Shelf Stable Bachelor Chow (Read 11867 times)

Cougar8045

Shelf Stable Bachelor Chow
« on: April 28, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »
I'm trying to get my prepping in gear, but I keep running into a problem.  It seems like the available doctrines either focus on having things like buckets full of rice, or buying a bunch of freeze-dried stuff in a box.  Although the box does appeal to me, and I'm going to get some freeze-dried stuff for the old stockpile, I really want to eat the same stuff on a daily basis that I'd be eating in a disaster.  I'd like to build up about a one-month supply of food, and eat from the stockpile for day-to-day meals, replacing eaten items with a weekly trip to the grocer.  Here's the rub: I can't cook worth a damn.  I'm thinking I should still be able to do what I'm thinking, using items like Hormel Compleats (good for a little over a year), Kraft Mac & Cheese, Quaker Instant Oatmeal, etc.

So how 'bout it, preppers?  What shelf-stable, ready or almost-ready foods do you recommend?  I'm not trying to live off of MREs, so it's ok if an item requires a little heating or water or whatever, but I'm trying to avoid things like the bucket of barley.  What the heck am I gonna do with unprocessed barley?!  ???
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

WhatBu75

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 05:26:57 AM »
I have a lot of can goods. Like tomato soup, chicken noodle soup , corn fruits etc.  I have to get what the kids would eat. Also it's one less cooking vessel to use and no water. Say if I catch an animal (pig, chicken ,etc) I figure I can make soup with the tomato soup.

Inspector

Re: Shelf Stable Bachelor Chow
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:16:06 AM »
I have a lot of can goods. Like tomato soup, chicken noodle soup , corn fruits etc.  I have to get what the kids would eat. Also it's one less cooking vessel to use and no water. Say if I catch an animal (pig, chicken ,etc) I figure I can make soup with the tomato soup.
I am doing something similar. My wife is a picky eater so I have to make sure I keep canned goods of things she will eat. I am doing the canned goods for the same reason you are. It doesn't require additional water and I can open a can and heat it on my burner on my propane BBQ.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

WhatBu75

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »
I forgot to mention Vienna sausage!! Hot or cold can't go wrong. Lots of Hawaiian salt. Comes in handy

Dregs

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
Just get a truckload of spam and be done with it =Op

Cougar8045

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies, gents.  Canned goods are definitely a good idea, and I hadn't even considered that you could heat the stuff right in the can!

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

clshade

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:16:08 PM »
The jury is out on if heating food in the can is safe. Some concern about the liner of the can breaking down and into your food when it is heated.

Short camping trip? Fine. Long term survival food? Might want to keep a few pots handy.

I tend to think in basics for long term food storage. Instead of potato soup, I think canned potatoes. Then I can make fried potatoes in the morning, too. Canned tomato sauce can be used in soups or Mexican food.

Not exactly bachelor chow, though. For bachelor chow I get boxes of clif bars at Target (just over $1 each that way), add some nori and multivitamins for nutrition and call it good. :D

Cougar8045

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:25 AM »
The jury is out on if heating food in the can is safe. Some concern about the liner of the can breaking down and into your food when it is heated.

Short camping trip? Fine. Long term survival food? Might want to keep a few pots handy.

I tend to think in basics for long term food storage. Instead of potato soup, I think canned potatoes. Then I can make fried potatoes in the morning, too. Canned tomato sauce can be used in soups or Mexican food.

Not exactly bachelor chow, though. For bachelor chow I get boxes of clif bars at Target (just over $1 each that way), add some nori and multivitamins for nutrition and call it good. :D
Good tip!

Dregs

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »
Ok I'm not bad at cooking, but I'm extremely uncreative and extremely lazy, so I cook very rarely. So, which canned goods work out the best for me in my pseudo-prep? Fricken corn. I use that shit all the time. In fact, it's the only canned goods that I had to buy new ones of ("rotate").

Your steak too plain? Throw some fricken corn on it.
Pork chops too lonely? Fricken corn!
Corn-on-the-cob not corny enough? I gots me some corn-from-a-can!! Fricken-A!

Seriously though canned corn is awesome. It doesn't taste like ass like other canned vegetables (green beans and peas, anyone?). I use it almost every time I summon the energy to perform in the kitchen.

Another decent canned goods is chili (make sure you find a brand you like before buying a whole case of it). If you can boil water you can boil spaghetti noodles and just eat it with chili. Or microwave/boil a hotdog. Hell, eat it with just bread. Sprinkle some corn on it and go to town.

Canned tuna and chicken is another idiot-proof canned good, but prep is a pain in the ass after a while. You gotta drain the water/oil out of every single can, and unless you can eat it plain, you usually wanna garnish it with something (mayo for me). But otherwise it's super easy to just put it on a slice of bread and eat it. Throw it in your salad lol real men don't eat salad! Corn actually mixes really well with these.

GZire

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
So wait Dregs.........you're saying you like corn?  So is it good or something?

Kingkeoni

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »
So corny... :geekdanc:
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Inspector

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
Which do you prefer?

A. Yellow corn
B. White corn
C. Creamed corn
D. All of the above

Dregs

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
Brah why you gotta put color into the equation?  :rofl: I like 'em all! Creamed corn is especially good. Throw some bacon and boiled squash in it. Hodakine ono  :worship:

TeamSDSHawaii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Support Safety!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Self Defense Solutions Hawaii
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »
Costco/Sam's Club Shopping List:

This ain't gonna be cheap but it will make your month supply and more!  **** Note this is only canned/dry foods**** Fresh is always better, plus less sodium....

Go slow and stock up, or take the plunge and be preppared! Remember to rotate as you use and re-stock!

Bought by the case...

Meat, Canned:

Spam
Corned Beef
Cooked Chicken Breast
Cooked Beef
Vienna Sausage
Dried Prepacked Sausage

Fish, Canned:

Tuna
Sardines
Salmon

Veggies/Beans/Fruit, Canned:

Grean Beans
Corn
Kidney Beans
Pinto Beans
Black Beans
Mixed Veggies
Peas
Carrots
Potatoes
Mixed Fruit
Peaches
Pears
Cherries
Tomatoe Sauce/Paste/Stewed
Olives
Spinnach

Soups/Chilli/Stews, Canned:

Chicken Noodle Soup
Beef Noodle Soup
Canned Chilie
Tomato Soup
Cream of Mushroon
Cream of Chicken
Beef Broth
Chicken Broth
Various Raviollies
Various other Soups
Spagetti Sauce

Dry/Packaged Goods:

Macaroni/Pastas/Noodles
Dried Beans
Pancake Mix
Powdered Milk
Dried Fruits
Crackers
Rice..... White and Brown
Dried Potatoes
Flour/Wheat
Baking Soda
Mac & Cheese
Ramen/Saimin
Pasta/Soup/Mix Packets

Feel Good Items:

Chocolate Candies
Hard Candies
Cookies
Cake/Brownie Mix

Seasonings: Dry/Wet

Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Honey
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Shoyu
Vinegar White & Red
Wine
Mustard
Ketchup

Water:

You just can't have enough...
Cases of bottled water
5 Gallon Jugs
Bleach/Iodine/Water Purication Methods....

Oils:

Vegatable Oil
Olive Oil

Personal:

Soap Bars
Tooth Paste
T.P.
Etc.

Also Camp Stove and a grill, Lots of Fuel, Lots of Water and Purification.

Barter Items: Smokes, Alcohol, Ammo, Extra Supplies....

Just my .2 cents.... Don't mind me... Been doing this for a while... :thumbsup: :shaka:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:16:07 PM by TeamSDSHawaii »

Jl808

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »
A canned food rotation system would be good to have to easily sort and eat the oldest canned goods first. 

Something like this..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002ZH77GQ/?tag=2ahawaii-20

or this...

http://www.novaready.shelfreliance.com/the-pantry-72.html
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Cougar8045

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »
Costco/Sam's Club Shopping List:
<snip>

Also Camp Stove and a grill, Lots of Fuel, Lots of Water and Purification.

Barter Items: Smokes, Alcohol, Ammo, Extra Supplies....

Just my .2 cents.... Don't mind me... Been doing this for a while... :thumbsup: :shaka:
Thanks a bunch, man!  I'm going to print this and start crossing items off ASAP!   :shaka:

Inspector

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »
Brah why you gotta put color into the equation?  :rofl: I like 'em all! Creamed corn is especially good. Throw some bacon and boiled squash in it. Hodakine ono  :worship:
I didn't know that "Creamed" is a color?  :rofl:

My fav is the "White" corn on the cob grown locally on the Big Island. Now that's some one kine $#!T!!!!  :thumbsup:

wirecounter

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »

Excellent list!!!   :thumbsup:

Mahalo for posting.   :shaka:

Just gotta find a place to store all that food . . .

wirecounter

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »
Which do you prefer?

A. Yellow corn
B. White corn
C. Creamed corn
D. All of the above

None of the above.  Dregs like "fricken corn."   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dregs

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »
This is an awesome list man!! Thanks!

How do you personally use the following:

Meat, Canned:

Cooked Beef <--- use it like canned chicken?
Dried Prepacked Sausage <--- ?

Fish, Canned:

Salmon <-- use it like canned tuna?

Veggies/Beans/Fruit, Canned:

I don't know beans O_o
Kidney Beans
Pinto Beans
Black Beans

Potatoes <--- when to use?
Cherries <--- as snack?

Soups/Chilli/Stews, Canned:

Beef Broth
Chicken Broth
Spagetti Sauce <--- do you use other than for spaghetti?

Dry/Packaged Goods:

Dried Beans <--- dunno beans O_o
Dried Potatoes <--- ?
Flour/Wheat <--- do you have your own mill?

Seasonings: Dry/Wet

Honey <--- I like to substitute sugar with honey
Onion Powder <--- can you use this just like garlic powder? 
Vinegar White & Red <--- how use?