Some Dumb Hunting Questions (Read 4742 times)

DocMercy

Some Dumb Hunting Questions
« on: September 12, 2021, 08:41:57 PM »
I completed an online hunting course this weekend, and noticed a few topics they did not cover. Here are the questions:

1. How do dogs tolerate loud gunfire, while humans need to wear ear protection?

2. Lifting, dressing and carrying a dead carcass can strain the back. In fact, back spasms are a common result of anything strenuous, or using motion that you ordinarily would not employ in daily life. Bringing a heat pad into the woods seems to be impractical. The course never discusses this type of injury.

3. Who carries an emergency locator beacon, and do you need one in HI?

4. Is there a one weapon limit on state/federal hunting grounds? Wouldn't a compound bow put you at risk of being overrun by a wild boar? This video raises a lot of questions about boar hunting. Long arms are used, with bad muzzle control very apparent at certain times.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Some Dumb Hunting Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 09:37:51 PM »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 10:10:21 PM »
I think there are different rules for the various seasons/game being hunted.

For Axis deer/mouflon sheep hunting, youth hunters include the following requirements:
Youth hunters will be limited to carry one (1) type of hunting equipment while in the hunting area.

I can't seem to find anything that limits number of weapons carried other than that.

https://www.eregulations.com/hawaii/hunting/deer-hunting-regulations

-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 10:25:42 PM »
There are 3 categories of Emergency Locator Beacons:  Boats/Ships, Aircraft, and Personal.

If you're asking about PLB, the cost is in the $300-$600 range approximately.  Some just send out an SOS beacon, while others also broadcast your GPS coordinates.

Planes and ships are required to scan for the emergency beacon frequencies, so the chance someone will pick your SOS up is better than some other distress call methods..

Do you need one in Hawaii?  There have been quite a few searches in the news for lost or stranded hikers, drifting boaters, etc.  Some islands are more rugged than others, but there have been hikers on Oahu who fell off a ridge, were injured and weren't located for days.

These are emergency use items.  It's impossible to say who "needs them" in advance.  If you want to be prepared for the worst, then you need one.  What happens if your cell phone gets busted or lost as you tumble down a steep hill or pig trail?  What if you're hurt and unable to remember/tell where you are?  It's all the unforeseeable situations that dictate if you need something -- kind of like firearms.

It's basically a Life Alert for when you're traveling outside the concrete jungle.  "Help!  I've fallen, and I can't get up!"
-- Melvin Udall

DocMercy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 01:22:15 AM »
I can't seem to find anything that limits number of weapons carried other than that.

You are probably correct. I noticed that some weapon types were prohibited depending on whether you hunt without or with a dog. The Hunter-Ed course indicates that you cannot use a muzzle loaded pistol, or a semi-automatic pistol with a barrel less than 5 inches, when you hunt without a dog. That would rule out a Glock 17 and 19. I do not own a 1911 based pistol, so it would be difficult to hunt wild boar with just a bow and no backup pistol. I am without a rifle or shotgun at the moment.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 01:35:27 AM »
You are probably correct. I noticed that some weapon types were prohibited depending on whether you hunt without or with a dog. The Hunter-Ed course indicates that you cannot use a muzzle loaded pistol, or a semi-automatic pistol with a barrel less than 5 inches, when you hunt without a dog. That would rule out a Glock 17 and 19. I do not own a 1911 based pistol, so it would be difficult to hunt wild boar with just a bow and no backup pistol. I am without a rifle or shotgun at the moment.

Here is the DLNR source for hunting seasons per island and the rules and regulations.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/mammal/

Here's a better list that's more readable.  It would be even better without all the pics embedded in the list, but you get what they got:

https://survivallife.com/hawaii-hunting-laws/

I haven't compared the two sites to see if they contain any discrepancies, so a little due diligence is warranted.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
I'm not a hunter, but have talked to a few.

1) Regarding carrying the carcass, 1 guy told me he puts an orange vest on the carcass he carries on his back as well. 1 time he was carrying the carcass and someone shot at him. Luckily they missed.  Guess they thought the carcass was moving. 

2) If you don't buy any kind of locator, I would at minimum tell someone where you will be and if they don't hear from you by X time and day, call for help.

hillbilly19

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 07:48:13 PM »
The times ive gone hunting and my friends brought their dogs, the dogs were used to push and were far away from the shooters so the sound didnt bother them.  The times when the dogs were hanging around us as we shot at deer, they were smart enough to move away from us, probably learned over time.  I probably should, but Ive never worn ear pro while hunting and the only time my ears have rung was when someone else let off their rifle too close to me or if someone was using a muzzle brake.

2. Lifting, dressing and carrying a dead carcass can strain the back. In fact, back spasms are a common result of anything strenuous, or using motion that you ordinarily would not employ in daily life. Bringing a heat pad into the woods seems to be impractical. The course never discusses this type of injury.
Never thought about this.  I guess the key is to know your limits and dont try and push yourself too far past them.  If youre tired, rest, no shame in taking 5 vs trying to man it and ending up hurt.  That being said, I exercise regularly and when I know I have a hunting trip coming up I do extra leg and back workouts.

I havent felt the need for a emergency beacon, but I do have an oh shit kit with some survival stuff in it (flashlight, signal mirror, whistle, etc).  Like someone else mentioned, tell people where you are going and when you are expected back.

4. Is there a one weapon limit on state/federal hunting grounds? Wouldn't a compound bow put you at risk of being overrun by a wild boar? This video raises a lot of questions about boar hunting. Long arms are used, with bad muzzle control very apparent at certain times.
Havent gotten into bow hunting yet, so arent familiar with those rules, sorry.

Hope I helped a little

kptheplatypus

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 09:50:44 PM »
I think there are different rules for the various seasons/game being hunted.

https://www.eregulations.com/hawaii/hunting/deer-hunting-regulations

Per the Hawaii hunting rules that I have published by HI DNR/ DOFAW, it says hunters are allowed one firearm that is essential for the hunt, but a hunting partner may carry an unloaded firearm for the other when in close proximity
“Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

~ An armed society is a polite society

kptheplatypus

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 09:52:08 PM »
Here is the DLNR source for hunting seasons per island and the rules and regulations.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/mammal/

Here's a better list that's more readable.  It would be even better without all the pics embedded in the list, but you get what they got:

https://survivallife.com/hawaii-hunting-laws/

I haven't compared the two sites to see if they contain any discrepancies, so a little due diligence is warranted.

No Glock 17 or 19 unless you switch to a 5in barrel!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 09:53:30 PM »
Per the Hawaii hunting rules that I have published by HI DNR/ DOFAW, it says hunters are allowed one firearm that is essential for the hunt, but a hunting partner may carry an unloaded firearm for the other when in close proximity

I believe on safari, those people are called Rifle Bearers!   :geekdanc:

Do you have a web link with that info?  It would be nice to read all the if-then-else stuff the hunting rules all seem to enjoy making hunters learn.
-- Melvin Udall

kptheplatypus

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 02:31:04 PM »
I believe on safari, those people are called Rifle Bearers!   :geekdanc:

Do you have a web link with that info?  It would be nice to read all the if-then-else stuff the hunting rules all seem to enjoy making hunters learn.

Here ya go, Flapp. Pg. 13 (b) with regards to weapons section

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 02:48:05 PM »
Here ya go, Flapp. Pg. 13 (b) with regards to weapons section

Mahalo!

(b) With respect to WEAPONS, the following conditions and restrictions shall apply:
   (1) No person shall possess or discharge any firearm within any public hunting area without
         having a valid Hawaii State hunting license in their possession;
   (2) While hunting, each hunter shall be limited to carrying on their person only one legal
        firearm that is consistent with the hunt. However, a hunter may carry another hunter’s
        unloaded firearm in addition to his own unloaded firearm in close proximity to the other
        hunter. In addition, each hunter is required to make their weapon, cartridges or
        muzzleloader firing components, game and license available for inspection, upon the
        request of a duly authorized representative of the department. Refusal to permit said
        inspection shall be considered a game law violation and may result in the revocation of
        hunting privileges by the department, after notice and hearing;
   (3) No person shall possess any firearm or weapon in any public hunting area during a closed
        season or on non-hunting days during open seasons, as provided in Exhibits 1 through 12,
        attached at the end of this chapter. No person shall possess any illegal weapon on a public
        hunting area at any time;
   (4) No person shall possess a loaded weapon once they have filled their bag limit;

Much better reference in terms of readability compared to the others I found.   :thumbsup:
-- Melvin Udall

DocMercy

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »
I'm not sure we'll ever see wolves in Hawaii, but this video makes me look at them in a new light. Not sure if the story is based on a real story, or a fictional script.

Treat every wolf like a loaded set of Jaws. Should you ever visit Oregon, be careful.

sackman

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 04:33:43 PM »
I completed an online hunting course this weekend, and noticed a few topics they did not cover. Here are the questions:

1.  While a few dogs can naturally tolerate gunfire, that is not most dogs.  I have 3 bird dogs and all of them had to be taught (conditioned) to tolerate gunfire and loud noises.
2.  A)  Get in shape before you go hunting.  Walk with a weighted backpack and do squats.  B) De-bone the animal in the field.  I don't know why people carry out the whole carcass.  If you de-bone in the field, you are only carrying out 25-30% of the overall weight.  And C)  Take your time carrying it out.  Hydrate often and rest as needed.
3)  Don't hunt alone.  If you absolutely must hunt alone, make sure people know where you are going and don't take crazy risks.
4)  yes.  The proximity exception was mentioned earlier.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 11:00:40 AM by sackman »

sackman

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 04:35:25 PM »
No Glock 17 or 19 unless you switch to a 5in barrel!

9mm not allowed for hunting without a dog, even out of a 5 inch barrel.

zippz

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 06:19:47 PM »
I've been researching PLB's for backpacking and remote hikes on the mainland, and international travel in less friendly environments.  I don't see a need for it in Hawaii as hunting areas are relatively small.  An alternative is a UHF handheld radio for emergency use only which is much cheaper and doesn't require a monthly fee.

But if you have extra money lying around, then there's no downside to having one. 
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

aieahound

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 01:17:38 PM »
9mm not allowed for hunting without a dog, even out of a 5 inch barrel.

And check the case length requirement for pistols without dogs.
Not sure even a 45 acp meets the requirement.

Edit:
Thanks Sackman. (Below)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:59:39 PM by aieahound »

sackman

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »
And check the case length requirement for pistols without dogs.
Not sure even a 45 acp meets the requirement.

No it does not meet the requirements.

(C) Straight-wall cartridge ammunition shall be 357 caliber or larger with a minimum
case length of one and one-fourth (1 1/4) inches (Exceptions: The 10 mm auto
mag and 45 win mag cartridges are allowed despite their shorter case length).

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:24:03 PM by sackman »

DocMercy

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 02:47:16 PM »
I ordered a 10mm Glock 40 handgun to meet the current HI hunting regulations. This allows me to move on to the next subject, bows. Tuning a compound bow to the right draw length and pull force is a hassle when there are multiple members in a household with different arm lengths and muscle strength. Considering getting a Last Chance Archery EZ  Green bow press.

However, this micro bow (based on a prototype crossbow) is an interesting alternative.

When this goes into production, Uncle Joe of WGS should order some.