.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 73316 times)

esk808

Re: .22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #700 on: August 08, 2022, 08:31:28 PM »

2) I love NF optics.  But now I have to fight the urge to check out one for my .22 lr rifle.  ;D

Just going deeper into the rabbit hole called 22LR............

drck1000

« Reply #701 on: August 09, 2022, 07:23:24 AM »
Just going deeper into the rabbit hole called 22LR............
Yeah.  Mostly circling near the top of the rabbit hole, mostly because my shooting interests are all over the place right now.  Been into .22 lr and centerfire bolt action for a while now, but also reenergized with pistols and competition/training.  Especially now since a couple of long time friends are now getting into shooting.

I've long been a fan of NF optics, but could never justify the expense until around 4-5 years ago. 

Akubone1

« Reply #702 on: September 02, 2022, 04:55:15 PM »
I had some cold bore flyers the last time out.  Called Vudoo and they suspect it might be a carbon ring.  Since the Vudoo chambers are match grade, Greg said that the carbon ring could cause flyers…some other chambers may not be as tight so flyers maybe less evident.

Here’s a article he wrote…I guess I’ll try some of their recommendations.  Hopefully I can hit the range soon.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a-guide-to-22lr-barrel-care-for-the-precision-rimfire-shooter/

esk808

« Reply #703 on: September 02, 2022, 10:33:29 PM »
I had some cold bore flyers the last time out.  Called Vudoo and they suspect it might be a carbon ring.  Since the Vudoo chambers are match grade, Greg said that the carbon ring could cause flyers…some other chambers may not be as tight so flyers maybe less evident.

Here’s a article he wrote…I guess I’ll try some of their recommendations.  Hopefully I can hit the range soon.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a-guide-to-22lr-barrel-care-for-the-precision-rimfire-shooter/

Good reading on cleaning.
Now, where do they have Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover and Rimfire Blend?

drck1000

« Reply #704 on: September 02, 2022, 10:48:57 PM »
If anyone needs Boretech C4 or Eliminator, let me know. I typically order from Midway when they have in stock and their free shipping. I soak a patch and let sit in area of concern. Both bolt action rimfire and centerfire. Removes any slight carbon rings I had. However, I haven’t gotten more than 100 centerfire and 200 ish 22 before cleaning. 

esk808

« Reply #705 on: September 03, 2022, 12:46:27 AM »
If anyone needs Boretech C4 or Eliminator, let me know. I typically order from Midway when they have in stock and their free shipping. I soak a patch and let sit in area of concern. Both bolt action rimfire and centerfire. Removes any slight carbon rings I had. However, I haven’t gotten more than 100 centerfire and 200 ish 22 before cleaning.

Just missed your posting.
I ordered tonight from Bore Tech itself: C4 and Rimfire Blend, according to akubone's article re cleaning.

drck1000

« Reply #706 on: September 03, 2022, 07:30:44 AM »
Just missed your posting.
I ordered tonight from Bore Tech itself: C4 and Rimfire Blend, according to akubone's article re cleaning.
Cool. I use Rimfire Blend as well. They also have another product for the carbon ring (can’t think if it right now). I like Boretech products, but their shipping is expensive.

Ocean19

.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #707 on: September 25, 2022, 09:45:55 PM »
Sucks range is closed. It was fun only with 22lr shooters. 10 guys max showed at the range Sat before it closed.

Akubone1

« Reply #708 on: September 26, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »
Sucks range is closed. It was fun only with 22lr shooters. 10 guys max showed at the range Sat before it closed.

Got to shoot the last Sunday the range was open.  So quiet with only 22lr.  Cleaned with Boretech C4 prior to and used a borescope to verify no carbon ring.  Rifle shot good with no cold bore flyers.  Had more ammo arrive the other week but just waiting to shoot.  Hopefully the ROs are ok and changes to range rules are minimal.

powder monkey

« Reply #709 on: September 26, 2022, 04:37:17 PM »
Was nice and quiet

drck1000

« Reply #710 on: September 26, 2022, 04:45:14 PM »
:(

I had been looking forward to shooting more .22 lr rifle until the planned shutdown starting in October.

drck1000

« Reply #711 on: September 26, 2022, 04:50:29 PM »
Got to shoot the last Sunday the range was open.  So quiet with only 22lr.  Cleaned with Boretech C4 prior to and used a borescope to verify no carbon ring.  Rifle shot good with no cold bore flyers.  Had more ammo arrive the other week but just waiting to shoot.  Hopefully the ROs are ok and changes to range rules are minimal.
Did you see much of a POI shift cold bore?  Prior to this rifle.  Just curious. 

One of my shooting buddies usually asks me about cold more shift on both my .22 lr and centerfire bolt guns.  I've been mostly doing load and tuner testing, and have been shooting at least 5-10 foulers, so haven't paid that much attention. 

Akubone1

« Reply #712 on: September 26, 2022, 08:24:12 PM »
The cold bore shift was 1/2” at 50yds which is pretty substantial.  I spoke to Vudoo and they explained that their chambers are tight and when the barrel is cold, the carbon ring can cause the cold bore shift.  Once the barrel is heated, the carbon ring loosens a bit and is not as noticeable.  I did borescope it and the ring was pretty evident.  Cleaning it with C4 eliminated the cold bore shift.

As for my CZ 457, Similar situation with my LIlja barrel.  Found it even difficult to chamber rounds.  I swapped it with my original CZ barrel and there was a cold bore shift but not pronounced like the Vudoo.  Maybe the chamber isn’t as tight to start so not a big cold bore shift.

drck1000

« Reply #713 on: September 26, 2022, 09:20:08 PM »
The cold bore shift was 1/2” at 50yds which is pretty substantial.  I spoke to Vudoo and they explained that their chambers are tight and when the barrel is cold, the carbon ring can cause the cold bore shift.  Once the barrel is heated, the carbon ring loosens a bit and is not as noticeable.  I did borescope it and the ring was pretty evident.  Cleaning it with C4 eliminated the cold bore shift.

As for my CZ 457, Similar situation with my LIlja barrel.  Found it even difficult to chamber rounds.  I swapped it with my original CZ barrel and there was a cold bore shift but not pronounced like the Vudoo.  Maybe the chamber isn’t as tight to start so not a big cold bore shift.
Wow! 1/2” shift is quite a bit. Hopefully you’ve got it figured out.

Approx round count when you noticed? For my centerfire, I soak the chamber with a patch with C4 and get it “bare metal” clean. Don’t think I shot enough to get impact on chambering for with centerfire and 22lr.

Akubone1

« Reply #714 on: October 15, 2022, 06:16:52 AM »

Looks like MPA has a new rimfire rifle.  Pricing seems to be inline with other high end semi custom rifles.  I noticed the magazine seems to shift when he’s cycling the bolt.  I’ll wait for a while to see if there are any reviews but looks interesting.

esk808

« Reply #715 on: November 17, 2022, 12:28:46 AM »

Looks like MPA has a new rimfire rifle.  Pricing seems to be inline with other high end semi custom rifles.  I noticed the magazine seems to shift when he’s cycling the bolt.  I’ll wait for a while to see if there are any reviews but looks interesting.

drck1000

« Reply #716 on: November 20, 2022, 10:01:27 AM »
SNIP

Saw that.  I had been looking at .22 lr builds with Rimx and other actions/companies.  Love MPA's products, but not their lead times.  :(

esk808

« Reply #717 on: December 05, 2022, 11:21:43 PM »
Plan to get another stock for my Anschutz 54.30 with Shilen barrel.

Saw this stock on FB and looks amazing. 
Laminated wood, carbon fiber, and epoxy/fiberglass...........
The finish is what they call 100 gloss.

Here's a sample photo of what I'm talking about:

In contact with the company AS Rifle & Stock in Italy.
ETA is 3-4 months.

I'm going to need a local stockmaker/gunsmith to do the epoxy bedding, as no two actions are alike when it comes to bedding.

Costs are about $1400 + shipping to Hawaii......

I finally decided on the stock in the URL below.
https://www.facebook.com/100072536916958/videos/5293075550821781

I amended the numbers.  I made a mistake in calculation

Update on AS Rifle stock from Italy 12/5/2022.

Stock was shortened a bit for the Shilen 24" barrel on the 54.30.
Colors came out bright.
Still not inletted or clear coated at this stage.
Still being worked on, so just some preliminary photos.

drck1000

« Reply #718 on: December 06, 2022, 07:47:52 AM »
Saw that.  I had been looking at .22 lr builds with Rimx and other actions/companies.  Love MPA's products, but not their lead times.  :(
How did the Italians create a hybrid tree that blends natural with carbon fiber?   ;D  :P

Seriously, that's pretty cool.  Not my cup of tea, but seemingly endless possibilities to personalize and have a stock that is truly unique. 

esk808

« Reply #719 on: January 15, 2023, 11:35:44 AM »
Update on previous post:

Change of plans: I am NOT putting the 54.30 action into this AS stock.
I will be putting in an Anschutz 54.18 action with a Lilja barrel.

You see, I have a 54.18 BR50 repeater that I got from the old Anschutz NA Custom Shop in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The 54.30 and 54.18 actions are very similar in dimensions except for the magazine assembly in the 54.18 (actually a 54 action in the 1800 series). AS Rifle & Stock has already inletted the stock with a 54/1913 action (1900 series) which is identical, but for the magazine assembly.

I'm going to pull the action & barrel from the BR U2 stock and plop it into the AS stock.

I'm going to send this stock and action to Las Vegas, where a very very experienced gunsmith/friend will open up the bottom of the stock for the magazine assembly.