CCW Instructors for Oahu (Read 2503 times)

changemyoil66

CCW Instructors for Oahu
« on: November 18, 2022, 08:49:08 AM »
With the new rules coming into effect of 11/20; I hope you all are preparing to submit your lesson plans to HPD as required by the rules.  Since HPD has to approve all instructors, see rules section to what has to be covered in the 4 hours.

With that being said, there is also no word on what specifics HPD is requiring.  Since this is new to them.  But IMO, I expect them to screw with instructors like how they did with Taser sellers.  Maybe they might even put out specifics, no one knows yet.

So the point of this post is to start getting ready and don't just wait until the last moment to then have the lessons ready, which might take an additional weeks to month to plan.

This also includes that it's unknown what credentials are acceptable.  If HPD was gool, they would just say any NRA Instructor can teach it and no other credentials are required...that's IF they were cool.

Stack_Xchange

Re: CCW Instructors for Oahu
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 09:28:20 AM »
I just hope this isn't one of those things that "only a few" people are certified and there are ridiculous requirements like 10 million dollar liability insurance to teach these classes. Just wait, it's 2024 and no one has their permits yet because there are no instructors.

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 09:47:19 AM »
I just hope this isn't one of those things that "only a few" people are certified and there are ridiculous requirements like 10 million dollar liability insurance to teach these classes. Just wait, it's 2024 and no one has their permits yet because there are no instructors.

The way HI handled Taser sellers, I wouldn't expect anything less.  Good thing HIFICO submitted a UIPA to the AG's office to find out about the delay.  And the AG reported the FBI said no to HPD's use of their background check system for sellers since NCICS isn't used for this.  And the apps sat on HPD's desk until the AG inquired.  Then magically, the approvals were given within a week or 2. '

Then the Maui city counsel didn't have their ordinance hearing until a lawsuit was filed by Alan Beck (1 of HIFICO's attornies). The counsel claimed that no lawsuit was needed cause they would have worked on this quickly. And again magically once the lawsuit was filed, within a week the hearing took place.

nalo_b

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 01:38:55 PM »
Good topic as I wanted to know about this a well.

Rocky

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 02:26:31 PM »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:05:41 AM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

macsak

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 02:40:25 PM »
does not meet the double secret requirements of this section...

Never liked

15-19 (3)
The instructor shall also provide the Honolulu Police Department with a copy of the written
examination to be used, and the instructor’s verification application shall be rejected if the
written examination does not meet the requirements of this section

Stack_Xchange

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 01:56:24 PM »
The more I think about this, the more I realize this is probably their best strategy given all the recent rulings.

They cannot require you demonstrate "need" to be approved for a CCW, "sensitive places" are probably not a thing, etc. -- but they can just mass reject all applications stating you did not meet the training requirements. I just don't see the state going this route and conceding this angle by giving all NRA instructors et. al. the ability to administer the CCW test. Is there anything in current law that would give any "certified firearms instructor" the ability to administer these tests, similar to how any doctor can do the mental health portion of the permit to acquire? Is there anything in current law that establishes a baseline firearms test? I'm basically looking at ways the state could gatekeep, either at the "instructors" or the "test".

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 02:07:33 PM »
The more I think about this, the more I realize this is probably their best strategy given all the recent rulings.

They cannot require you demonstrate "need" to be approved for a CCW, "sensitive places" are probably not a thing, etc. -- but they can just mass reject all applications stating you did not meet the training requirements. I just don't see the state going this route and conceding this angle by giving all NRA instructors et. al. the ability to administer the CCW test. Is there anything in current law that would give any "certified firearms instructor" the ability to administer these tests, similar to how any doctor can do the mental health portion of the permit to acquire? Is there anything in current law that establishes a baseline firearms test? I'm basically looking at ways the state could gatekeep, either at the "instructors" or the "test".
This is why hifico is so important. The org has the means to file lawsuits if the state delays outside of reasonable. Not only sue, but coordinate instructors/applicants to get together.

The days of HI doing what they want with zero lawsuits are over.

Delay is the only tactic HI has left.

Maui Taser delay is a perfect example.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 02:44:24 PM »
...[snip]... Is there anything in current law that would give any "certified firearms instructor" the ability to administer these tests, similar to how any doctor can do the mental health portion of the permit to acquire? Is there anything in current law that establishes a baseline firearms test? I'm basically looking at ways the state could gatekeep, either at the "instructors" or the "test".

Nobody in government ever intended to issue CCW licenses to the general public.  Never.  Not ever.

The laws as currently written are being changed via HPD "rules" because the law never anticipated the need to define what a CCW qualification test needed to entail.  No licenses issued = no training or testing standards needed.

Now that the "poison pill" clause (must have exceptional need) has been stricken, the state government is scrambling to put actual training and testing standards in place.

It's clear they never intended to allow anyone the right to bear arms outside the home or business.

Can't really hold them to what the "current law" says when it was never intended to do anything but summarily deny all applications.

Any lawsuits to try and hold them to what the law currently states will be wasted resources and time, because the Leg will have changed the law before any legal actions are able to proceed.

We all saw it coming.  They never intended to issue licenses before the end of 2022 if they could find a way to run out the clock.

If and when certified CCW training is available, the state will again find a reason to delay approvals.  Holidays are a perfect excuse -- manpower shortages, KHSC is closed until next year (if then), shortened hours at HPD, trainers taking vacation time, etc.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

nickelzismoney

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 10:52:15 PM »
HPD can eat a steaming pile of dog shit. And I quite literally hope they do.
“No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall… you are never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrel

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." - Albert Einstein

Heavies

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 09:43:09 PM »
They could just ban NRA as a valid instructional organization, like they are doing here…. Oops. No instructors available, no rights for you.

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 03:15:09 PM »
Review and approval of recent applications to administer CCW course taking a little less than two weeks for review and approval.   :thumbsup:

Rocky

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 06:16:32 AM »
Review and approval of recent applications to administer CCW course taking a little less than two weeks for review and approval.   :thumbsup:
Weird, what's the difference difference between LTC Instructor and LTC applicant other than Instructor must have some background to teach and applicant must pass proficiency. 
Why can't the application approvals take 2 weeks.  :wacko:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 09:25:34 AM »
Weird, what's the difference difference between LTC Instructor and LTC applicant other than Instructor must have some background to teach and applicant must pass proficiency. 
Why can't the application approvals take 2 weeks.  :wacko:

To be approved to teach, one must have a self defense credential.  So I know a few who submitted their MAG40 (Masaad Ayoob 5 day course).  Where as the one receiving the instruction only has the 4 hours required by the chiefs rules.  So 5 days vs 4 hours.

I also know guys who questioned why they can get their long gun permit in 2 weeks and buy a belt fed rifle, but cannot carry a tiny pistol.  The 2 week PTA process is currently being challenged and was heard last week.  Alan Beck and Steven Straoumblough were on Oahu for it (HIFICO atty's).  This is part of the Yukutake et al vs. Lopez (AG).  I say part because the state settled the other part of this lawsuit about having to bring in the gun for physical inspection, even though they are still violating the judges order by making non-FFL purchases come in for physical inspection.

Alan argued that a NICS takes like 20 mins compared to 14 day PTA.  But the judge grilling him seemed to be OK with a 14 day wait as it's not an "undue burden".

The other part of this lawsuit that the state settled was emailed permits and staying open on Wednesdays till 6:30pm.

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 09:25:59 AM »

Does the instructor list need to be updated?