Re: kOKO HEAD RANGE
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 06:57:59 AM »
range staff had "high lead levels"

So what happened?

Akubone1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 07:52:32 AM »
range staff had "high lead levels"

This is probably a bigger problem then the berm remediation.  With high lead levels I wouldn’t think you go back until those levels go down.  They would need to hire staff…that needs to be approved and interviews conducted.  Then they would need to figure out how to protect the ROs.  Would hanging signs on lead exposure be sufficient warning to the public?

MrJones

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 05:38:54 AM »
It’s strange, I have lived elsewhere in the states and shot at open ranges. Their employees did not seem have a problem with lead, or maybe they did not care.  I have noticed that many of the ROs at Kokohead reload and sell.If you cast your own bullets that would definitely contribute to high lead exposure. I hope they do a thorough investigation on this problem so we can protect the safety and health of employees at kokohead.

Mr. Jones

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 05:55:07 AM by MrJones »

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 05:55:13 AM »
It’s strange, I have lived elsewhere in the states and shot at open ranges. Their employees never had a problem with lead. I have noticed that many of the ROs at Kokohead reload and sell.If you cast your own bullets that would definitely cause high lead exposure. I hope they do a thorough investigation on this problem so we don’t jump to conclusions.

Dr. Jones

We need to wash our hands more often.  All one has to do with dirty, lead laden hands is rub our nose, eyes or mouths and whoop, there it is.  (or scratch our a$$).
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Vbc

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 06:29:33 AM »
I heard ricochet and needed higher berms.

MrJones

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 06:38:41 AM »
It would be courteous if the city would let us know the reasons and how long. But that’s asking too much.

Jones

robtmc

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 07:10:08 AM »
Being a suspicious sort, I smell "Magic bullet" Knudsen and KHSC haters scamming a new angle to shut the range down.
Their sort shut a lot of indoor ranges with that angle.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:10:35 AM »
Being a suspicious sort, I smell "Magic bullet" Knudsen and KHSC haters scamming a new angle to shut the range down.

I think so too, but full disclaimer:  I am a hopeless conspiracy theorist.  No can help.  Too much crap with the "Hmmmm......" factor been happening in the last 20 something years.

1.  Berm reconstruction because of a ricochet.  Supposed to close in October.

2.  High levels of lead in the RSO's.  Very little heads up and now range closed Sept. 16th.

3.  Hearing by HPD Chief on Oct. 4th on the subject of CCW carry.  Then announcement by HPD Chief according to HNN that permits will start to be issued in Oct.

Hmmmm.....I guess the Hearing on Oct. 4th is not open for discussion.  More like a "This is how things will go down.  YOO HAVE NOOO CHOICE." :rofl:

Not only are they imposing restricting rules on concealed carry, but they are also severely restricting avenues for citizens to get tested for qualification by closing the only public range on Oahu.

The public has the option to utilize the two tiny indoor ranges for testing, and nobody knows how the mgt. of those teeny tiny indoor facilities will implement testing yet leave some lanes open for general use.  Dear public citizens, prepare for a long wait.  Senior citizens, prepare to die before exercising your 2a rights in the wonderful state of Hawaii.  Go get a big dog.  Or cat.  Or donkey.

Maybe I'm a hopeless conspiracy theorist but interesting how all these things came into play in less than 2 weeks.

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

zippz

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 02:16:44 PM »
It’s strange, I have lived elsewhere in the states and shot at open ranges. Their employees did not seem have a problem with lead, or maybe they did not care.  I have noticed that many of the ROs at Kokohead reload and sell.If you cast your own bullets that would definitely contribute to high lead exposure. I hope they do a thorough investigation on this problem so we can protect the safety and health of employees at kokohead.

Mr. Jones

There's several issues at Koko Head.  The biggest problem is there is no running water except for a long walk to the bathroom.  This makes it less likely they'll wash hands before eating.  Probably other stuff like cleanliness around their work areas.  Range is partially enclosed so it blocks airflow leading to more lead settling or being breathed in.  Should have a no eating policy on the ranges.

Not an issue for the average range user since exposure is limited.  But it could be an issue for those that spend all day at the range every week.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 02:23:25 PM »

Lead is a serious issue at ranges, but it can be mitigated with good practices.  Range doesn't have to be shut down, just good policies, procedures, and remediation implemented.

There was a major incident at an indoor range here.  Filters weren't changed, bad cleaning practices, etc.  All the range staff came down with mild to severe lead poisoning.  Some got bad neurological problems, even after cleansing for a year.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 03:40:40 PM »
I heard ricochet and needed higher berms.
You heard this about the rifle or bullseye pistol ranges? 

Wchiro

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 06:27:50 PM »

Mr. Jones

The RO's are subject to breathing in vaporized lead from shooters shooting cast lead bullets and jacketed bullets with open lead bases.  I'm pretty sure they take precautions when they reload ammo.

Gordyf

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2022, 06:56:03 PM »
The lead thing is an easy fix.
There are several outfits here in the state that will set up lead monitoring in the workplace.
It is routine, collectors set up, and tested regularly. Remediation as needed.
OSHA makes us do it in the shipyard business all the time.
If there is a high lead issue, they will find it, but in a wide open ventilated place like the range,
I doubt there will be a problem.
Gordy
Aloha
Gordy

astroboy

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 11:06:44 AM »
The lead thing is an easy fix.
There are several outfits here in the state that will set up lead monitoring in the workplace.
It is routine, collectors set up, and tested regularly. Remediation as needed.
OSHA makes us do it in the shipyard business all the time.
If there is a high lead issue, they will find it, but in a wide open ventilated place like the range,
I doubt there will be a problem.
Gordy

Good points Gordy

Lead hazards can be dealt with. Will the city spend the time and money to do so?
1) PPE like half face respirators with the correct filters.
2) Washing clothing exposed to lead fumes separately.
Protective clothing like the tyvek suits are too hot and costly.

Akubone1

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 01:03:16 PM »
Saw some good prices on ammo at more than one LGS recently.  The gun show coming up but I’m hesitant on buying ammo or anything without the certainty of Koko head opening in the near future.  Sure they can test for lead contamination but will the city put money into exposure prevention, better berm maintenance, and lead monitoring?  If EPA or OSHA get involved will there be longer delays before reopening?

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 01:27:16 PM »
Many called it before the work even began that it would take longer than the month of October.

Lihikai

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2022, 03:07:25 PM »
Anyone heard about a meeting going on this afternoon at DPR to shut down the range permanently?

zippz

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2022, 03:15:47 PM »
Anyone heard about a meeting going on this afternoon at DPR to shut down the range permanently?

There's been reports of something happening.  Didn't hear about. A meeting.

zippz

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 03:17:11 PM »
There's a Hawaii Kai neighborhood board mtg tonight.  Would be. A good place to ask the questions and see council member Walters.  I'm off island so cannot attend, but trying to find someone to go.  https://www.honolulu.gov/component/jevents/icalrepeat.detail/2022/09/27/16063/1197/hawaii-kai-nb-regular-meeting.html?Itemid=2404