShooter

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 08:04:12 AM »
My wife claims I'm blind, whether the light is on or off. ;D
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Rocky

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 08:20:39 AM »
Priest warned you.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
With that new stove I bought, the LED clock lights up the kitchen, living room and half the bedroom if I don't close the door part way.
The farthest room down the hall is back lit from neighbors light.
Best part of only myself and Rockette at home is if I hear a "bump in the night", if I reach over and she's there, everything else is fair game.  :thumbsup:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 08:29:33 AM »

Thought you supposed to be deaf, and she blind  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 09:03:14 AM »

Knockoutlights IG had a vid about this.  You don't want to bust out your pistol when the power is out for a light source.  This is why when I CCW, I still carry my handheld light.  Last few times I needed a light, I was sitting on the toilet and didn't have my phone.  This happened 2X. So since then, I've carried a handheld.  Had to wipe extra at risk of clogging the toilet to make sure I got it all.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 10:28:59 AM »
:P You afraid of the dark?  ;D  :P

Afraid?

Nope.

Rather not walk into a dark room?

Yep.

Besides, the "Clapper" is so 1990s.   :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 12:47:29 PM »
Afraid?
 ;D
Nope.

Rather not walk into a dark room?

Yep.

Besides, the "Clapper" is so 1990s.   :rofl:
Alexa?  ;D

Slightly off topic, but a number of appliances/units have control displays that give off quite a bit of light. Amazing how bright they seem in flat dark room. Not enough for context of ID though…

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 02:16:32 PM »
Alexa?  ;D

Slightly off topic, but a number of appliances/units have control displays that give off quite a bit of light. Amazing how bright they seem in flat dark room. Not enough for context of ID though…

There should be a law against ads using that name!  I have my echo dot go off at least twice a week because of something said on TV.

Did you hear about the Jeopary! snafu?  They had a contestant named "Alexa," and every time she buzzed in, the host had to say her name before she could answer.

Of course, the TV would say, "Alexa" in the hosts voice, then she would answer in the form of a question, like "Who is Tom Cruise?"  Thousands of viewers' devices were them suddenly telling then all about Tom Cruise!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I put tape of various opacities over the indicator lights on everything electronic in the bedroom.  It's a fact that trying to sleep with several bright lights in the room is disrupting to your sleep cycle. 

When I travel, I always leave the bathroom light on with the bathroom door slightly open -- just enough light to see around the room but not enough to keep me awake.  If I have to get up to go, I have enough light to navigate to the facilities without banging my shin.   :shake:

I also have nightlights in my bathrooms at home that turn on and off with the day/night. 

I think it's smarter to keep the house/hotel room dimly lit rather than making it a challenge to move around with the lamps/ceiling fixtures off.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:22:26 PM by Flapp_Jackson »

hvybarrels

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 10:37:28 PM »
Before things started getting nuts I had a handgun and a flashlight but now I’m leaving a pump with a wml next to the bed. I just wish we could take them down to 14”. Maybe when we flip congress…
Start blowing that whistle because the Nuremberg defense ain’t gonna cut it.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 10:48:10 PM »
Before things started getting nuts I had a handgun and a flashlight but now I’m leaving a pump with a wml next to the bed. I just wish we could take them down to 14”. Maybe when we flip congress…

Yeah, I've been thinking about a place to safely conceal an AR in the bedroom.  More and more, 10+1 seems a bit ... optimistic.

nickelzismoney

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 06:07:52 PM »
Exactly why I have WMLs and NODS with IR lasers
“No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall… you are never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrel

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." - Albert Einstein